MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2015 5:17 PM  #1

Chasing Point of Impact

Finally had enough dry time to get a few rounds in before York with the new gun.  The gun is quite capable....we'll see if the shooter shows up  My question is that about 5 shots in my group starts trailing left ever so slightly.  And by my final shots I'm hitting maybe an inch left of my initial spotter holes.  I know one should never chase an X but my results seem consistent.  I have no clue whether it's a barrel variation as it heats up, fouling, my eyes getting tired (still learning the pyramid), etc.....but I'm REALLY tempted to start scooting my scoring target left about half way through.  To chase or not to chase....there's the question.

I'm using one of Paul's .50 cal, 1.5"x52" barrels.  I will say I was scared of the pyramid as I thought I'd be scattering balls up and down.....but elevation has not been an issue (knocks wood).  Thanks.

3/25/2015 5:36 PM  #2

Re: Chasing Point of Impact

With the pyramid sight, elevation will rarely be an issue, as the eye will naturally place the pinhead at the tip of the pyramid. However I myself have struggled with windage and lucky there is a simple fix. Be sure that shank of the pin is lined up in the center of the bottom of the V notch.

Colton L. Fleetwood                          
NMLRA Board of Directors
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

3/25/2015 5:47 PM  #3

I honestly can't see the shaft that well and get more of a floating orb versus a pinhead on a stick.  I went to a light red outer circle to try and discern it better but still not great.  Thinking of painting the shaft to get a bit more size and visibility....but that will have to wait till after York.

3/26/2015 9:59 AM  #4

It has been my experience. That moving your X is by far the best way to get your ball to go back into the original group. I have heard both sides of the chasing argument, and would have to say to some extent both have some merit. I think once again as many things do with sight pictures , it becomes a very personal preference.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

3/26/2015 10:50 AM  #5

Wow, Colton. Thanks for the graphic. It's got me rethinking the sight/spotter combination and how they match up. What remains for me--probably all of us--is the struggle to compromise the focus of the whole sight picture from rear sight to target. I've always tried to get the front sight to be what I concentrate on getting sharp. Today I'm wondering...

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

3/26/2015 11:35 AM  #6

Kermit,
The entire concept behind the sight is to completely eliminate the rear sight in the sight picture. This allows you to focus on the front sight and the spotter only. Hope this makes more sense now!

Colton L. Fleetwood                          
NMLRA Board of Directors
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

3/26/2015 11:55 AM  #7

Well if anyone gets to looking for me this weekend I'm the guy with a hot pink spotting target.  My printer just ran out of ink.....lucky me.  I will say I can see the shank of the pin against a hot pink background...ha ha ha.

As if my score won't be humiliating enough.

Last edited by jonboyb (3/26/2015 11:59 AM)

3/26/2015 12:11 PM  #8

It takes a real man to shoot PINK

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

3/26/2015 8:30 PM  #9

Robin, that's mostly been my experience as well. But I have been in a few shoots where about the middle of the match my shots trend right or left and stay there. I don't move the X all the way, but kinda creep toward the new hole. And I'll creep a little more the next shot if needed. Seems to work a good bit of the time. Of course, more often than not, the next shot goes clear over to the opposite side of the target.

3/27/2015 10:29 AM  #10

Chunker119 wrote:

The entire concept behind the sight is to completely eliminate the rear sight in the sight picture. This allows you to focus on the front sight and the spotter only.

So sort of an aperture sight without any holes! I've got it--and I like it. I've been thinking of this for my intended table gun. Just have to figure out how to make these sights.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

3/28/2015 9:12 PM  #11

colton 
almost  all of the real  good shooters i know  mostly had   elevation problems.very narrow horizontaly .shot verticle slots . most have tried them and gave up  due to 1 to 2 big shots a match .  as you showed it -the proper way- most people had trouble keeping it floating  up their. paul told me one time a .010 sighting error at 60 yards was 1 inch.your ball is .100 diameter.the ball sets approx 2 balls above sight with no outer ring to center it in- that is what is  giving  people  the stringing .  the sight was originally made for people with bad eyes to keep them shooting.most guys went back to the half round notch if they could .paul was forced to shoot it at the end but did not care for it .just like he did not personally care to shoot underhammers.he claimed they just did not fit his right hand placement.  when you are locked though with the pyramid man can you shoot some small scores.hope you shot it well at york.let me know how you progess with it.the 2  lowest score were shot with putting the bead on the top of sight no air gap.thats how i shot mine for couple years and did real well with it  .what ever works for you is all that counts.if i could of i would have went back to the 1/2 round notch immediately
dag

Last edited by dag (3/29/2015 1:02 AM)

3/29/2015 10:55 PM  #12

jonboyb wrote:

Well if anyone gets to looking for me this weekend I'm the guy with a hot pink spotting target. My printer just ran out of ink.....lucky me. I will say I can see the shank of the pin against a hot pink background...ha ha ha.

As if my score won't be humiliating enough.

Heard a few people talking about that one...

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

Board footera