MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2014 2:40 PM  #1

.45 As A Viable Chunk Gun Caliber?

What's your thoughts on this?

Joe

7/26/2014 2:49 PM  #2

Re: .45 As A Viable Chunk Gun Caliber?

I hear many say that a 50 caliber is about the minimum. However I do see many people using a 45 and effectively. I'm sure that on extremely windy days they might have their issues however I would believe that a 45 is a viable caliber.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

7/26/2014 3:51 PM  #3

It depends how you view target shooting.  I do whatever sounds like a fun thing to try, or is traditional.  If you want to win, ask the lastest winner of the biggest chunk gun shoot in your area.  --- I shoot a 50 caliber 1:72 twist, Ed Rayl barrell because I won it in a match ~10 years ago.  It reminds me of good people and a fun shoot.  

I polished up the crown this year, got a new pair of high-index glasses, fiddled with my spotter, and went back to a powder/patch/ball/lube combination that worked good in the past.  Now I can place in matches. 

I think 45 caliber would be good in a 12-14 lb rilfle with a long barrel, made up in the Soddy style.  (Soddy was a town near Chatanooga, TN where they shot matches.  It is now a suburb called Soddy-Daisy)  '''''' just a few thoughts while I wait out the rain '''''

Last edited by WalterF (7/26/2014 3:53 PM)

7/26/2014 4:53 PM  #4

Reason I ask is that I can get my hands on a .45 GMB 1 in 60 twist - 1" x 42"...  This would be an easy fit for me to remove my 1" x 42" .40 GMB w/ 1 in 48 twist from my existing Chunk rifle, thereby covering both Chunk and Table shooting.  I thought about a .50 cal, but I don't want to lighten up the rifle to much.  As of right now it is setting just under 13 pounds (12 7/8 lbs).

Several have said they didn't feel the .40 was a good Chunk rifle round, but would be good for the Table shoots.

Anyone have Ed Rayl's phone number?  If so, could you PM it to me.  I've bought two Ed Rayl barrels in the past, but that was years ago through Muzzle Builders Supply.  

Joe

7/26/2014 8:42 PM  #5

Candle Snuffer wrote:

As of right now it is setting just under 13 pounds (12 7/8 lbs).  

Snuffer . Just a thought here, and this is not in any way, just pointing you I have noticed that some of the guys are trying to build their table rifles right as close to 13 pounds as they possibly can, which is an idea that I have absolutely no issue with. I was talking to a friend on a way to shoot last week about this very subject, scales, will differ just a little bit and it depends on the type of scale that that particular range uses, I know my table rifle weizen right at 12.6 when I was over at death when it weighed in at about 12.5 . It will be interesting as the game grows to see how much difference between scales, there are. So you may want to leave yourself a bit of room on the table game. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to post this up in the table. Section to I think it would be good information for those whom are trying to get into. Gotta go for now. Talk to you later

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

7/26/2014 9:41 PM  #6

MMprwarner wrote:

Candle Snuffer wrote:

As of right now it is setting just under 13 pounds (12 7/8 lbs).  

Snuffer . I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to post this up in the table. Section to I think it would be good information for those whom are trying to get into. Gotta go for now. Talk to you later

I don't mind at all.  I never thought about the weigh in aspect of the scales.  Good catch.

Joe

9/28/2014 9:41 AM  #7

I have a Ron Borron .45 caliber chunk gun. I called Ron when I bought it. He told me a story about having built the gun for someone and was going to deliver it to him at an over the log shoot. The gentleman didn't show up to pick up his rifle so Ron entered the match with the rifle and won. Forty-five caliber out of the box.

George

9/28/2014 6:35 PM  #8

DON AND JON GETZ LOWELL AND JOEL GUARD ME AND QUITE A FEW OTHER HAVE SHOT 45 S VERY WELL. DAWN SWAGERT HAS CLEANED THE MENS CLOCKS QUITE OFTEN WITH HERS. SHE IS ONE OF THE VERY FEW UNDER 5 PEOPLE TO SHOOT UNDER 1/2 INCH 3 SHOTS IN LARGE MATCH.THAT WITH HER INFANOUS VEGO -M ATIC GUN.SHE HAS WON A LOT OF MEDALS WITH IT.MOST TOP SHOOTERS PREFER THE 50 .JUST A SLIGHT WIND ADVANTAGE. THE REAL ANSWER THEY ARE ABOUT EVEN.

DAG

Last edited by dag (9/28/2014 6:37 PM)

Board footera