MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2019 5:28 PM  #1

Bryan Station (Central KY) Table Shoot, Sat. March 16

As always, thanks to everybody that came to shoot with us.  The first shoot of the year is always a good time, as we get to see folks we haven't seen since we started our hibernation...or this winter, cold soak!  We were happy to see people from Kentucky, West Virgina, and Ohio make the trip, and it was David. K's first trip down our way.  I think he had a good time and hope he'll come back often.  It was a pretty nice day, though on the cool side with a bit of wind at times, but it was hard to tell that anyone lost their edge over the winter!

Carolyn cooked up a bunch of delicious food, pulled pork, sliced ham, beans, her special slaw, corn muffins, rolls with plenty of sides and fixings, including desserts, to which Sterling added his famous brownies.  Steve ran the  match and scored (thanks, buddy!), while I scored and entered. 

11 Shooters participated and strings were:
Bob G 2.4460
David K 2.4520
Bill D 2.4620
Carl K 2.8950
Bo C 2.9950
Sterling M 3.0570
Jeanette H 3.7260
Don R 4.0270
Archie H   4.0960
Bob McC   7.0390
Marvin I   8.0190

This was not a fun match to score.  As you can see, the top 3 shooters all shot under 2.5"!  The separations were minuscule, and the type of thing that makes me wake up sweating for a day or so afterwards.  As they came out, Bob G. defended his dominant position with some of his best shooting here, with David K. and Bill D. giving him a real run for the money.  Moreover, the next two shooters--Carl K. and Bo C.-- were still under 3".  Sterling M. shot a great match at just over three inches, and came in 6th.  In fact, I don't think anyone shot a bad match.  Bob McC and Marvin I. are Bryan Station shooters who have been steadily improving over the last year or so.  At this point they are getting some very good shots in and reducing the no-counters, to the point I expect they will improve significantly this year.

Bill D. won the Silver Eagle for Best X with an incredible 0.0360" in the third relay, but it wasn't an easy victory.  There were 5 match winning X's UNDER 0.1", and only one was barely over 0.2".  In fact, the match composite string (a string of the first place X from each match) was 0.9850", and I believe this is the first time I've ever seen one under an inch!

The 50 yard pot-shot was won by Bo C with a shot that touched his spotting shot!

All in all, it was a great start to the Bryan Station Table Match season, and we'll looking forward to seeing how things go this year.  We will be awarding prizes based on performance throughout the season again this year and it looks like it will be a nail-biter if this match is any indicator.

As always, comments and criticism welcome.  

Last edited by barton (3/17/2019 8:39 PM)

3/17/2019 6:52 PM  #2

Re: Bryan Station (Central KY) Table Shoot, Sat. March 16

Glad you had a great turn out. Some great shooting

3/17/2019 7:37 PM  #3

Burton and Crew,

Thanks to all for another great shoot, it was great to see so many familiar faces out and ready for some fun and food.

The food was excellent and plenty of it( love that cole slaw), plenty of good conversation as all caught up on what had been going on since the last shoot back in November.

And then as the scores show, everybody got down to some real serious shooting. I don't think I have ever seen the top 5 shooters under 3" anywhere before. There were a lot of shots under 0.100" trying to get the best X and that "Archie" Dollar but Bill Disbro's 0.036" stood the challenge.  Looks like it will be a very interesting table shoot season for sure.

Just one correction if I may, the 50 yard pot shot was won by Bo Courtney. His spotter shot and his shot for score were touching side by side.

Thanks to the great group of shooters that showed up and the great group of folks that took care of the food and the shoot.

A good time was had by all.

Carl

3/17/2019 8:03 PM  #4

Ken,
Yes, I really am grateful to the shooters for coming and putting on a good show.  It's always a worry that no matter what you prepare, it requires people coming!

Carl,
Tell Bo I'm sorry, and I corrected it in the text!  I'm usually distracted while the pot shot is going on, but the shooting in it impresses me quite a bit when I get to see it. 

Thanks for the comments.  It was a barnburner for sure!  And I took home the slaw .

3/18/2019 3:39 PM  #5

barton wrote:

Ken,
Yes, I really am grateful to the shooters for coming and putting on a good show. It's always a worry that no matter what you prepare, it requires people coming!
Thanks for the comments. It was a barnburner for sure! .

Well now! It looks like ya'll started the 2019 season with a bang! Those are some impressive scores and they will have to really knuckle down to keep up the pace or beat them in upcoming matches!
Awesome shooting! See what warmer weather can do!!!

Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

3/18/2019 7:24 PM  #6

Fantastic shooting for the 1st shoot of the year. It's going to be thought to keep up this year!
Mark

Board footera