MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2016 8:35 PM  #1

Traditional Pistol Build

So some time ago I got a barrel from a member here and a breech plug from a friend locally. I have been shooting the unlimited guns a lot and that seems to be my main focus of interest but I'd like to toy with a traditional pistol. I've also been interested in a build. So I'm combining the two thoughts. I've never built a muzzleloading firearm before either so this is new ground for me. Pictures below are of the barrel - a 36 caliber Getz - and a breech plug. The plug is fitted right now but needs to be shaped to be level with the top flat. Obviously the tang on the breech is too long and probably intended for a rifle. But I'd like to try bending it and having it go down the back strap of the grip. Time spent on this build is little so don't expect updates regularly. 

"The first step in finding your game is getting some conviction. If you don’t have conviction your confidence can be corroded."  -  From The Movie "Seven Days In Utopia".

6/06/2016 5:26 PM  #2

Re: Traditional Pistol Build

I've been thinking about building a traditional pistol myself after I get a couple of rifles completed that have been setting around for a couple of years.
​RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

7/13/2016 5:43 AM  #3

Re: Traditional Pistol Build

Jason, save that breechplug for a southern mountain rifle. Order yourself a standard flint style plug and install it or have it installed. You have a fine barrel that will make a great small game pistol. I recently purchased a .36 pistol barrel by Charles Burton (FCI barrels) and intend to build a long barreled 12 " kentucky style pistol out of it. This will be my first pistol, but I have built shotguns and rifles before. Take your time, get a precarved stock, and get all your components before you start your build. Also, if you have no one to mentor you, get a good book to show you how. 'The Gunsmith of Grenville County' is highly recommended. I hope this helps friend,  George.

Board footera