MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2018 5:12 PM  #1

shooting a close fitting bullet from a fast twist barrel

Hi All , back when the only ml guns and barrels readily available  here were made by a local maker he made a 45 cal barrel with a 1in 22 twist and sold  a bullet mould to fit .. now the mould was groove diameter which made it hard to start the bullet into the bore and most of the shooters coped with this problem by just getting on with it however some of the more astute shooters tried different methods one in particular made a false muzzle I went about it from a different direction .. when  making a rifle using one of these barrels I used a short section of barrel which i coned at one end to accept the projectile easily then with a short rod shaped to fit the nose I pushed  a suitably lubricated  projectile through , with a little care lining up the grooved bullet to enter properly  these then   loaded  easily without any problems and proved to be very accurate , so much so that i often shot at  magpies at 200 yards offhand more in hope than anger because my fixed sights meant that I could not actually see the bird because it was hidden behind the front sight but I came satisfyingly close enough to keep trying .. I never shot the gun off the bench but a 50 yards Off hand shot plenty of possibles on the MlAIC 50 yard target .. Is this a common practice or was I on my own I was certainly the only one doing so at the time in NZ  ..Rob

4/19/2019 12:43 PM  #2

Re: shooting a close fitting bullet from a fast twist barrel

In essence you made a false muzzle, something common to target rifles circa 1840-1870. More commonly in the US than in Europe.

Board footera