MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2018 2:24 PM  #1

Anybody use the same rifle for over the log and table shooting?

Other than a few rule changes, does anybody use the same gun for both? I know a table gun needs to weigh under #13, no cant blocks or stabilizing devices and is allowed a rear peep sight. While a chunk gun has no weight limit and can use cant blocks, but open sights only. Is this correct? It seems that an under #13 rifle with a removable cant block an open sights could qualify as a table gun and chunk gun?
Is the bottom flat of a barrel of a table gun allowed to rest on the 2x4 stack while shooting? 
Thanks!!

Bigfoot is my frend
When I die please don"t let me vote democrat

2/03/2018 7:20 PM  #2

Re: Anybody use the same rifle for over the log and table shooting?

Yes I have one table gun/chunk gun that weighs around 8 lb.. It is a full stock 45 caliber Caplock I typically shoot it in a full Chuck gun configuration for either game I just simply take the can't block off and it becomes a legal table gun.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

2/04/2018 7:41 AM  #3

We don't have much opportunity for either chunk or table shooting down here in Florida so it's kinda hard to justify dedicated rifles for those competitions. I'm using a T/C Hawken style rifle with a Green Mountain bbl., no under rib, modified sights, and a tuned flintlock that allows me to shoot one hole groups pretty reliably and get decent results on the "X" target when I shoot off a rest. I made up a removable cant block for chunk, and use the bottom barrel flat on the Table Shooting rest. (Thanks Robin..!!)
FWIW: in my experience with both chunk and table...it's my opinion that once you find the best load combination for your rifle, the next most important thing to work on is the relationship between your choice of sights, and your choice of what you use for your "Spotter" target. After that it's practice...practice..practice. Shooting your BEST from a rest...requires you to master some fine points of technique that aren't nearly as apparent when shooting offhand.  One of my buddies down here consistently outshoots me (and just about everyone else both here and at Friendship) from the offhand line, but can't shoot a consistent group off a rest to save his butt. He doesn't work on it.
Sorry to be so wordy...hope this helps.

2/04/2018 11:14 AM  #4

Thanks for the information guys! This helps alot!

Bigfoot is my frend
When I die please don"t let me vote democrat

2/06/2018 3:41 PM  #5

Yes, pretty much.  The half stock in my avatar.  I started chunk with a short 1 1/8" (36") barrel in 40 call.  The gun weighed 14# fully decked out.  The intention was to try x-sticks, but chunk got me first.  The gun has a hooked breech, so easily changed to a 44" 50 Cal. barrel for chunk a couple of years ago.  The forty shoots really well at table range (wind does get it some at chunk ranges), so I took off the rib, riser blocks and shaders, getting down to 12#12oz iirc with a cardboard shader.  It is still open sights, so if I do shoot a table match, it's practice for chunk as much as anything.  I wouldn't hesitate to shoot chunk with the 40 cal barrel again either if I needed to or conditions were good.

Actually, the original plan was to put another lighter tapered barrel on and use for offhand as well, and I may do that if I go to a bigger, better chunk gun some day.  Before my shoulders went out, I shot the 14# version a couple of times off hand, and it was fine except I never had good sights for offhand on it.  A bit heavy.

The flint is a chamber's late ketland and as fast as anything I'm aware of.  I also have a percussion lock, but i just don't enjoy shooting caplocks and have used it maybe twice.

Board footera