MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/05/2018 1:47 PM  #1

Bryan Station (Central KY) Table Shoot, Sat. August 4

As always, thanks to everybody that came to shoot with us.  Ohio, West Virginia, and Kentucky were all ably represented, and we really couldn't have asked for better weather in August .  Steve did a great job with hamburgers, hot dogs, fixings and sides, supplemented by a pot of beans from Marvin and brownies from Sterling.  Steve likes to shoot in these matches as often as possible, so I started the match, scored and entered, etc., with much welcome help from Bryan Station's own Jerry S., who caught on to the process quickly and on a few targets we cross checked was in very close agreement with me.  And of course, Steve jumped back in to help with the 50 yard match and on various other things.

11 Shooters participated and the top five strings were:
Bobby G. 2.190
Carl K. 2.538
Bo C. 3.230
Bill D. 3.711
Steve B. 3.8170

As you can see, Bobby G. is not letting up!  But nobody else is going to make it easy on him, either.  There were by my rough count, approximately 26 honest cut X's out of 110 shots, and the composite string score for the best X from each match was 1.233.  8 of eleven shooters came in under 5". So while it is easier to score 0.5" and no-counters, it is more enjoyable to see everybody shooting well!  Everyone wants that strap Sterling made.

Don R. won the Silver Eagle with a best X of 0.0630, just edging out Sterling M. at 0.0700.  We also announced a mystery prize at the end of the year for the Best of the Best X for the year.  

The 50 yard pot shot went to Bill D..  It seems like a lot of folks enjoy this short match, so Steve and I were wondering if next year we shouldn't make a slightly more formal competition of it by consistently measuring the winner each time (we usually measure those only in cases of multiple targets being close) and having a prize at the end of the year for the best 50 yard X in the pot shot.  Let me know.  My impression is that not everyone is ready for a full 50 yard match right now, but there have been some really impressive X's at 50 yards with ONE practice shot, and I think there's more skill than luck at play.

Next one is Saturday, October 13.  Looking forward to seeing everyone!

As always, comments and criticism welcome.  

8/05/2018 2:24 PM  #2

Re: Bryan Station (Central KY) Table Shoot, Sat. August 4

Baron,

As always another excellent shoot hosted by the Bryan Station group.

Y'all continue to draw in a large group of excellent shooters that makes for a great competitive shoot. Anyone there is capable of winning the whole thing and there is no sure winner until the last shot is fired.

Lots of good food(love the slaw😍), time for good conversation before the shoot starts and great competition once the range opens.

I for one would like to see a 50 yard table shoot, would be interesting I think. I know not everyone is ready for that distance now but might be something to consider for next year.

Thanks to all that made it all  happen, it was a great day.

Looking forward to October.

Carl

8/05/2018 3:25 PM  #3

Carl,

I love the slaw, too!  But I was afaid of gushing over it too much, again.

If the interest is sufficient, opposition is not too vehement, and an additional date with chance at success can be found, I'm all for a full 10 shot 50 yard match next year.  So, hopefully people will come forward in support of that!  We started out with that in mind quite a while ago, but it just never happened, especially as some of the feedback I received was surprisingly negative on a 50 yard match (not that there wasn't some positive feedback also).

It would not replace the regular matches, though, and the 50 yard pot shot has served very well at entertaining the shooters and giving us time to finish up scores and start working on awards, so we'll keep doing it unless folks lose interest.

8/05/2018 3:49 PM  #4

Barton,

Sounds great to me.

I'm on board.

Carl

8/05/2018 9:13 PM  #5

Wow great shooting guys. 👏👏👏👏👏👏

8/06/2018 12:28 AM  #6

Great shootn' there! Sone really good strings! Congratulations to Bobby G.!

Speaking of a 50 yard match, there is a place between Chamois and Linn Missouri where they have been table shooting for over 100 years. They shoot a 60 yard match, 3 shoots at a white 3" circle on a black background. The center is a 1" circle worth 13 points then out every 1/2" to 5 points. It's shot every Sunday from October to May.
If you don't shoot a 35 and up you're probably out of the running. They pay back about a dozen places, mostly meat prizes. A very fun match! Sorry if I've told ya'll already. My rememberer ain't what it used to be!!

I think a 50 yard match would be very good but us older folks with bad knee's would like the 25/30 yard matches better! Just my experience.

Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

8/06/2018 7:34 AM  #7

Big John,

It was a really good shoot for sure.

Wish you guys,weren't so far away, that shoot sounds like a real challenge.

Luckily for me I had both knees replaced about 8-9 years ago so I get around pretty well now for a 70 year old. Might have to get a golf cart  for the 50 yard matches to get folks out and back more easily.

Keep shooting,

Carl

8/06/2018 8:47 AM  #8

>>>>>Luckily for me I had both knees replaced about 8-9 years ago so I get around pretty well now for a 70 year old. Might have to get a golf cart  for the 50 yard matches to get folks out and back more easily.<<<<<
I'll be 5 years ahead of you this month. Been bone on bone in the knees for about 10 years. Just to stubborn to get them fixed and other health issues. Hopefully it'll be this fall 

>>>>>Wish you guys, weren't so far away, that shoot sounds like a real challenge.<<<<<
Carl … The strange thing about this match, they have a scorer stationed about 15/20 yards left of the big wooden block they shoot into. Put two circles on there, one on top of the other. When you shoot (can't cap or prime until gun is in position on the table) they go and score then fold out the number (13-12-11 etc.) on a large box and it has a large clock hand on it to show where you hit. He then turns the front circle to cover the hole and the next guy shoots. The score keeper in the shack records the score. No walking back and forth! charlie'soldfarmshooters.org I think. Fun match with an average attendance of about 30 most Sundays.

Big John 

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

Board footera