MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2018 12:24 AM  #1

Measuring devices.

What are ya'all using to measure the shots with?
Seems like it has to be very precise to get down in the .001 ranges.
We are using a modified dial caliper but would like to see what others are doing.
Thanks .....

Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

6/01/2018 6:40 AM  #2

Re: Measuring devices.

John,

Most everybody here uses the plastic NMLRA scoring guide that has all of the calibers with the center marked and a set of vernier calipers dial face or digital.

That seems to be quite adequate for the job.

Carl

6/01/2018 7:38 AM  #3

Second Carl's response every where I've shot, including Friendship.
Mark

6/01/2018 8:26 AM  #4

Gentlemen … that's basically the same way we score. The dial caliper has some clear plastic attached and using the overlay, we measure. I have pictures on my phone but can't get them moved over to the computer as of now.
A perfect 0.000 would make a nice addition to a gun room wall!! I'd even settle for a .005!
A couple of the shooters in the Fort Osage club have broken into the 1" bracket in their competition over there.
I think my personal best so far is about 3.03". I have a lot of work to do to get a shorter string. I'm now switching rifles and sights so the learning curve is starting over! "So little time with so much to do!" haha

Thanks ….. Big John 

Will Rogers

6/01/2018 8:27 AM  #5

Gentlemen … that's basically the same way we score. The dial caliper has some clear plastic attached and using the overlay, we measure. I have pictures on my phone but can't get them moved over to the computer as of now.
A perfect 0.000 would make a nice addition to a gun room wall!! I'd even settle for a .005!
A couple of the shooters in the Fort Osage club have broken into the 1" bracket in their competition over there.
I think my personal best so far is about 3.03". I have a lot of work to do to get a shorter string. I'm now switching rifles and sights so the learning curve is starting over! "So little time with so much to do!" haha

Thanks ….. Big John 

Will Rogers

6/01/2018 8:32 AM  #6

Don't know why that posed the second time. Computer devils I guess!

I would think as long as the same couple of scorers scored all the shots that's the best you could ask for!
Consistency would be there!

Will Rogers

6/01/2018 11:50 AM  #7

Big John,

Are the Fort Osage folks shooting a string under 2" for a 10 shot match?  That would be some phenominal shooting for sure.

Just barely over 2" has been the best 10 shot string over here and we have talked amongst us if it was possible to shoot in the 1"s from a table using a table gun under 13 #.

A few folks over here have shot some perfect spiders, the best I have ever shot was 0.008" and that was luck I think. I do keep my best X's, laminate them  and staple them to the wall in my shooting shed.

Keep shooting

Carl

6/01/2018 10:55 PM  #8

cking wrote:

Big John,

.>>>Are the Fort Osage folks shooting a string under 2" for a 10 shot match? That would be some phenominal shooting for sure.<<<
I talked to Richard yesterday just to touch base with him. He said there had been a couple of instances of less than 2" being shot. I believe it was a 10 shot match. They shoot for quarters and are loving it.

>>>Just barely over 2" has been the best 10 shot string over here and we have talked amongst us if it was possible to shoot in the 1"s from a table using a table gun under 13 #.<<<
Apparently they have done it done a couple of times. I guess it's possible. I'm happy to be in the 3's!

>>>A few folks over here have shot some perfect spiders, the best I have ever shot was 0.008" and that was luck I think. I do keep my best X's, laminate them and staple them to the wall in my shooting shed.<<<
A fellow might want to reminisce on the days of yesterday! I have some .22 targets shot at 60yrds on the wall.
Also some targets from down at Charlie's Old Farm where their shooting at 60 yrds with muzzle loaders. One is a .010, my best! They shoot 3 shots on a white 3" circle on black felt paper. Center is 1" worth 13 points and circles out every 1/2" to 12 points and 11 points on this card. They score out farther but if you don't keep all 3 shots in that circle your chances of taking home some meat are slim to none! I shot a 35 once and came in 15th!
The target is fastened to the felt with a sheetrock nail directly in the center. If you drive the nail they call it a "dropper" as you look down there and the target is gone! They start shooting in October and shoot every Sunday until Mothers Day in May.
This shoot has a long history of over 100 years or so on this farm. Look up Charlies Old Farm Shooters I think.

Sorry I got long winded!! ……. Big John

Keep shooting  Carl

Will Rogers

6/01/2018 10:56 PM  #9

cking wrote:

Big John,

.>>>Are the Fort Osage folks shooting a string under 2" for a 10 shot match? That would be some phenominal shooting for sure.<<<
I talked to Richard yesterday just to touch base with him. He said there had been a couple of instances of less than 2" being shot. I believe it was a 10 shot match. They shoot for quarters and are loving it.

>>>Just barely over 2" has been the best 10 shot string over here and we have talked amongst us if it was possible to shoot in the 1"s from a table using a table gun under 13 #.<<<
Apparently they have done it done a couple of times. I guess it's possible. I'm happy to be in the 3's!

>>>A few folks over here have shot some perfect spiders, the best I have ever shot was 0.008" and that was luck I think. I do keep my best X's, laminate them and staple them to the wall in my shooting shed.<<<
A fellow might want to reminisce on the days of yesterday! I have some .22 targets shot at 60yrds on the wall.
Also some targets from down at Charlie's Old Farm where their shooting at 60 yrds with muzzle loaders. One is a .010, my best! They shoot 3 shots on a white 3" circle on black felt paper. Center is 1" worth 13 points and circles out every 1/2" to 12 points and 11 points on this card. They score out farther but if you don't keep all 3 shots in that circle your chances of taking home some meat are slim to none! I shot a 35 once and came in 15th!
The target is fastened to the felt with a sheetrock nail directly in the center. If you drive the nail they call it a "dropper" as you look down there and the target is gone! They start shooting in October and shoot every Sunday until Mothers Day in May.
This shoot has a long history of over 100 years or so on this farm. Look up Charlies Old Farm Shooters I think.

Sorry I got long winded!! ……. Big John

Keep shooting  Carl

Will Rogers

6/01/2018 10:58 PM  #10

Don't know why that's doing a double post. I'll try to solve it tomorrow.

Big John

Will Rogers

6/02/2018 8:58 AM  #11

Big John,

To me the one common thread through all of these messages is there a lot of folks having a great time enjoying this sport of table shooting.

Folks back out at the range trying out different rifles, powder, patching and balls to find that one combination that will shoot that one hole group.

Older shooters that have seen their offhand scores decline now have a new venue that allows them to keep shooting, be competitive and and share an afternoon with their old shooting buddies.

It's a great way for young people to get involved with blackpowder shooting. They can learn all the fundamentals of sight picture, trigger pull, breathing and follow through without having to deal with holding up a rifle as they learn to shoot.

Better get off my soap box.

Keep shooting

Carl

6/02/2018 9:13 AM  #12

Good day Carl!
>>>>>Better get off my soap box.<<<<<
Stay right up there Carl! I agree with all you said. It does give us "older" shooters a new lease on shooting without having to stumble along a trail!

Seems like the younger people have to much on their plates to go relax and learn the fundamentals of muzzleloading. I don't know.

We just had our annual shoot and the junior classes had exactly "0" entries. The only hope I saw for the future was the Missouri 4-H team came to practice for the upcoming Nationals in Nebraska next month. One of the team, a 16 year old, aced the 21 shot course and a couple of the other team members only missed 1! A great group of kids so maybe there is hope!

Big John

Will Rogers

Board footera