MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/16/2015 2:15 PM  #1

Let's talk about what were building

I thought it might be a good idea to put a builder's  forum  in and maybe we could talk about and show pictures of our different building projects as they come along. You of course are still welcome to put them in the discipline   forum. If you wish, but I thought it might be interesting to have all the builds County collect up where people could see them all at one time I'm asking a couple of the members to do tutorials on how to attach pictures and such. Remember, don't be afraid to ask questions if somebody doesn't know the answer. It will certainly surprise me.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

3/18/2016 1:20 AM  #2

Re: Let's talk about what were building

HI all I am at the beginning of a build and I mean the whole shebang from scratch it will be an offhand rifle in 45 (nominal) caliber  I have settled on a 1 in 56 twist but am dithering about the groove depth settled on grooves wider than lands 8 thou deep .. am I in the correct ball park with these choices .. got the lock well under way but now having trouble getting shop time maybe 1/2 hour a day most days so don't expect a lot of quick progress almost forgot  doing a make over of my rifling rig as well ..         Rob  

3/18/2016 7:39 AM  #3

I have almost completed a small NW Trade gun for my grand daughters.  28 ga.  28" bbl.  from some walnut  I had around and parts accumulated over the years. I made several mistakes but I was able to hide them.       I have to finish the snake and it is done.

slacker

3/18/2016 10:18 AM  #4

oldtrobh wrote:

HI all I am at the beginning of a build and I mean the whole shebang from scratch it will be an offhand rifle in 45 (nominal) caliber  I have settled on a 1 in 56 twist but am dithering about the groove depth settled on grooves wider than lands 8 thou deep .. am I in the correct ball park with these choices .. got the lock well under way but now having trouble getting shop time maybe 1/2 hour a day most days so don't expect a lot of quick progress almost forgot  doing a make over of my rifling rig as well ..         Rob  

I think that a 56 inch twist would be excellent for an offhand rifle and I like the grooves wider than the lands. I recently have bought and shoot a couple of Rice barrels and the lands are very narrow at least more narrow that I thought was proper but man do they shoot! They seem to take a bigger ball and a tight patch but once figured out they shoot very well. I still tend to think that the ball needs a little more support with a little bit wider lands than the recent Rice barrels but it's hard to argue with success. I do like the grooves to be about .010 deep though I think?

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

3/18/2016 12:12 PM  #5

I am  also nearly completing a Hawken, DeHass 36" tapered bbl.  .45 cal.   I used the one piece patent breech.  It needs a nose cap and sights.

Also I have the parts assembled for a Leman Trade Rifle,   .45 ,  GM bbl. for my next project.
I will have my Harley guy turn down the bbl to oct. to round.

slacker

Board footera