MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2014 10:10 PM  #1

Teflon patching

I bought some teflon patch material from Tip Cursis. It said on the pack do not wet, I tried the first couple of shots and it shot the center out of the patch and only the lord knows where the balls went. After finding the patches and seeing them blown like they were I wet the material a bit and the next shots went exactly where I aimed.

Do you shoot teflon wet or dry and what's the reason behind saying do not wet?

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

5/10/2014 10:58 PM  #2

Re: Teflon patching

I have shot teflon since the early 1990's and always dry the stuff form Tip has been outstanding. I was told early on that any lube made with oil had a reaction to teflon and it would not shoot. I have seen it shot wet and dry with many lubes and seen good results. My question is, what did you wet the patch with? and is it the blue .020 stuff?

Michael Jay

5/11/2014 9:07 AM  #3

you can put a small drop of water on the blue teflon- i repeat a small drop .any more and trhe blue teflon is water soluble and will start running off the cloth..also check what kind of ball starte you are using a lot of times you are cuting the patch with the starter.if you want to shoot dry teflon and it loading to hard  go to a .005 smaller ball. krumme and dibro both did intheir griffith barrel.still grouped the same..know some of the top shooter that shoot the blue damp

5/11/2014 9:28 AM  #4

I have wondered about the same thing. I have shot it dry and wet. I prefer the wet method. It loads a lot easier. It sorta seems like why are you buying and paying for Teflon if you are going to wet it. But to answer your question I have never had the problem you have of burning through the patch? What Dag said of checking your ball starter sounds like a good place to start.
Also what load are you shooting .

5/11/2014 6:06 PM  #5

I have seen short starters cut the patch when seating the ball at the muzzle and I have seen crowns with sharp lands which cut patches, but burning the center out of the patch is strange, unless the ball is so oversized it is cutting the bottom of the patch? WOW!  What cal. and ball size is being used.

Michael Jay

5/11/2014 10:00 PM  #6

The stuff all the shooters use here is green on the back.A guy at our club makes it.Some shoot it wet some dry.

5/14/2014 7:23 PM  #7

I was shooting the blue .018 material and a .530 ball. It loaded fine, just blew through the dry patches. I used a bit of moose milk to lube the next ones with and they could have been reused.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

5/16/2014 4:24 PM  #8

darn i forgot about poor patch material. i was doing the same thing with gun that never did it before at the bevel shoot.. one of the guys took a piece and pulled on the edges .the coton cloth was bad..just easly pulled apart. others have seen the same thing with alll the differrent makers from time to time..

5/21/2014 3:14 PM  #9

Over time will the teflon break the fabric down like some prelubed store bought patched?  Just throwing this our there.  I shoot with a guy that has only used teflon patching since it became available way back when...  He shoots his dry, but he also swabs between each shot (wet patch, dry patch, then pops a cap).

Joe

5/21/2014 7:08 PM  #10

I have some Teflon I bought in the early 90's and we shot some recently and it was just fine. However it was stored in a sealed plastic bag and in the gun safe out of the light. We saw some teflon patches tear and blow up at the California State shoot 2 weeks ago, some thought it might be the dry air. I have no idea. I only shoot the Texas blue .020 stuff works GREAT every time and shoot dry, cleaning with Dawn dish soap and water.

Michael Jay

Board footera