MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2014 10:30 AM  #1

Recoil Pads For Table and Light Bench Guns

Fellows - Have a question about allowed recoil pads for table and light bench guns.  Are rubber recoil pads allowed for both table and light bench guns?    Thanks,  Homer

10/27/2014 2:41 PM  #2

Re: Recoil Pads For Table and Light Bench Guns

empireplus wrote:

Are rubber recoil pads allowed for both table and light bench guns?

Afternoon Homer!
This is a question I will need answered also. I am putting on a table shoot in a couple of weeks and need to know the rules that apply.
After a couple of years, maybe Robin can have a set of rules available to print out and help the clubs that want to pursue this game.
Right at the present I have about 6 committed shooters that are going to try their hand at this shoot.

Well, I came in here to unhook this computer and return it to the shop and they are gonna try to recover some lost information I need when they changed systems on me. Hopefully I haven't lost 165 pages of "Just My Thoughts" where I had logged as a electronic diary most each night since 2008!
I know... should have printed it out before now!!!
Catch you all in a day or two!
Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

10/27/2014 3:19 PM  #3

Rubber recoil pads are NOT allowed on table guns, open or hunter class. I won't swear to it but I think you can use them on light bench guns. Table guns must have a solid butt plate, brass, steel, wood, leather etc. Light bench guns may also have a false muzzle, table guns not.
Mark

Last edited by smokinbuck (10/27/2014 3:20 PM)

10/27/2014 5:11 PM  #4

Thanks guys for the reply.  Was afraid table guns could not have rubber recoil pads.  Restoring a Hopkins & Allen underhammer 45 caliber (original rubber pad) for future table gun and will have to come up with something other than rubber for a recoil pad.  Need the length of pull (6'4") not for recoil. Any suggestions?   Thanks,  Homer

10/27/2014 6:54 PM  #5

Easiest way I can think of is to duplicate your recoil pad profile in wood, using the same thickness as the rubber if that fits. I did that and then put a brass plate and toe piece on the wood extension. Watch how much weight you are adding.
Mark

10/27/2014 7:38 PM  #6

Thanks Mark.  Yea I have thought of this as one option.  Don't like the sound of how it may look (kinda anal) but it seems the only viable way.  I am big on tradition but bench (table) shooting seems a little removed from my flintlock offhand target and hunting shoots.  I would not be real upset about a rubber pad on table guns but I understand there should be limits.   Will continue with plans for a wooden extention with perhaps a steel hooked plate.  Will be under 13lb.

Thanks again,   Homer 

10/27/2014 7:45 PM  #7

John,
Detailed rules and regulations have been submitted to the NMLRA board. They have agreed to include table shooting in the Spring and Fall shoot program beginning in 2015 on a probationary basis. The rules should be approved in December. In the meantime the basic idea and current specs are listed at the beginning of the table shoot section of the index under "how to". If you, or anybody, has any questions please let me know.
Mark

10/28/2014 9:43 AM  #8

This one doesn't load from the front, but here's one I did. I restocked this Martini 12/15 that was a basket case. The precarve came as a rejected item--inconsistent curl. The stock was shorter than I wanted, so I made this extension out of purpleheart which is pretty hard stuff. You could use any really hard wood. Ebony if you have the bucks and the time. Ipe is available as decking material and almost as hard as ebony. You might find a small scrap of some dense tropical hardwood if you ask around. Oh--sharp tools and patience.

Last edited by Kermit (10/28/2014 10:41 AM)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

10/28/2014 12:57 PM  #9

Kermit - Very nice job.  Will look around at the wood store.  Like the dark wood for the extension..   My stock is walnut.  A dark wood would look ok.  Ebony very expensive!    Thanks,  Homer

10/28/2014 6:16 PM  #10

Homer, take a look at "bubinga." It's hard without being impossible, nice tight dense grain, and a great red color that looks good with walnut. I used bubinga with claro walnut when I was still building custom furniture. And you don't have to buy it by the pound like you do ebony.

10/29/2014 9:05 AM  #11

Thanks Kermit.  Will go to the local wood store and see what they have.   Homer

10/31/2014 8:39 AM  #12

Hey, Kermit
It seems to me like years ago. I work some bubinga , along with a few other woods that I work. I was told that I should take some fairly special precautions as you can proved to be extremely hard on your respiratory system. It sounds like you may, out of a profession that would have good knowledge of this could you please give me some insight.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

10/31/2014 1:25 PM  #13

Well, the short answer (and what most folks don't want to hear) is that ALL wood dust is bad for you! Bubinga in particular isn't among the worst, but I did personally have a little trouble with it. It's usually the dust that gets you, so any power machining and all sanding are troublesome. Most amature woodworkers just need to ALWAYS wear at least a dust mask and wash your hands. The last one gets ignored more than the first, surprisingly. Probably the greatest risk from wood dust exposure is actually nasal cancer, so breathing the stuff is obviously to be avoided. You wouldn't look so handsome without your nose. Swallowing it isn't good either, which is why you wash your hands.

Woods vary greatly from not so bad or irritating all the way to YEW, which is probably the absolutely most poisonous I know of. I learned that AFTER doing a major turning project with
Pacific Yew. Wenge isn't rated as very bad, but my first exposure knocked me flat and sensitized me to it so that I couldn't even tolerate dust on my skin. Almost as bad for me are all walnuts. I worked with a lot of Western Red Cedar on boat projects, and the stuff is really bad. Oleander is nasty. So is sassafras. Assume that tropicals are not good for you, but that doesn't mean you should assume domestic woods are safe. Not. Green wood is usually worse than the same wood when it's dry, but again, that doesn't mean dry wood is safe.

Bottom line: lung protection, eye protection, wash your hands or even wear nitrile gloves, change your clothes and shower at the end of the workday. And remove splinters and slivers as soon as you get them. Some woods go septic really quickly. Infections are not fun.

My doc gave me some good advice years ago. Go home and Google the name of the wood and the word "toxicity," like "Western Red Alder toxicity" or "American Cherry toxicity." I'll also post some info over on one of the more general headings so more folks can pick it up.

Sorry if the news sounds all bad, but we know a lot more than we used to, and we also have ways to be safer and stay healthier. I wore (still do) a power face shield that filtered all the air that reached my face. Without it, my option was to give up woodworking.

Last edited by Kermit (10/31/2014 1:52 PM)

10/31/2014 1:59 PM  #14

Thanks, Kermit I hadn't thought about putting the wood type and toxicity together in a Google search, but it makes sense. Anyway they sure aninput. Your counsel is timely and good

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

10/31/2014 10:05 PM  #15

i used black plastic as a spacer under metal butt  plate it was westing house insulator board .all i need was  1/2 inch worked and looked .great .most guys just try and find a piece of same kind of wood close to same color use it ti lenghten stock .seen them do the same thing to top line if top of stock is to low

dag

Board footera