MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2015 8:11 PM  #1

Lyman Front Sight Inserts

A lot of shooters use yellow tint glasses for better contrast to see their target.

In the group of inserts that come with the Lyman front sight there is a yellow disc that can be used along with other inserts.

Would it be a violation of the front sight rule to use it in conjunction with a post insert. It does have a small hole in it so would it be considered as an annular front sight and thus  illegal for table shooting?

Just a thought.

Comments please.

12/29/2015 6:02 AM  #2

Re: Lyman Front Sight Inserts

I have the same set of inserts for my Lyman front. I'm going to be interested in the official response, but since it has a hole in it, I've always considered it to be excluded. I'm also not sure if it would be acceptable in light of NMLRA Table Shoot rule 5910- SIGHTS. Specifically: "....it may not contain a system of lenses, including but not limited to color polarization or magnification."
Also...the next line says: "No tube sights" . Does that exclude shaders...especially if full length..??
Obviously..I"m pretty new to all this, and want to be sure we get it right.
Thanks.

12/29/2015 8:00 AM  #3

Don,

I'm curious too to see what the responses are.

The table shoot rule 5910 refers to both front and rear sights as I read it. It says the front sight has to meet rule 5010 which only talks about the shape of the front sight and then refers to the rear sight not  having any magnification or colorization as I read it.

I've never used the yellow insert before but was thinking about trying it but with it having  the hole in it I wondered too if it would be legal.

If it was solid would it be legal?

Everything is open to interpitation so I hope this generates some discussion.
Need something to do, it's too wet here in Kentucky to get out and shoot.

As I've always heard, idle hands are the devils workshop.

12/29/2015 10:18 AM  #4

Carl & Don,
I think the insert with a hole would "technically" be considered an aperture front sight which would make it illegal. The colored insert without a hole "should" be okay to use. A tube sight, as I know them, is closed at both ends with pin holes in each for sighting through. A shader, full or two piece, is open at both ends and only creates a constant light source. Hunter class table and chunk guns require open rear sights. I do know that tinted eye glasses make a difference for me.
Mark

12/29/2015 10:20 AM  #5

I really like good discussion like this. This gives us an excellent opportunity to clarify rules and interpretation of those rules. But now on to the question at hand. The long and short of the answer no colored filters or magnification, may be used on the front or rear sights. And here is my interpretation.

SIGHTS
5010–OPEN FRONT SIGHT–May be a blade, pin-head, post or barleycorn. The
match program will state if it can be shaded or not. A globe-style front sight with
a post blade is considered a open front sight with a sun shade.

5020–OPEN REAR SIGHT–All rear open sights must be at least six inches forward
of the breech end of the barrel or as placed by the commerical manufacturer. They
must have a U, V, or rectangular opening, as wide at the top as any part of the notch.
A buckhorn sight is legal provided the horns have a minimum of 1/4-inch opening
at the top. Sun shades may or may not be permitted, as specified in the match program.
Fixed rear open sights may have no mechanical means of adjusting the elevation or windage, and therefore are non-adjustable in nature.
Adjustable rear open sights may have a mechanical means of adjusting elevation and windage.

Colored filters magnification sight tubes and other such things appear under the any metallic sight rule

5040–ANY METALLIC SIGHT (AMS) FRONT –AMS front sights may be any open front sight with or without shades, or globe peep sights, at the shooter’s option. A colored filter, without magnification, may be attached.

5050–ANY METALLIC SIGHT (AMS) REAR–Any sight, open, or peep, including tube sights, not containing a system of lenses. A colored filter, without magnification, may be attached.

The Table Shoot is Not an Any Metallic Sight, match.

With that being said, we do allow Shaders and a sight such as built by but not limited to Redfield Olympic, so long as emulate a blade, pinhead, post or barleycorn. We have been asked in the past. If the doughnut insert is allowed in since it does not emulate one of the above, it is not allowed.

However, what you want to do at your home club is of course your business. We’ve just tried to standardize so that when you go to other clubs you’ll know what to expect.

Now that I have either answered your question, or entirely confused everyone. We will see where this goI really like good discussion like this. This gives us an excellent opportunity to clarify rules and interpretation of those rules. But now on to the question at hand. The long and short of the answer no colored filters or magnification, may be used on the front or rear sights. And here is my interpretation.

SIGHTS
5010–OPEN FRONT SIGHT–May be a blade, pin-head, post or barleycorn. The
match program will state if it can be shaded or not. A globe-style front sight with
a post blade is considered a open front sight with a sun shade.

5020–OPEN REAR SIGHT–All rear open sights must be at least six inches forward
of the breech end of the barrel or as placed by the commerical manufacturer. They
must have a U, V, or rectangular opening, as wide at the top as any part of the notch.
A buckhorn sight is legal provided the horns have a minimum of 1/4-inch opening
at the top. Sun shades may or may not be permitted, as specified in the match program.
Fixed rear open sights may have no mechanical means of adjusting the elevation or windage, and therefore are non-adjustable in nature.
Adjustable rear open sights may have a mechanical means of adjusting elevation and windage.

Colored filters magnification sight tubes and other such things appear under the any metallic sight rule

5040–ANY METALLIC SIGHT (AMS) FRONT –AMS front sights may be any open front sight with or without shades, or globe peep sights, at the shooter’s option. A colored filter, without magnification, may be attached.

5050–ANY METALLIC SIGHT (AMS) REAR–Any sight, open, or peep, including tube sights, not containing a system of lenses. A colored filter, without magnification, may be attached.

The Table Shoot is Not an Any Metallic Sight, match.

With that being said, we do allow Shaders and a sight such as built by but not limited to Redfield Olympic, so long as emulate a blade, pinhead, post or barleycorn. We have been asked in the past. If the doughnut insert is allowed in since it does not emulate one of the above, it is not allowed.

However, what you want to do at your home club is of course your business. We’ve just tried to standardize so that when you go to other clubs you’ll know what to expect.

Now that I have either answered your question, or entirely confused everyone. We will see where this goes from here.
 es from here.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

12/29/2015 10:24 AM  #6

Sorry fellows, I was obviously wrong about the "solid" colored insert. I think this is the first time I have ever been wrong, I'll watch it in the future.
Mark

12/29/2015 4:57 PM  #7

Mark,

Will overlook this one mistake big guy but we'll be keeping an eye on you from now on !!!!  HA HA

Robin,

Your answer to my question was what I had anticipated and I'm on board with your interpitation of the rules as you have explained them in your response.

Thank you.

Off the topic but what would you like to have with the chili at the shoot next Saturday. Crackers, peanut butter, cheese, bread for sandwiches? Soft drinks? Let me know how I can help out.

Carl

12/29/2015 8:17 PM  #8

My wife is graciously offered to make the chili my favorite thing with Chile and peanut butter sandwiches course someone should always have crackers if something incredibly sweet terribly fattening that old man should not be eating or to show up I would defend the rest of you and and take one for the team. But seriously Carl if some peanut butter sandwiches or the makings therefore we're to appear it would be a wonderful thing. If any of the rest of you would like to bring something if we post on the board what were bringing maybe we can keep from getting too many repeats. By the way starting to hear about some more people coming.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

12/29/2015 8:58 PM  #9

A big old jar of peanut butter an a couple of loafs of white bread it is then.

12/30/2015 8:57 AM  #10

I'll bring some dessert. Got to make sure to keep the calories up on a cold day.
Mark

12/30/2015 10:34 AM  #11

. The crackers  for the chili are on me

Board footera