MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2016 1:35 PM  #1

Needing Sights for my Son's Chunker

Building a chunker for my son and desperately needing sights.  It's a 1 1/8" roundbarrel gun and I'm wanting to install a hooded pin front (dovetail) with a bolt-on rear u-notch like Paul used to make (pic included) where the base matches the barrel contour.  I don't have the skill or equipment to build the rear and my local machinist wants a mint.  The front dovetail is already cut to 1/2" as well so that'll have to be custom too.  Any ideas?  

I built a mount for an old WIlliams peep that mounts to the action for some bench shooting on the side....so the rear has to be removable.

5/10/2016 1:47 PM  #2

Re: Needing Sights for my Son's Chunker

On another note, always wanted to do a color-case hardened underhammer action but couldn't stomach the price to have it done or labor to attempt it myself.  A friend at a local manufacturing facility asked me to let him try some electroplating techniques and it turned out like this....I kinda like it!  Flash copper plated with a zinc purifier....whatever that means  Seems really durable too.

5/10/2016 2:54 PM  #3

Jon,
Kind of cool looking, does it shine in the sunlight? I had a flat black duration coat finish put on an action and barrel and like it a lot

5/10/2016 2:55 PM  #4

That should have read "dura coat".

5/10/2016 5:11 PM  #5

The color pops in the sunlight but still more of a matte look....not flashy.  On my big underhammer barrel I used CeraKote (mixed machine blue and flat back) since it was too long for any local bluing tanks and it turned out nicely as well.  Indestructible finish too but to the passerby looks like an old rust-blued barrel.

5/10/2016 7:32 PM  #6

Have you checked with Robin about the sight you need. He is making the sights the Paul used to make but I don't know about the round bottom base.
Mark

5/10/2016 8:47 PM  #7

I had been talking to Robin about a couple sets (he made me a pyramid rear to replace the u notch Paul made me in the earlier picture for my big barrel) but haven't been able to reach him in a couple months.  I know he was swamped with the York shoot and hate to keep bugging him.

Board footera