MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2018 8:12 AM  #1

Strap-on recoil pads..??

Are accessory recoil absorption pads (NOT on the rifle) allowed in competition such as chunk, table, and cross-stick shooting..???
Thanks.

8/24/2018 10:17 AM  #2

Re: Strap-on recoil pads..??

This question came up early in the table game. And I think I have heard it asked in the chunk circles. I don't know that I have heard anyone object to it. All the rules on recoil pad seem to refer to attachment to the rifle. And just my personal opinion. The fact that none of us are getting any younger might lead us in that direction. Another thought I do see people shooting with these shooting or Safari shirts on, which have a light recoil area on one or both shoulders. I don't see the difference. Just to stir the kettle a little bit why don't you get you a couple of shirts that fit nicely you would like to shoot in and sew some recoil padding on the inside of the shoulder area that would save the strap on shoulder pad from slipping around. Just an idea do with it what you like.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

8/24/2018 1:56 PM  #3

Thanks Robin. I wear a strap-on pad when I’m working up heavy hunting loads in my 50 cal rifles and it really helps. At the moment, I’m looking at a 54 cal rifle for Table, chunk, cross sticks, etc. and got to wondering if that pad would be a violation. It’s a 38” bbl, and (I’m told..) weighs 12 pounds.
Seeing some padding inside a shooting shirt might be a good alternative and might be enough in a rifle that heavy, even with stout loads.

8/24/2018 3:37 PM  #4

Cool deal let me know how that rifle works out for you.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

8/26/2018 6:04 AM  #5

I might not end up with the rifle afterall. The fellow who has it took it in a trade. He literally just got it (day before yesterday) and has put it up for sale immediately without firing a shot. He's leaving for Friendship next week, and will be putting it in the Gunmaker's Hall for sale when he gets there. I told him if he doesn't get it sold there, I'll take a serious look at it when he gets home with it. At the moment, I just don't have time to go through a serious evaluation of both the rifle and get a handle on how much I may or may not enjoy the types of competitions such a piece is built for. Down here there's no active table, chunk, cross-sticks or bench shooters I'm aware of to shoot with. 
We'll see.

8/26/2018 8:11 PM  #6

Don,
If that deal falls through I have one for sale that may be practical for what you're wanting to do. I can be reached at; papamh44@gmail.com.
Mark

Board footera