MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2014 11:39 PM  #1

Going To Work Up A Load

If it doesn't rain tomorrow (I'm off), I'm going to head to the range with my .40 cal chunk rifle and try to finalize a decent load since our club has an over the log match coming up on September 28, 2014.  I've piddled around long enough with this rifle and the "chunk gun" bug has gotten the better of me,  We just don't shoot enough of this competition around here, so my friend Jim Potter and I are going to try and drum up some interest (again).  I never have worked up a decent load for this .40, so I'm going to try and get it done and at the same time get in shape for some prone shooting.

Rifle:  .40 x 1" x 42" Green Mnt Brl - 1 in 48 twist. - 13.7/8 lbs
Starting Load: 45 gr 2fg Goex, Spit Patch, .395 ball, swab between shots
Ignition: Sidelock - Percussion

I hope it doesn't rain, I'm looking forward to getting a start on finalizing a workable load for this rifle.

Joe

6/18/2014 8:11 AM  #2

Re: Going To Work Up A Load

Snuffer, 
I'm certainly not an authority on chunk guns  but your starting load sounds pretty low to me. My chunk gun is a .50 caliber and shots 90-100 grains of FFFg but I'll use my table gun for example. My table gun has a .40 caliber Rayle barrel, 1 1/8"X34",with a 1-56 ROT. I shoot a .395 ball with .015 pre lubed patches in front of 70grains of FFFg. I also wipe between each shot with a damp patch and then a dry one. With that load at 30 yards I am able to hold 3/4"-7/8" 10 shot groups off the table. You are going to want to get your velocity up with a .40 caliber to counter any wind effect, even very slight breezes, with a light ball. Remember, you are doubling the distance. Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Mark

6/18/2014 9:22 AM  #3

An interesting discussion topic, Mark. I'm interested to hear what others think about powder charge, velocity, wind effect, especially at the short range of table shooting. The light little ball of a .40 figures in too, so caliber choice is part of the chat as well.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

6/18/2014 11:41 AM  #4

Hi Kermit,
I have had good success with my .40 at the table shoots but I also believe ghey need to  have adequate velocity to lower the trajectory and fight the wind. To my thinking, a more rigid barrel is necessary with the smaller caliber. At the chunk gun ranges I think a larger ball, .50-.58, is better suited. I am trying a 1-56 ROT in my .40 but would go to a 1-66 or 1-72 for the larger calibers. I still feel that a rigid barrel is one of the important features in either game.
Mark

6/18/2014 2:50 PM  #5

Ok, here is where I'm setting with a load worked up to 65 grains of 2fg Goex, .395 ball, .018 pillow ticking patch lubed with bore butter.  The target shown is covering three other potential spotter targets, but I settled on the one shown above as my spotter target to do some serious practice on my next outing.  I was just letting the sight picture absorb into the center 10X from 50 yards.  Also, I was fighting a 20 to 25 mph head wind, but when I put shots number 5 & 6 at 11:00 o'clock using a 60 and 65 grain load,,, I finished out todays session with shots number 7 & 8 with a 65 grain load - both of which are one hole at 6:00 o'clock.  So it appears the 65 grain load is my new starting point.

Obviously I didn't spend a lot of time with shots 1 through 4 using (45, & 55 grains - just 2 shots each and didn't care for the results in the their spread), but the three 65 grain and one 60 grain shot have shown potential.

Joe

6/18/2014 3:11 PM  #6

I do have one question.  Since I built this .40 cal rifle to be used in over the log shoots, I never worried about filing or tapping the fixed sights I put on it since we use a spotting target in chunk...  Have you guys that shoot chunk zeroed your rifle's to dead center even though you're using a spotting target?

Joe

6/18/2014 6:25 PM  #7

Snuffer,
I don't think you have reached your rifles potential yet.First I would move to FFFg powder and I would also move up into the 70-75 grain area. Keep expermimenting, up and down. I, and others, do not regulate our sights to point of aim. If you shoot into your spotter your sight picture will change as the spotter is shot away. I personally shoot to a 12 o'clock point about 1-1.5" above my spotter. At the matches you will see groups located all over the backer, not inside the spotter. Just like any sighting excercise, get your rifle to group and then move it to where you want it. If it is out of the spotter but close, you may want to leave it alone.
Mark

6/18/2014 6:34 PM  #8

Candle Snuffer,
Is there a reason for using Goex 2f? I have tried Goex 3f and Swiss 2f and 3f with .395, .400 and .402 balls and don't get what I consider a good group. I will try to shoot on Sunday with Goes 2f and post some results, my rifle is a Tip Curtis 1/2 stock. I use it mainly in off hand matches., but I am hoping to use it in the NMLRA Terr one gun matches ( 2 bench and 2 off hand ) in Oregon in July. Any info would be a great help. Thanks for sharing your results with us.

Michael Jay

6/18/2014 6:35 PM  #9

Thanks Mark, I will take your advice and run with it.

I'm also thinking I will need to move up to a .400 ball and/or at least a .020 patch.  While I'm at it I'll switch my lube to the Mink Oil from TOW.  I like that stuff better then the Bore Butter.

As a side note;  Is getting to a muzzle velocity of 2000 fps perferable as a minimum muzzle velocity in this game?

Joe

6/18/2014 7:16 PM  #10

Michael Jay wrote:

Candle Snuffer,
Is there a reason for using Goex 2f? I have tried Goex 3f and Swiss 2f and 3f with .395, .400 and .402 balls and don't get what I consider a good group. I will try to shoot on Sunday with Goes 2f and post some results, my rifle is a Tip Curtis 1/2 stock. I use it mainly in off hand matches., but I am hoping to use it in the NMLRA Terr one gun matches ( 2 bench and 2 off hand ) in Oregon in July. Any info would be a great help. Thanks for sharing your results with us.

Michael Jay

My main reason for using the 2f is to avoid blowing a patch in that small bore, which I fear will happen with the 3f and charges greater then 65 grains.  However, I based that on a .395 ball and .018 patch.  If I go to a .020 patch and larger ball (say .400) I think I eliminate the possibility of blowing a patch.

I didn't have any trouble loading with 2f today, and what patches I recovered looked good with a 65 grain charge.  I was also swabbing between shots.

Joe

6/18/2014 7:35 PM  #11

Snuffer,
.400-.402 ball with a .018-.020 patch will make a very tight load. You will probably need a loading mallet. I am using a .395 ball with .015 pre lubed Ox Yoke patches and 70 grs FFFg and not blowing patches. I can't speak to actual velocities but I think that will work itself out.
Mark

6/18/2014 7:51 PM  #12

Snuffer,
I can't post but if you get me an email I will send a pic of a group I shot with my 70 grain charge.
Mark

6/18/2014 8:00 PM  #13

Mark, I also have a .40 cal Ed Rayl barrel and it seems to me his bore tolorance is a bit tighter then the Green Mountain Barrels.  I get good results with his barrel with a .395 & .018 patch.

My Rayl barrel does differ in that it has round bottom grooves .010 deep, and a 1 in 72 twist.  I use this as an offhand rifle and it'll accept any charge I throw down it from 40 to 70 grains, 2f and 3f.

I do see what you're say though.  I've got a friend who shoots a .40 and I know he uses .400 balls, so I will borrow some from him to test with.

Thakns again.

Joe

6/18/2014 8:15 PM  #14

Sounds like the difference is; I have 8 grooves with square bottom at .012  and 1-56 ROT. Good luck, keep us updated.
Mark

6/18/2014 8:19 PM  #15

Snuffer I am shooting a 38 cal. 40 grains goex 3f. 375 ball .021 patch. Getting good results at 30 and 50.  Not blowing patches.

6/18/2014 9:53 PM  #16

I've got some time before our September 28 "chunk" shoot, so I'm going to see where the 65 grain 2f load takes me.  Afterall, it truly was awful windy today, and I haven't shot off the chunk for some years, so I'm pretty rusty at this right now.

Joe

6/19/2014 7:55 AM  #17

I measured from center to center the distance between each "2 hole shot group" and it's 2-3/8 inches.  The center "10X" is 1-3/16 inches (this is where I let my sight picture absorb into before pulling the trigger).  That's an awful lot of room inside that "10X" for drift (up / down, side to side).

I think my 65 grain load is solid.  It's at / or darn close to 2000 fps from what I gather from the Lyman Black Powder Handbook.

What I will change is my "spotter" target.  I will try an upside/down "V" with the black at the top. This should eliminate a lot of drift which I believe the current "spotter" target is subject to.

I will not change any sight settings other then drift [if needed].  I won't mess with elevation at all.

This is my plan for my next outing, which probably won't happen until June 25th (next Wednesday).

Joe

6/19/2014 8:04 AM  #18

Snuffer,
I haven't asked, and you haven't said, what type of front sight are you using? If you are using a blade with a large sighter, even though it looks like you are holding a consistant sight picture there is room for a lot of movement. You might think about a post and bead front with a round spotter. With the right size spotter it takes a lot of guess work out of the equation.
Mark

6/19/2014 8:17 AM  #19

smokinbuck wrote:

Snuffer,
I haven't asked, and you haven't said, what type of front sight are you using? If you are using a blade with a large sighter, even though it looks like you are holding a consistant sight picture there is room for a lot of movement. You might think about a post and bead front with a round spotter. With the right size spotter it takes a lot of guess work out of the equation.
Mark

Mark, it is a brass blade.  The Post/w Bead would be better, I agree.  I will set to work on that tonight after I get home from work.  Thanks! 

Joe

6/19/2014 7:06 PM  #20

Here is the progression of the shots I took Wednesday with the charge I used for each one.  This is my cardboard backer that I stacked new "spotting" targets on as I tested loads and what might make a good "spotting" target.

Joe

6/26/2014 12:45 AM  #21

was reading  questions and answers on ball size and patch ..all 40 cal or any other barrels depends on the drill bit size. our old buddy paul griffith showed me barrels by 3 differnt makers all drilled with the same size bit. they could differ by .005 or more just because of the differnce in diameter of the bits.next is the width  of the lands and groves.next  is the debth of the grove.last is was it lapped and how much..what i have found out is you got a getz -griffith rayle etc barrel ask maker  you will find out that all the barrel calibers   have a sweet ball /patch and powder charge that everyone has shot for quite a years.

Board footera