MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2015 12:14 PM  #1

Dry ball syndrome

It's been pretty quiet on the board recently, and as I was looking at a another message board that I frequent. I seen a discussion from a gentleman obviously new to the sport, claiming he had not yet dry ball his gun, but understood that his day would come. His inquiry was about putting powder behind nipple actually some pretty good advice was being tossed around, but I felt I would drop my two cents worth in, and added this to see if anybody hears got anything to say.

Having pulled blown out and put powder behind more led balls than I care to think about. At one shoot where we had about 180 or so shooters. It seems that I remember removing about 50 lead balls in one day, the common sense God's were angry with us. All the advice above is pretty good. I have to go along with. When I do use as a last resort a ball screw I just simply screw it down two or three batches put some moose milk or other lubricant on it, even sometimes pouring some moose milk or other lubricant directly down the barrel to soften the patch that's down there. My favorite method of removal is the CO2 blowing tool. I have even created one that uses a 24 ounce paintball bottle to have a larger portable one for larger events. I also carry a priming flask with 7F powder and it has proved to be very valuable on nipple guns. I do it by determining if the ball is all the way down, putting the powder in through either the nipple or the cleanout hole. If the ball does not clear the barrel on the first time I will put another quantity of powder. Be careful not too much, and pushing the ball back down against it usually on the second attempt. It will come out a couple of things to remember very fine powder burns very fast don't get overly happy with it, and when using a CO2 discharge, or if the ball only goes partially down the barrel, be sure to push it back to just in front of the nipple and try it again. This is normally done in the longer chunk gun style barrels. At any rate, that's my throw on the situation. First and foremost will removing a ball keep people from out in front of the muzzle. Remember, although it didn't want to go off, it still load. Stay safe and have a wonderful day

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

5/08/2015 7:22 AM  #2

Re: Dry ball syndrome

MM,

I am a member of the Dry Ball Club. I usually get talking and seem to miss the powder charging portion. My methods have evolved to using a few drops of liquid down the bore to ease the removal of the ball and patch. I started out with a range rod (brass) with a "T" handle, that was a good move on my part. I start the ball remover and then just hook the handle over the edge of a bench and slide the ball out.
I purchased the brass rod from RMC and consider it an esential piece of equipment  at the range. Now I just need to locate my memory pills!!!

Longone

5/08/2015 9:37 AM  #3

Re: Dry ball syndrome

Longone,
There are many of us who are members, some charter, of the dry ball club. We consider it a right of passage to be endured by all at one time or another. At our club, and at Freindship, we put a steel plate with a "U" shapd notch in it on a 4X4 post in an area away from the shooters and use that to pull balls, if we don't have CO2.
Mark

Board footera