MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2022 2:15 PM  #1

Blue or brown barrel finish?

Which is better or neither for OTL shooting? Thanks

Last edited by nedSchimmel (8/08/2022 3:13 PM)

Bigfoot is my frend
When I die please don"t let me vote democrat

8/10/2022 8:43 AM  #2

Re: Blue or brown barrel finish?

Many use a full length shader tube, and it wouldn’t matter. I use a shader over the rear sight and a small tube front sight with a hole drilled above the sight pin to make the pin head stand out better. I have a dull, rust browned finish on my barrels. 

Last edited by Okawbow (8/10/2022 8:44 AM)

8/11/2022 9:57 AM  #3

Is your front sight a globe type sight, with a small hole over the pin? Thank you for your reply

Bigfoot is my frend

8/12/2022 12:11 PM  #4

I made the front sight using a brass tube soldered to a sight base. I use a silver round head pin,(small head) soldered so the pin head is centered. I drilled a hole over the pin to let in a little light. I make my sighter target a round solid black circle on a white background, that fits inside the front sight tube with just a slight “halo” of white showing at 60 yards. I make a bright colored dot in the center that is just slightly larger than what the pin head covers at 60 yards. This gives two reference points for the front sight to go with the rear sight notch to insure that everything is aligned. 

8/12/2022 11:10 PM  #5

Very interesting Okawbow! My old friend Don Smith that shot with us in the Missouri Off Hand and down at Charlie's Old Farm had a front pin sight somewhat the same as you describe. I never got to look at it close but wish I would have.
Thanks for the explaination!

Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

8/14/2022 8:50 AM  #6

Thank you! Okawbow

Bigfoot is my frend

8/14/2022 2:11 PM  #7

Back to the original question. I wonder if it might be best to leave the barrel polished bright to reduce heating by the sun?

Board footera