MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2015 3:37 PM  #1

Sgt. Alvin York Memorial shoot.

Hello Sgt. Alvin York Memorial shooters . It's kind of getting close to that time of year, and there are couple of new wrinkles. If you have questions, you may get answers to them in the following manner. You can email    yorkshoot@gmail.com    or go to the Sgt. York shoot website located at      http://prwarner.wix.com/sergent-york-shoot        See the contact us tab you may also visit the registration page of the website and download your free registration. Please note the change in address where your sending the preregistration it will be good to start hearing from some of you. Anyway, thanks for your time and if any of you have shoots you would like to get on my calendar. Please contact me.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

12/17/2015 9:59 AM  #2

Re: Sgt. Alvin York Memorial shoot.

My registration is in the mail. Looking forward to shoot next spring.

I've only shot 1 over the log match before. I used my 54 cal. flintlock deer rifle, to shoot a little over 11". I might have done better if the light hadn't changed so much during the 10 relays.

How do you adapt to different light conditions? Do shaders help a lot? Is a full length shader better than short shaders over the sights?

12/17/2015 1:01 PM  #3

that can be a question to which you may receive several  opinions . I have used both full-length shaders and  2  piece shaders. I personally prefer that 2 piece. The ones I use are about 6 inches long and nearly always use one, on the rear sight and since I already have a hood on my front sight , depending on the day whether I put one over it or not, I find particularly if it's a little dim when I first start shooting. And then the sun jumps out  the on over rear sight helps me a lot, but sometimes there's just no fighting the  mirage

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

12/17/2015 5:14 PM  #4

I prefer a full length shader and use one regardless of the light condition. First, a shader gives you the same light condition regardless of the sun, clouds etc. Second, I prefer the full length so I am not looking from shade through sun light and into the shade again. Shaders definitely make a difference. I have one that is a full length tube and it acts almost like the aperture on a camera lens. Like everything in this game, experiment or you won't know what works best for you.
Mark

12/18/2015 10:09 AM  #5

Mark,
I'm curious about full length shaders.
If you have a moment...I would really appreciate it if you could expand on that topic a bit, perhaps even a pic. or two.
Thank You.

12/18/2015 1:40 PM  #6

Hi Don,
I have 2 types of full length shaders; an inverted "U" shape which covers the entire Barrel and both sights and it  rests on top of the fore stock. The second one is a full length "tube" with slots to insert the sights in to. The tube is complete and has brackets formed to the barrel for attachment. I prefer the tube. I can't post pics but if you send me an email I will forward some to you.
Mark

3/26/2016 8:08 PM  #7

How many here are attending the York shoot?
This will be my first time there. I plan on getting to the campground Friday afternoon.
I'll be driving a gray Ford Focus wagon with Illinois plates. Look me up.

Chuck

3/26/2016 9:50 PM  #8

I'll be there, this will be number 10 for me.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

3/27/2016 4:49 AM  #9

I'm coming up from S. Florida. Expect to be rolling in Saturday morning to the park grounds.
Black tundra Pick-up with Florida plates.
I hope I get a chance to say hello to many of the folks from these here muzzleloader forums I frequent.

Board footera