MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2017 2:44 PM  #1

Ramblings of an older man!

Ramblings of an older man!

As I sit contemplating how to arrange this article I'm at somewhat of a loss at just where I need to begin, for the trail I have followed down through the years is quite varied to say the least! It began with what many here would refer to as 'suppository' rifles as when I was ten years age my Dad (God Rest his soul) bought me an '03A3 Springfield in 1950 which I became quite familiar with. This purchase led me into learning the fine art of casting lead bullets because Dad advised that if I wanted to shoot.....I had to cast my own bullets which I would shoot at reduced loads using gas checks applied to the base of my bullets to help prevent 'leading' of the barrel. Dad also required that the reduced loads would keep the velocity at somewhere around 1500 fps to help prevent a leading issue. Man.....I killed many a big rat around our barn with those loads until I went into the military! My military years kept me with the 'suppository' rifles as I was selected to shoot with the All-Army Rifle Team and there's no telling how many rounds of 30/06 Match ammo I fired over a five year period! After being discharged from the military I started an aviation business which offered me a little more time but since agricultural aviation required being on the job all summer and Fall...I was knocked completely out of the shooting seasons. Since early childhood and learning how to read I read all the usual available information concerning our forebears dating from the mid 1700s, to the Mountain Men era and the usage of firearms which utilized blackpowder. Somewhere around 25 years back I wandered off into shooting Black Powder Cartridge Rifles and I learned a lot concerning all of the various powders, loadings, compression ratios, lubes, bullets, and whatnot! I never competed because as stated previously....Dad taught all three of his sons that work comes first...then pleasure! I was what I call a 'Home Shooter'! Early on, prior to entering into the military I made the purchase of a Hawken type rifle as always lingering in the back of my mind was the question of what could I accomplish shooting a blackpowder muzzleloading rifle? Visions of Jim Bridger and Jereimiah Johnson for some reason kept invading my thoughts. After shooting the rifle I had made purchase of I was not impressed with the accuracy it delivered. I tried various loadings/bullets, powders...and the best I could get that rifle to shoot using conical projectiles was about a six inch group at 100 yards. I probably gave that rifle away and from that time there was a long exodus away from muzzleloading rifles. During the latter years of my BPCR experience the Inline muzzleloading rifles became popular! I didn't buy one! Still lingering in the back of my mind were visions of Hawken muzzleloaders with beautiful maple stocks and hickory ramrods! As I was forevermore wondering about what the accuracy of a well made custom muzzleloading rifle would be I finally bit the bullet and bought one from a major supplier. It's a half-stock .54 caliber left hand Hawken made by Green River Rifle Works out of Utah. I have not been displeased as it is a very accurate rifle and of superb quality in fit and finish. Shortly after I made purchase of another rifle I found advertised by Tom Watson over in Georgia. Tom had put notice of this rifle on the American Long Rifles site and after talking with Tom...we had a deal! This rifle is a full-stock flintlock in .50 caliber and I might add that Tom is a first rate builder in my opinion! Out of many surprises I've had in my experience with various rifles over a 65 year period of shooting...this flinter has been the most surprising of all for it has shot some groups for me that I considered astounding from 100 yards. It will shoot any loading from 80-100 grs. KIK 2F powder equally well. I pulled the Lock from this rifle last week and sent off to L & R Lock Company for a rework and I'm fully assured that it will come back in top-notch condition. The performance of both of these PRB shooters has been a real 'eye-widening' experience!

In conclusion I'd just like to add that I am really proud that we have a site like this to come to and relate our experiences and many thanks to those responsible for maintaining it because to do so takes constant care and watchfulness! At age 77.....you may have noticed in the subject title that I did not put 'old man'; rather just an older man because my younger brother who is 67 and a male nurse practitioner advises that 80..is no longer considered 'old'! Brother Dick advises that he has many old Vets that he tenders medical care to that are in their 90s and still going strong. I post this as sort of a 'public service notice' to any of our older shooters to PERK UP; you've got a few more to go yet before taps are sounded! So...in retrospect I no longer have to sit long hours casting bullets,  (Hornady makes swaged RB) cleaning metallic cartridge casings, resizing cases, trimming cases, cutting and rolling paper patches, etc! I can put everything I need in a carrying pouch if need be and go have a fun time in shooting rifles that our forebears were blessed with! I often wonder about how many 'Home Shooters' of muzzleloading traditional rifles that may be out there like myself?? There have to be many! I wish they'd all come to this forum and introduce themselves!

And this is how 'my stick floats'!!

Last edited by Sharpsman (6/25/2017 2:51 PM)

USMC: Giving Enemies of America a chance to die for their country since 1775!

SEMPER FI!

6/25/2017 10:10 PM  #2

Re: Ramblings of an older man!

Thanks for the post. I still run a bit of cast lead gas checked through the odd military rifle, The "national ordance" 03-A3 I bought in collage has run 50- 80 k since I was introduced to cast shooting by the ROTC corps there. Stories about my maternal great grand father was a source of insperation to me. He was noted for his skill at "over the log turkey shooting. According to the family stories many a turkey has fallen to the half stock caplock 29 caliber he used. At to young of an age I got to go to one match but I remember very little of the match other than Dad and I watched the shooting for a while. I do know that there were turkeys behind a log and there were boards that had an X cut in them with a knife.

11/16/2018 6:57 PM  #3

Re: Ramblings of an older man!

Hi , it's nice to hear that you older youngsters are still giving it heaps .  As I am just a bit older than you  ( 91) I wish that I could  offer a few words of encouragement  but there are few that I can think of at the moment  .. You may want to start a new build , I have started on a new flintlock but am in two minds as to which way i want to go  Lancaster Lehman or Verner .. when i say build I done't mean from a kit I mean from scratch .. I have already got a lock underway have made the cock and have the lock plate roughed out and some of the internals complete the tumbler and springs are yet to be started as well as the frizzen , .. the only real problem is my wife has dementia and i am her sole carer so time  is a bit short and at 91 ,  but fit as a buck rat  , time could be shorter than I would like to admit but a day at a time is about all you can ask for ,  just make good use of it is about the best we can do ,, Rob

Board footera