MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2014 11:09 PM  #1

NMLRA Rules?

Has the NMLRA posted any rules or guidelines for table shoots yet? They would probably set the benchmark standard on equipment, targets, rules and so forth. Eventually, if they haven't already?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

8/02/2014 5:43 AM  #2

Re: NMLRA Rules?

Kermit I am currently putting together a proposal which would put the table shoot at frendship as a sanctioned event. I am getting a real education on what it takes to get to proposal put together. As soon as I get it put together I will be running it past a couple of the other table shooters regionally. I hope to presents it to the rifle committee at the fall shoot in friendship which of course means that it could possibly move to the Western if the Association chose to do so. I guess to answer your question we are trying to write the benchmarks now.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

8/02/2014 10:16 AM  #3

Large task you have taken on. Keep us posted, and be sure to ask for help and opinions. Just remember that some of that help might be worth exactly what you pay for it! You will be leaving quite a legacy with a new game for the NMLRA.

8/02/2014 11:02 AM  #4

Kermit,
Being close by and being involved with the table game on a first hand basis, I assure you that what everyone sees that Robin is doing is only a small part of what he does.This game is starting to take on a life of its own and requires constant attention. A few of us make ourselves available as sounding boards and I know that Robin takes input from all of the board members and participants very seriously.
Mark

8/02/2014 4:23 PM  #5

For sure, Mark. Taking on a task like that sounds daunting to me. It sounds as if so far table shooting is varying club-to-club or shoot-to-shoot. Creating a standard that an organization like NMLRA can circulate will really help in the long run, IMO. Hope so anyway.

8/02/2014 8:54 PM  #6

From what I've been told and the shoots I've been to, most of the clubs are following the guidelines that Paul and Robin developed. Some of the changes that I am aware of have been made on an individual club basis for whatever the reason may be. Just like chunk shooting as long as there is a standard for the equipment  in place, other factors can be adjusted to suit the individual shooter or range that is holding the match.
Mark

8/02/2014 10:38 PM  #7

Right, Mark. I'm watching to see the equipment standard develop. So far weight seems clear, and no scopes. I was looking at the NMLRA guidelines for cross-stix guns, and that is pretty wide open save for weight and sights?

8/03/2014 12:19 PM  #8

I was just wondering why is the table shoot at 30 yards? A 50 yard match just makes more sense to me, chunk gun is shot at 60 yards or there abouts why would you cut that disance in half? Just Asking?

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

8/03/2014 3:44 PM  #9

I don't know for sure but I think that was the distance for these matches in their hey day. Robin will be along later and let us know.
Mark

8/03/2014 5:20 PM  #10

Mark is correct 30 yards was it distance shot in the Wabash Valley shoots. Which is what we used as a hevey model. When developing the current table shoot. We also felt while we were designing the table for people with physical challenges, that 30 yards would be a more appropriate distance.

Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

8/03/2014 6:22 PM  #11

Thanks for the answers guys.

Richard

8/06/2014 12:25 PM  #12

rhbrink wrote:

I was just wondering why is the table shoot at 30 yards? A 50 yard match just makes more sense to me, chunk gun is shot at 60 yards or there abouts why would you cut that disance in half? Just Asking?

RB

Last edited by dag (8/06/2014 12:51 PM)

8/06/2014 12:49 PM  #13

rhbrink wrote:

the main reason  is from the 130 year old mo shoots that paul used as first idea  for the table shoot . a rest and close targets for the younger and  older shooters to come out and  shoot and still  see the targets and sights..it was shot on sunday after church. it was made so that all the ages could shoot and shorter range.and be fairly competative. also  quicker.now the real reason according to several 90 year old gentlemen that shot their with their dads and grand fathers was that was all the room they had at the tavern where they shot and the distance is a legacy. their is one club down the road in mo that shoots  3 shot groups at 60 yards and has been doing it for over 100 years.that one draws top shooters and is very comepetative but a lot smaller group .

RB

8/06/2014 2:19 PM  #14

Dag’s response is not entirely accurate.
During the development of what we now know as the table shoot. We spoke of the Bloomsdale shoot, but decided it had too many safety concerns and as you will see in the posting that I copied and pasted from the fraternal order of log shooters website that the Bloomsdale shoot was not much more than a footnote in our decision-making process with all due respect to the gentleman that shoot at Bloomsdale and they do have a very nice shoot and I believe to have lasted that long, very successful. It was not the base model for what we now know as the table shoot. In fact, probably the only thing they have in common is the 30 yard distance.
You will notice that the posting written by Paul copied and pasted below was very early in the process and some changes were made before we actually had our first trial shoot and very little tweaking was done after the first trial shoot
The table shoot was never intended to be the Bloomsdale shoot it was never intended to be a bench shoot nor any other kind of shoot. It was intended to be exactly what it is, a way to keep older shooters shooting, Draw the interest of younger shooters and facilitate the physically challenged. Paul and I were fond of thinking that we had used some old ideas to come up with something new and different. Now you have a complete answer.

Posted by Paul on October 26, 2012, 6:50 am
64.112.218.34Back a few years ago Billy Burtt & I, heading back from The York, got to talkin about the possibility of setting up a match along the lines of the table shoots such as Bloomsdale. The Walbash Valley shoots came to mind also. Shooting simular to the matches described in Aubrey Williams book. These days Robin & I have been drawing up some guidelines & equipment for a trial run sometime soon.

Of course it goes without saying that part of our motivation is the fact that there are those among us who can no longer or are having trouble getting up & down off the ground at the chunk matches. Actually there seems to be little trouble getting down, it's getting back up that seems to be the problem.

First & formost it must be stated that as we set up guidelines & equipment for this possible form of shooting our motives are dictated by the directions that we have seen other forms of compititon go. We are trying desperately to have a ground work that will keep this game from turning into an equipment race. It is our intentions to set up a game where the spirit that existed in chunk say 25 years ago will not be allowed to be left behind by yet to be seen forms of tech. It goes without saying that no matter what rules that are drawn up that guns will be built that push these rules to there limits, but by placing limits at this point in time, we can check where these special guns are headed. We are not setting up a match for guns that exist now, we are laying down rules for guns that are yet to be seen. Many of the thoughts concerning rules will be in conflict with rules of matches that are already being held. But again as we look at these matches we see "modern nascar" as opposed to "shade tree mechanic" racing as it was 75 years ago. Also the rules would rule out some antique match rifles. Of course the old rifles ususlly do not pose much of a threat to the integrity of the game but new made rifles of 25 to 60 lbs would completely change the face of this game. It would become the bench line at Friendship. AND don't get me wrong there's absolutely nothing wrong with that form of shooting, we're just heading a different direction. Just as you can't shoot a Browning in a smoothbore match, there will be many rifles that will not fit into this match.

Some of the thoughts at this time:

A common bench & muzzle rest all will use,this is a given as without this some would have monsterous benches & others would have an old wobbly ironing board. And it's the way it was done at the matches a hundred years ago. Many old photos of old chunk matches exist where there's a common chunk all would use. No problem seeing where that's went.

Some gun weight & caliber limit, undecided at this point but will almost certainly be low enough to make the game more closely ressemble an off hand looking match as opposed to an unlimited bench match. Shooting out of a bag should be seen again. Personally I will enjoy leaving the house with a gun, bag & jug in the back of the truck as opposed to the pallet of goodies I fork truck in for a chunk match.

X center scoring.

Some form of peep sights, again the wording is not complete, but it will rule out $500 modern micrometer type stuff.

Possibily no teflon patch. Not sure what the patent date would have been but my gut feeling is that Gilbert Angel probably used a cast iron frying pan.

Don't start on the inlines Jim....... ain't gonna happen!!!

So wha'da'ya think? We can throw in a large sum of money & have a regular good old knife fight.

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

8/07/2014 4:00 PM  #15

I know that my "open" rifle is starting to push the limit and my "hunter" class rifle falls in the middle, but I second Robin's comments completely. Except maybe the knife fight!!
Mark

8/08/2014 10:05 AM  #16

Mark
I wouldn't worry about the good old knife fight. Paul's humor was unique. His remark about the large sum of money in a good old knife fight was his way of asking for input, with a spirited discussion. The throwing a large sum of money part was his way of saying don't be talking just to hear yourself talk.

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

8/18/2014 8:44 AM  #17

Last Friday, 15 August. The proposal to sanction the Table Shoot at the national events in friendship went to the rifle committee. We probably won't know anything more until sometime during the fall shoot.

I would like to thank those people who were used as sounding boards, editors and advisers. For those of you who that I did not turn to. There was no intent to slight or leave anyone out of the process. If you offered opinions they were listen to and taken under careful advisement. As a group. I think we put together a pretty fine proposed.

I would like to ask for your continued support. I would think we would have some sort of decision in just about a month. The only thing missing for me is Paul here with us.
Take care be safe.

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

8/18/2014 10:05 AM  #18

Boy, you don't let moss grow in your shade, do you? This is great. I'm really looking forward to the final wording, especially as regards rifles--barrel length, caliber, weight, action, etc. So far a dedicated gun is still in Phantasy Land.

8/18/2014 10:15 AM  #19

Kermit

Actually I have been working on for quite some time and just being kind of quiet had pretty much intended to bring it up after the fall shoot, but when you started this thread. It seemed like now is a good time. So I got with those wonderful individuals who helped. And here we

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

8/18/2014 2:51 PM  #20

Kermit,
Not to steal any of Robin's thunder but if the NMLRA doesn't see fit to make any crazy changes, the rules wll stay pretty much as we have all discussed regarding rifles, targets, distances etc. I think you, and everyone involved, will like what has been proposed and I can say that Robin has garnered some major support from the rifle committee and others who have some clout at Friendship. We are going in optimisticaly.
Mark

8/18/2014 7:08 PM  #21

It'll be interesting to see what the rules committee comes up with. I would like to see it as being more of a Traditional Rifle match for what that's worth. And I know that can open up a whole new can of worms but to mainly keep out the specialized Chunk guns, Light bench rifles, and cross stick rifles. Something that anybody with a pretty good shooting muzzleloader could shoot in and have a fair chance of placing and turning in a good score. And by traditional I mean a side lock flinter or percussion and maybe an buggy type underhammer. Reproduction rifles welcomed T-C's, Lyman's, and a whole host of others coil spring locks fine, I don't see where they are any kind of advantage anyway to me more of a handicap than anything. Guess just need to be patient and see what comes forth!

RB

9/01/2014 5:14 PM  #22

Robin, if coil spring sidelocks would be okay, is it reasonable to surmise that coil spring underhammers might also pass muster? Thinking the Allen Foundry actions.

The more I think about all this, I'm getting inclined to just keep trying with my .50 x 48" flinter. The sights suck for precision shooting, but I'm not ready to muck up the gun. At some point I may have to try a different gun though.

9/01/2014 6:06 PM  #23

Kermit,
Not trying to steal Robin's thunder but there are a number of TC's being shot with coil main springs. I don't think the Allen underhammer actions would be considered any differently. I certainly haven't seen or heard of any rules that would exclude them.
Mark

9/01/2014 6:25 PM  #24

Thanks, Mark. I'm just letting my brain idle while waiting patiently to learn what the NMLRA adopts.

9/01/2014 6:31 PM  #25

Kermit,
From the early feedback we have received, unofficially, we feel that what has been proposed will probably will fly. We are remaining optimistic. Take a look at the pm I sent you.
Mark

9/01/2014 7:36 PM  #26

There seems to be a bit of a misconception that the NMLRA will write the rules for for the table shoot. The proposal has been sent, with the rules that are desired, also what would appear in  program. As Mark said, we have received good feedback from some people I consider to be in the right places.

To answer your spring question Kermit I don't believe we want to get into inspecting springs in locks, it was the original intent to have this be a fairly simple game. So in short yes a coil spring under hammer would be allowed. I had kind of hoped that we wouldn't get to the point where we were talking the inter workings of the lock or trigger, so long as they were of a traditional style

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

9/02/2014 9:02 AM  #27

Allow me to explain something in my last post. I believe I use the comment, " so long as they were of a traditional style". It struck me later that the type of lock the Kermit is talking about, in some people's evaluation may not pass muster as a traditional lock. However, as I see it, it offers no competitive advantage over any other style of lock, this of course would only be in the open class at the national shoots and I would think would be entirely up to the club sponsoring a local shoot. I know there is one chunk gun shoot that is not allowing this style of locks, but it's their shoot and they can run it. Anyway they want. Great to be an American, isn't it. Can I get some feedback on this. Talk to you all later.

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

9/02/2014 9:22 AM  #28

Some of the other sites have decided that UH actions are not traditional and therefore do not speak if them. I disagree and have said as much. I agree that they should be included.
Mark

Board footera