MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/27/2016 11:13 AM  #1

NMLRA official rules re: Sighter target?

This issue came up at the NC State championship this past weekend, question at issue was regarding the sighter target on both versions of the 6 bull target.

Rules states as follows:10010—50-YARD 6-BULL TARGET "1 sighting and 5 record bulls on tagboard or paper. X, 10, 9, and 8 rings black. When used at 50 yard offhand, the 7 ring is also black. Ring sizes are the same."

A scorer interpreted that the "1 Sighting and 5 record bulls"  Implied 1 shot on the sighter, and 1 shot on each of the  record bulls. I have been shooting NMLRA stuff since the early 80's and have always (until this weekend) been of  the impression that sighter shots were unlimited. Can someone reply with an "official" response. If there is a rule to point to that would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. - TJ

9/27/2016 6:42 PM  #2

Re: NMLRA official rules re: Sighter target?

I don't have any official rule to refer to but i have always used a "reasonable" number of shots on my sighter before starting my 5 record shots.
Mark

9/28/2016 6:32 AM  #3

TJ  It is my understanding that there is not a number limit of shots that can be put on the sighter target. However using friendship rules it is also my understanding, that you would only have 30 minutes to complete this target including sighter at a national event. Which would be the only restriction as to how many total shots you could take.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

9/29/2016 3:02 AM  #4

I asked that question of a range officer at Friendship at the recent Fall shoot. Sorry, I don't remember his name. As Robin said, the limiting factor is the 30 minute time for the relay, not the number of shots on the "practice" bull.

9/30/2016 7:36 PM  #5

I notice that the rules for some classes of competition do have a subsection of or similar to Number of Shots.  It would be good to extend this across all classes of competition to avoid uncertainty.

Claude Heale

9/30/2016 10:55 PM  #6

I also would agree the interpretation of the rule is that practice  / sighter shots on the practice bull would only be limited to the 30 minutes to complete the target.  Furthermore if one had a wild shot outside the rings of the practice bull it must be declared / brought to the range officers attention to be marked at the end of the relay before turned in for scoring.  Very interesting point on the rules as they are written.

Parkawood -

Board footera