MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2016 7:56 AM  #1

T/C barrel, Flint

Does anyone know of a barrel that can be made for a smaller caliber 36, or 40 to fit a 15/16 T/C Hawkin flint? I have been told that the breech plug is the issue but I don't know enough about it to completely understand. If not then a barrel for my Lyman GPR percussion will have to do. Do you have any suggestions on who to use?

Longone

Last edited by Longone (3/11/2016 7:56 AM)

3/11/2016 9:01 AM  #2

Re: T/C barrel, Flint

Contact Ed at Cain's Outdoors in Williamstown, WV. They deal with a lot of TC stuff.
Matk

3/11/2016 9:52 AM  #3

One thing that you need to consider is that when you go to a smaller bore the weight goes up. That may not be an issue with you  but  if the barrel is long it will add pounds. TC made their breech plugs with an odd ball thread on most of them so if you buy a new barrel you will need to buy a breech plug to fit that barrel. There are suppliers that have breech plugs made to fit the TC rifle and with standard threads and then that takes considerable fitting usually.

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

3/11/2016 10:08 AM  #4

The added weight would be a good thing in my case I believe as it should reduce recoil. It looks like shooting from the shoulder ( standing ) is pretty much history for me at this point anyway.  Smaller caliber, heavier barrel should be like shooting a 22 rimfire I am thinking.

Longone

3/11/2016 10:44 AM  #5

If you want a mild rifle for target or plinking go with a .32 cal traditions Crockett rifle. THATS like shooting a 22!

"The first step in finding your game is getting some conviction. If you don’t have conviction your confidence can be corroded."  -  From The Movie "Seven Days In Utopia".

3/14/2016 12:52 AM  #6

I thought the breech snail  plug  issue was only with the cap hooked breech guns. they have a big deep recess in the plug face  then small hole  in bottom of the recess back to nipple. that ball will  go into before the rifling starts -the smaller ball aka 32 the worse the problem.i wanted to make a change barrel for my gun and was told all about it from  don getz and mark dehass.. your flint should have   a flat  faced solid plug and  touch hole. any barrel maker should whip out a new barrel fore you to semi drop in tour Hawkins. again as other gentlemen have pointed out the weight of 15/16 .do what I was told . get you a new/used  gun that is set up for small caliber  . you will be lot happier
dag

dag

Last edited by dag (3/14/2016 12:56 AM)

3/14/2016 6:12 AM  #7

Longone,
Dag has it right. With two 50  caliber T/C Hawkens in my ML collection, when I wanted a small caliber option I looked at various ways to just re-barrel one of my 15/16th's channeled stocks. As previously posted, it's not a big deal to have a barrel made that will work just fine. What I found out however was that the 15/16th's bbl. requirement leads to either real short, or real heavy barrels. Turns out it didn't cost much(if any) more to find a whole new small caliber rifle.

Board footera