MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2015 11:53 PM  #1

Superstitious tale?

Anyone superstitious as I?
I once was told by a old barrel maker ..."to get the full potential out of a barrel you must fire the first shot out of it at a full moon!" Tonight I did that very thing!
A fast moving front went thru here today and left about 1" of snow but is dropping the temperatures down for the next couple days. It's 16º here now and getting coolder! I thought that the moon may be covered with clouds so
about 9:30 I stepped out on the deck and there it was shinning brightly! The Full Snow Moon of February 2015.
I had retrived this Hopkins & Allen underhammer from the back of my closet where it has been the past 10/12 years. You know, sorta forgotten about but not really? It's barrel is 31 !/4" X 15/16ths X .45 cal.
I gathered together the capper, 40 grains Goex FFF, 18thous. ticking and one .445 ball and loaded up!
I stepped out there and found the sights in the moon and touched it off!
My daughter lives about 80yrds. south of me and in a few minutes the phone rang wanting to know if I had heard a shot? "Yep, I did!" I said. My grandson then wanted to know if I had shot the moon like we talked about on the way to school a couple of days ago. "Yep, I did!" I said again. He said "thats awesome! It will be a great shooter!" I hope so! There's my new table rifle!!
Some of us Missouri boys are a little strange!!
Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

2/05/2015 6:39 AM  #2

Re: Superstitious tale?

Just make sure there isn't any cops around been there and done that! And alcohol involved too!

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

2/05/2015 1:41 PM  #3

I just gone seen about everything until I seen an elephant fly. However, remember there are several factors that I did not account for this calculation, but just for the sake of interest. If John had a proper lead on the moon, and considering it is 283,900 miles to the moon, and John's ball was traveling say 1200 feet a second and could sustain. Everybody should be watching the moon at about 10:30 PM on 10th of February to see if it flinches. If so, John shot will have been effective, and he will truly have shot the moon.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

2/05/2015 2:50 PM  #4

All-righty I have another one for you. A good friend long time muzzle loader says that a rifle barrel will shoot it's best only in the month that it was made?

Richard

2/05/2015 4:14 PM  #5

Richard,
That sounds like a very good reason to have at least 12 rifles. I'm not certain my wife will agree with that philosophy but it's worth a try.
Mark

2/05/2015 5:49 PM  #6

Richard the philosophy of a rifle shooting best in the month it's made could be caused by the gravitational pull of the moon on the molecular structure of the steel in the barrel was made out of only comes in alignment in the month in which it was worked. however as my grandmother used to say. Around here cows may come and cows may go but the bull seems to go on forever.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

2/05/2015 6:33 PM  #7

Ok! I thought that it a just a reason to buy more rifles? Works for me

Richard

2/05/2015 11:07 PM  #8

MMprwarner wrote:

However, remember there are several factors that I did not account for this calculation, but just for the sake of interest. If John had a proper lead on the moon, and considering it is 283,900 miles to the moon, and John's ball was traveling say 1200 feet a second and could sustain. Everybody should be watching the moon at about 10:30 PM on 10th of February to see if it flinches. If so, John shot will have been effective, and he will truly have shot the moon.

If I had taken the proper lead and considering the 283,900 miles to the target and considering the ball was way slower than 1200 fps. for a spell! My shot was effective and I truly have shot AT the moon as was suggested by the maker! I don't remember him saying anything about hitting the moon, just take the first shot at the moon!  I did hold the leading edge because I was facing east and the moon was continuing to rise. Considering how big the moon is in miles, I should strike it about the 8 o'clock position! Just thinking ... should have added a few more grains of Goex FFF! I hope the weather is clear here on the 10th!

>>>A good friend long time muzzle loader says that a rifle barrel will shoot it's best only in the month that it was made?<<<
I'm been trying to convince Cathy of that for awhile now! So far I can only shoot 8 months of the year!

>>>>Around here cows may come and cows may go but the bull seems to go on forever.<<<<
Now I have something else besides the shakes, watery eye, wind gust when it's just the gravational pull causing the whole thing! Yes....bull will be bull!

While I was cleaning the rifle last night I patched real tight and taped a business card even with the muzzle and in line with the front sight. Pulling it up and the card making 1/2 turn in 28", I'm assumeing the rate of twist is 1 in 56".
I didn't think these barrels were that slow of a twist and would anyone remember who made the barrels for Hopkins & Allen?
Off to the range in the next couple days. The temperatures are supposed to return to the mid-50º mark.

Big John

Will Rogers

2/06/2015 1:28 AM  #9

I'm just sitting here shaking my head. The things we humans can believe never cease to amaze me.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

2/06/2015 6:49 AM  #10

Big John I'm pretty sure that Numrich Arms made the H & A rifles their barrels were twisted one turn in 56 inches good shooters too!

Oh, I have more dumb sayings that I have picked up around the shooting crowd.

How about the one "if your barrel starts shooting poorly it has shot 'slick' and you need to let the bore rust up a day or two then it'll shoot better"?

Another one is when you are first start shooting a rifle load it up until you hear it 'crack' then back down a couple of grains of powder that's where it'll shoot the best! WHAT!!!!! I guess bullet holes in paper don't count for much with some of these guys.

One more, this one really cracks me up and I hear it a lot around my home club. "You don't need THAT much powder to punch holes in a piece of paper".

Richard

2/06/2015 8:16 AM  #11

John,
Richard's right, Numrich made the H&A barrels. I've got five or six here if you want another barrel to swap around. At least a .45 and a .50.
Mark

2/06/2015 10:54 AM  #12

Richard, back a few decades my mentor in this fun (who was a very well educated man) would sometimes diagnose a barrel as "shooting slick." His remedy was to go home and plug the vent/nipple and pee in the barrel (fill 'er up) and let it stand overnight. He was serious! He also used the "crack" and "red berries" at the muzzle to tell when the perfect load was found.

He built some of the nicest rifles and was an excellent offhand shot.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

2/06/2015 11:27 AM  #13

Kermit,
I have also heard of the pee in the barrel method. Seems like a pretty small target to hit....
Mark

2/06/2015 11:36 PM  #14

rhbrink wrote:

Big John I'm pretty sure that Numrich Arms made the H & A rifles their barrels were twisted one turn in 56 inches good shooters too!
Oh, I have more dumb sayings that I have picked up around the shooting crowd.
How about the one "if your barrel starts shooting poorly it has shot 'slick' and you need to let the bore rust up a day or two then it'll shoot better"?
Another one is when you are first start shooting a rifle load it up until you hear it 'crack' then back down a couple of grains of powder that's where it'll shoot the best! WHAT!!!!! I guess bullet holes in paper don't count for much with some of these guys.
One more, this one really cracks me up and I hear it a lot around my home club. "You don't need THAT much powder to punch holes in a piece of paper".  Richard

Thanks! Now I seem to remember that also.
My next project is to get those sights mounted and start tinkering with some loads! Any ideas on where to start? I have a big roll of canvas cloth that I got from a fellow that worked at a filter plant in Columbia. End cuts off the roll when putting in the machines. It works great in my .54 off hand rifle. The roll is about 14" across, 10" wide and mikes .020 tight and wet.

>>>>John, Richard's right, Numrich made the H&A barrels. I've got five or six here if you want another barrel to swap around. At least a .45 and a .50.  Mark<<<<
Thanks Mark! I may be interested in one of the barrels. I would like to find a .40 and also a .50! I'll keep you in mind.

>>>>Kermit, I have also heard of the pee in the barrel method. Seems like a pretty small target to hit....Mark<<<<
I know my wife would make me go outside! She says I can't even hit that big ole bowl!!
Big John

Will Rogers

Board footera