MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2016 7:55 AM  #1

Irish Linen patches

Not sure this is the correct place for asking this so If it needs to be moved to a different heading please do so.
I've been reading again about patch material and Lyman suggests trying Irish Linen. According to them they say that it is very consistent in thickness across the sheet of material. Does anyone have any experience or comments good or bad they would like to share?

Longone

3/03/2016 8:03 AM  #2

Re: Irish Linen patches

I would like to know more myself I have looked around the local fabric stores and the only thing that they have is very thin .006 to .010 or so. I did look up Heavy linen  on the e-net one time and found a site that sells heavy linen but how "heavy" that actually is I don't know.

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

3/03/2016 8:24 AM  #3

Well that's a start, let me take a ride to the fabric store near me today and see what they have and what info I can get from them. By looking at some pics on the net it is very tightly woven which should be a good thing.

Longone

3/03/2016 10:54 AM  #4

With my ML schuetzen came a kit bag with piston bullet starter, mould, arc punches, etc.  Also included was some very fine tightly woven linen material. The rifle, by Henry Berg shoots well with picket bullets from the brass mould and a round linen patch.  I've never checked for a bore "choke", but once started the bullet is a smooth firm push until seated.  Bullet is about .411 and patch material about .010.  Recovered patches are edge frayed but intact.

3/03/2016 11:07 AM  #5

Hey guys, there was absolutely nothing wrong with where you put your post but I wanted to move it into the black powder shooting some of the shooters don't check out all of the different choices.  I thought you might get some more traffic here.  Maybe find some sort of answer.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

3/03/2016 2:26 PM  #6

Thanks MM,
Had trouble finding the right place for this because it was right at the top in front of me !!!!!!  Need more coffee sooner.

So I made it to the fabric store to look at what they had in the way of Irish Linen, the gentleman there was a bit taken back when I told him color was not important but thickness was. There was a bolt on the end that measured .018" with my micrometer no mater where I measured. He suggested that I wash it before using it as there was a "sheen" protector sprayed on it from the mill. The weave is very tight and after a go round in the LG it still measures .018" and looks very good. 

I plan on making some strips to use with the Dutch Schultz method and cutting some into squares and using various lubes. Next week the weather is supposed to be more conducive to outdoor activity so I'll get a chance to try them out. 

Longone

Last edited by Longone (3/03/2016 2:37 PM)

3/04/2016 5:46 AM  #7

Longone,
I don't know what defines "Irish Linen" so I can't help you with that part of your question. I'm also one of those who goes to fabric stores with a micrometer. I'm no "expert", but I've been doing it for a while and I'll share a few thoughts here that might help you along. 
First...if you're relatively new at this, and sincerely want to improve your results as fast as possible, I strongly recommend acquiring Dutch Schoultz's entire "system" package. If you've already done that, you're well on your way. Of course, you could do like most of us have done ( back in the days with no internet) and spend 20 yrs or so figuring it all out for yourself unless you're blessed to have an experienced shooter close-by who will take you under their wing.
In no particular order, I'm going to throw a lot of information at you, based on my own experience buying and using bulk fabrics.
Let's start with the micrometer. You should have 2 knobs on it. The small one closes the jaws until it "ratchets". That will give you a consistent UNcompressed measurement. Using the larger handle to close the jaws on your fabric will give you the Compressed measurement. You will develop a consistent "feel" for your compressed measurement. When I'm shopping for new material, I will take a small piece of what I'm currently using so that I'm making a consistent (Notice how that word keeps popping up..!!) side-by-side comparison of compressed thickness. I record both for the fabrics I use in my Log. You probably already know to only choose fabrics that are 100 % Cotton, but I thought I'd mention it anyhow. Color doesn't matter. In fact shopping by "color" will get you in trouble. Blue Stripe "pillow ticking" will vary in thickness from store to store.
If you want to look for "named" material, 10 oz. Bull Denim is a good one to look for. I found some at Jo-Ann fabrics, but it was $12.99 per yard. I opted instead for some 100% Cotton striped material I found at Wal-Mart for $ 1.97 per yd.
When you find one you like, buy a small 1/2 yd. piece and give it a try. If you like the results...go back and buy 4-5 yds. so you won't have to constantly be testing a new material.
FWIW, at this time I'm using 2 different materials. One is something I refer to in my Log as my "lite-Canvas" patch material. It measures .024-.028 uncompressed and compresses down to .018.
With bore-size balls ( I shoot a .500 in my 50 caliber) it makes for a very tight combination and requires a mallet and good fitting Short Starter to start the load down the bore, and a solid brass Range Rod to load all the way down.
The other material is a striped "pillow ticking" type material that measures .020-.022 uncompressed and compresses down to .014-.015. Easy to load even with a wooden ramrod. Shoots just fine for all offhand purposes.
Patch lube choices is a book in itself. Pre-cut patches or cut-at-the-muzzle is another topic you can work out to find what works best for you. This response has rambled on long enough for the moment.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Don Steele (3/04/2016 5:50 AM)

3/04/2016 12:38 PM  #8

Thank you for the reply Don,

I have read the Schultz document and plan on going over it again to refresh. There are indeed a ton of variables in making one of these rifles shoot from what I can see. Powder, thickness of the patch, size of the ball, and like you say " patch lube choices are a book in itself ". The only rifle I have that is even close to a target gun is my Lyman GPR, I built it from a kit, bedded the barrel and for a beginner it shoots pretty good. I cast my own round balls from a RCBS mold and from memory they drop about .495", I do weight them to cull out any with air pockets.  At some point I would like to get a dedicated target rifle just because I am an accuracy junkie. But for now I don't have enough knowledge to know where to begin asking the right questions and what I'm looking at.
The Irish Linen material looks like a coarser material (thread size) and with it being a bright yellow it will easier to find in the grass to have a look at after firing it. While I was at the fabric store I also picked up some drapery liner to use as cleaning patches, with the rotary cutter I made a gallon zip lock bag full of patches in no time. Now to cut some strips and get them lubed and set out to dry.

Thanks, Longone  

3/04/2016 3:20 PM  #9

Longon,
Those yellow patches may be easy to find but they may be in little burned pieces. I'm referring to your comment that they are coarse, you want a tight woven fabric. The pressure and the flame from ignition will tear up a loose woven patch.
Mark

3/04/2016 4:07 PM  #10

We'll find out next week.
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/jcg244/media/IMG_1156_zpsr3hovp6c.jpg.html?o=3

Longone

Last edited by Longone (3/04/2016 4:28 PM)

3/04/2016 7:46 PM  #11

That weave is a new one to me. It will be interesting to see a patch or two after bring fired.
Mark

3/04/2016 8:20 PM  #12

I'll collect a few and see how they are holding up. I've got 3 strips that I soaked in 1:7 Balistol that are drying now, I'll try either Tues. or Wed.

Longone

Board footera