MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2014 6:33 PM  #1

Most Popular Discipline of Muzzle Loading Target Shooting

Well Kermit's post on the Schuetzen rifle has got me to thinking about...  What is the most popular target shooting discipline of our sport?  I'm guessing it's "Offhand" but perhaps I'm wrong.  I know my local club probably shoots 70% Offhand, 20% X-Sticks, and 10% (or less) Over the Log.  We've never had a muzzle loading trap shoot, nor a dedicated muzzle loading hand gun match.  Never had a bench shoot either that I can recall.

Pretty much all our shooting comps are, Offhand.  How about the rest of the world?

Joe

6/22/2014 9:48 PM  #2

Re: Most Popular Discipline of Muzzle Loading Target Shooting

Our club shoots about 50% bench and 50% off hand and some pistol shooting. When my wife and I attend territorials and the like I shoot mostly bench and some off hand, while she and Alan shoot pistol and some off hand and bench. They don't let me shoot pistol very often, because I whine when they beat me to bad.

Michael Jay

6/22/2014 11:20 PM  #3

Our club shoots 50% offhand rifle and 50% pistol.  Michael and I are in different clubs.  Michael gets beat at pistol because he won't practice.

Alan

"Align the sights properly on that part of the target required for your group to center in the target area and cause the hammer to fall without disturbing that alignment."  USAMTU Pistol Marksmanship guide.  The Army makes pistol shooting easy!

10/02/2014 9:23 PM  #4

My club has just about quit shooting any type muzzleloaders competively. We used to have about 10 dedicated shooters but this has dwindled to about 3.
Our club does host a Missouri Off Hand shoot. Go to www.missourioffhand.org for some explaining. My club is listed as Millersburg or Owl Creek Gun Club.
There are 20 shoots (April thru October) in the MOHA shooting schedule and we have about 50 or so shooters still active shooting. At the heyday in the 90's that number was near 150! Most all these shoots have disciplines for rifle, pistol,shot gun and smooth bores. Lots of shooting for 2 day shoots.

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

10/07/2014 7:12 PM  #5

We do a lot of off hand and AMP [ any military position]  shooting.  Most shoot prone at 100 yds but some prefer cross sticks . Easier on older bodies. These are all round ball matches, however, I have traded in my Sharps 45-100 for a muzzleloader bullet rifle for the long range matches [ 800-1000 yds ].
Not many of us, but it sure is fun !

10/09/2014 6:24 PM  #6

My club shoots every other Sunday from the middle of April till no later than Sept 15. I'm the chairperson for the Muzzleloader Group. We shoot 5 offhand shots at 25 yds, 5 offhand shots at 50 yds, 5 cross stick shots at 50 yds, and 5 cross stick shots at 100 yds in our sanctioned matches.
Jack

Board footera