MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2017 8:37 PM  #1

Long range steel target gun

Anyone here know what kind of gun especially the barrel they use for the long range steel target matches at FS. I am referring to the long barrell slug rifles they shoot. Thanks

10/16/2017 5:26 PM  #2

Re: Long range steel target gun

I have several "long range" slug guns as follows:
​- Pedersoli Gibbs which shoots well enough right out of the box to be able to win a world championships with. I am not sure who makes their barrels although several folks told me they have a custom shot in house to do them. They have very shallow rifling.
​- 50 caliber Douglass XX stainless which can shoot 5 mini balls into one hole at 300 yards. I use a 540 grain Creedmoor nose bullet, fiber wad and 90 grains of FFG. I put a Unertl 10 powder scope on it. Barrel is 1 1/2 across flats, 38 inches long.
-  45 caliber green Mtn 1 in 18 built in an under hammer, 42 inch long with approximate same load as above. Not quite as accurate as it has a tang sight.
​- 45 caliber gain twist 1 in 18 -> 1 in 15 barrel with NO marking, has false muzzle, bullet starter and hooked patent breech, 1 1/8 across flats, 36 inches long. It has a 15 power Unertl scope and shoots about the same as the other one at 300 yards.

​I have tried paper patching and I am lucky to hit the side of the mtn.!!!!!!!! I use Doug Knoel's lube which is pretty darn great. Wipe between each shot 1 wet, 1 dry.

Hope this helps some. About the only one to buy is the Pedersoli Gibbs or from a custom maker. John

11/12/2017 10:05 AM  #3

Are there any BP long range matches held? Looks like it would be fun.

11/13/2017 7:14 AM  #4

There are a few around far and away you might look up Lee Shaver as he is involved with the sport and makes a rifle for this game.
Good Luck!

Richard

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

1/29/2018 3:52 PM  #5

mulemauler wrote:

Are there any BP long range matches held? Looks like it would be fun.

There's a major event coming up in Phoenix in March, shooting at distances from 300 - 1000 yards.
See: World Super Shoot, Phoenix 2018

Late march is another long range match at Oak Ridge, TN.

David

Research Press - www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/researchpress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

Board footera