MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2015 9:04 PM  #1

Swabing between shots?

Gents,
I tried a mixture of 3 solutions mixed together to swab between shots and in that mixture there was some proxide. Well it eventually ruined the barrel. I started using Steam X carpet cleaner of 2oz and 14oz of water, it sure worked great. Now that manufacture does not make it anymore, rats!  I have a travel trailer and I use black streak remover when washing it, it sure removes those ugly black streaks right now. It almost works just as well as the Steam X carpet cleaner solution. I have also tried Ballistol, but I don't care for it. Doesn't seem to come close to the carpet cleaner or the black streak remover solutions. So my question is, what do you Gents use? I have also tried black solve, but was not totally happy with it.
Thanks, Friendshipshooter05

7/21/2015 6:01 AM  #2

Re: Swabing between shots?

I have used equal parts of denatured alcohol, peroxide, and Murphy oil soap. Been using it for years!
It works great and have had no problems.
I use it for cleaning only, I use Mr. flintlock as a lube and find no need to wipe between shots.

Tony

7/21/2015 7:47 AM  #3

I use the same mixture as Tony. It has been called Mule Snot by some of the shooters I hang out with.
How did the peroxide ruin your barrel? I have been using this mix for years and have had no problem.
Have tried Simple Green but the Mule Snot seems to work better for me.
I wipe between shots with a damp patch and lube with CLP after cleaning.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife.
Daniel Boone

7/21/2015 8:30 AM  #4

I have also used that mixture for years with no problems.

7/21/2015 9:03 AM  #5

I used that mixture for a while but was warned off of it early on. I'm not a chemist but was told the peroxide can be toxic to steel and especially stock finishes. I wipe between shots with Mr Flintlock and one dry patch. Clean with water, dry and oil.

Mark

7/21/2015 10:44 AM  #6

Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2--think water with an extra oxygen atom. Think of it as unstable and wanting to lose that extra O, which looks for another O to hook up with, becoming O2. Oxygen. Oxidizer. Rusting agent. If you clean or wipe with something containing H2O2, you have to be hyper-vigilant about bore rusting. I don't use it any more. When I did, I used a lot of WD40 to displace any water in the bore.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

7/21/2015 3:35 PM  #7

What Kermit said could be why I never had a problem. I used WD40 then good coat of oil. What he says makes a lot of sense. My experience was when I used straight water I always had rust issues. But I know other people have great results with it. I guess each person has to decide what works for them. I do believe that there is a lot of other variables that play into this subject. A lot of people swear by it and a lot swear against it? If it s not working for you I would definitely go with something else.

7/21/2015 4:00 PM  #8

I wipe between shots mostly with my chunck gun, I use a spit patch and then a couple of dry patches. Depending on how clean I may use one more dry patch. I usely clean between relays when I shoot off hand matches. I do use the cleaning solution mentioned above but use the WD40 as soon as I get a couple clean patches out of the barrel.

Barry Smith

7/21/2015 6:33 PM  #9

I also use WD-40 on my lock and down the barrel. I've had no rust problem.

Like Ken said, if it works for you fine if not that's fine as well

Tony

7/22/2015 11:20 AM  #10

Gents,
After a day of shooting and cleaning with the 3 soultion, and letting the bore dry, I would swab the bore with Remington oil. After about 2 weeks till the next shoot, that's when I discovered rust in the bore. Since then (late 80's) I quit using that solution and Remington oil.I now use LPS-2 oil, its like WD-40. I guess I will stay with the black streak remover solution for swabing between shot and final cleaning.
Thanks for your reply's guys.

7/22/2015 2:12 PM  #11

paul griffith and a bunch of top chunk shooters  i know used drop of dawn dish soap in small bottle of water .used it for yeaqrs myself.works great.they used it for cleaning between shots and final cleaning.i like the lps2 .used it for years .works great lots of oil in it

7/25/2015 2:51 PM  #12

I swab between each shot ... Use cleaning patches with window cleaner solution which contains some alcohol ... Cleaning is done with luke warm or cold water (hot water seems to be the problem when you develop rust afterwards = flash rust). Patches are dipped and squeezed out in water/dish washer soap solution....

7/25/2015 2:55 PM  #13

I swab between each shot ... Use cleaning patches with window cleaner solution which contains some alcohol ... Cleaning is done with luke warm or cold water (hot water seems to be the problem when you develop rust afterwards = flash rust). Patches are dipped and squeezed out in water/dish washer soap solution....

7/28/2015 2:20 PM  #14

I swab between shots with Spic and Span one tbl. spoon to one pint of water using one damp patch
and two dry patches after cleaning I use Clenzoil.I read about using Spic and Span in the March 1962 issue
of Muzzle Blasts.

Dick

8/07/2015 8:27 PM  #15

Murphey's oil soap is a good lubricant and cleaner when mixed with any non-petroleum thinner. I've used it using one wet patch and then a dry patch behind it.  Blow tube on the nipple. 
It also works great when rubbing out a finish on wood. 400-600 grit W/D  sandpaper, using Murphey's oil soap thinned with H20 is a great rub between coats.  

Never mind the mule, just load the wagon.

2/25/2016 5:08 PM  #16

I wipe betwixt shots with a combination of cutting oil and plain old water on a slightly damp patch. The 'cutting oil' is nothing other than what's used by a machinist using a lathe! The ratio is 1 part oil to 7 parts water. I run two damp patches and follow with a dry patch before loading. I use virgin olive oil for my patch lube and at end of the shooting session I clean by the combo above and then run a damp patch (2) of straight alcohol. I then run one dry patch and load. Following the 'put to bed load' I run a damp patch of olive oil down to the load and the rifle goes into the case! Other than the cutting oil mixture I never put any other synthetic oil based compounds into the bore, only a natural oil such as the olive oil or canola oil. It was explained to me quite some many years ago that any of the other oil based products promote baked on hard fouling using blackpowder.I store the rifle muzzle down.

For What It's Worth!

Last edited by Sharpsman (2/25/2016 5:10 PM)

USMC: Giving Enemies of America a chance to die for their country since 1775!

SEMPER FI!

2/25/2016 5:31 PM  #17

Hey Sharpsman you the same guy from over on "Boolits" welcome to the forum good people here and lots of good shooters too!

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

2/25/2016 6:45 PM  #18

rhbrink wrote:

Hey Sharpsman you the same guy from over on "Boolits" welcome to the forum good people here and lots of good shooters too!

RB

Yes sir! I like talking with good shooters!

SEMPER FI!

2/25/2016 8:18 PM  #19

I've been using a dry patch which had been soaked in Water/Ballistol (7:1) then dried overnight.
Works pretty good. Cut at the muzzle. Wiping between every shot with a thin patch damp with "Moose Milk".
Today, I decided to try pre-cut patches I had soaked in Coconut oil, pressed out the excess with paper towels, then let "dry" overnight. 
Results at the range were good. I fired 10 shots with NO wiping. Each load went down the barrel smooooth...without issue. I'd like to keep using the stuff, but as I proceeded through the 10 shot test....I felt a buildup of "Crud" in the barrel down near the breech..possibly the dreaded "Crud Ring"..??
It cleaned out with a few patches wet with "Moose Milk", but I don't like the build up.
Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

2/25/2016 9:49 PM  #20

I'm not a competitive rifle shooter. I'm just a pistol shooter. But, I have experience with the "3 Part" solution. I too had some rust issues.

I used three equal parts of Murphy's Oil Soap,Hydrogen Peroxide, and 91% Alcohol as a cleaning product and as a patch lube. It worked wonderfully. During cleaning, when the bore produced clean patches I'd use dry ones to dry the bore then use "3 in 1" oil to oil the bore and gun. Its a thin oil but during the season I was shooting a lot through out the week every week. I noticed that within a weeks time between shooting sessions, while cleaning the gun prior to shooting it, the patches came out with orange on it. RUST! Not bad. I panicled and quit using it right away. No damage was done to the bore. I used so much oil it probably never got past staining or surface. 

I switched back to and now use dawn dish soap in water. I use it as a patch lube and cleaning. It works, and doesn't rust. Dry gun out after clean and oil. During off season I smother in white lithium grease to keep from rusting long term. 

So my opinion on hydrogen peroxide is DONT USE OR TRUST IT. Unless you're prepared to really baby your gun and constantly check for rust. 

"The first step in finding your game is getting some conviction. If you don’t have conviction your confidence can be corroded."  -  From The Movie "Seven Days In Utopia".

2/29/2016 6:13 AM  #21

I think I've got the rear sight set pretty fair for windage:

canvas by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

No wiping! Just virgin olive oil on wet pillow ticking!

Last edited by Sharpsman (2/29/2016 6:15 AM)

SEMPER FI!

Board footera