MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2015 10:02 PM  #1

And the winner is?

I am working on a schedule for table shoots at our club (Kentucky Long Rifles) for this year. I will post the dates as soon as we get them finalized. While I was working on this I was curious what type of scoring and pay out most people like. I would love to hear from the shooters on thier opinion of them. The two choices are either string measurement of all ten shots or closest to ct of x on each target?

1/05/2015 10:24 PM  #2

Re: And the winner is?

Ken,
I'm also trying to put together a shoot at our club, Ohio Valley Muzzleloading Gun Club, as well as our postal shoot . I'm going to go with the string measure on both of those. It seems that all the table shoots I've attended use the string measure.
Mark

1/05/2015 10:40 PM  #3

I have been to both. Both groups seem ok with either way. That's why I was asking. Thanks

1/06/2015 6:12 AM  #4

In my mind the most consistent shooting is what it's all about so with that idea the total string measurement would be my choice. I hope to get a Table shoot going this year at my home club and thought that if we had enough shooters to do the total string measurement and then also have a payback for the tightest X for the day.

Richard

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

1/06/2015 6:19 AM  #5

I like total string measure,for sure! 

It shows consistency in your ability.

It will draw the top shooters,but, you have to be careful and not chase away average shooters. I think that is why at our club we do different formats once in a while. IMHO

Mike

1/06/2015 9:31 AM  #6

Heading into my third year running the shoots. I have tried the 4 following methods and found the following.

A) Total string measurement only.

B) Top 2 to 4 Xs in each relay depending on the number of shooters.

C) Top? Number of Xs, depending on the number of shooters over the whole shoot.

D) Total string measurement paying out the top three, also paying the top two or three   Xs in each relay.

I also like to pay out the best X over the whole shoot.

I have to agree with Spiderman. The total string measurement does tend to show more consistency and does draw some shooters, what I'm hearing lots of people think it really defines an overall winner of the contest. However, paying out the top number of Xs in each relay tends to allow beginning shooters some older shooters that are having issues and other folks who just are not in the top group. To sometimes get in and finish first or second in a relay or two. That's why developed option D, although it does spread the money a little thinner. It does seem to draw the maximum amount shooters. This is how we paid out the Laughery Valley Table Shoot Championship at friendship last year. I think everybody was pretty happy with.

Option C, I tried that twice and it seemed to be pretty lopsided. I really didn't like that is much. So like Spiderman said at our home club. We tend to mix it up a little bit. It seems to work out best overall where I have had the most luck has been with option D I did work at the spreadsheet for this option. It bases on paying back 70% of the total entry fees, if any of you would like to have a copy of it. I would be more than glad to send it to you, just let me know. For

In 2013 I put on a shoot using option D also having a prize table and was fortunate enough to have enough prizes donated that everybody got to go to the prize table at least one time in the order in which they finished in the string measure

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

1/06/2015 10:02 AM  #7

Thanks for all the input. Robin I would love to have a copy of the spreadsheet.

1/06/2015 10:29 PM  #8

And the winner is? ..... The shooters of course by having a great day among great people!! It's who you beat not what you win!!
I'm a greenhorn here and have only put on one shoot. I took the entry monies and gave half of it to the my club for the land fund, $20! Then the other 50% of half was given back to the top shooter with short string, then 35% was given to next shortest string and the last 15% was given to the shooter that shot the closest shot of the match. Of course when I was only dividing $20 it amounted to $10 for 1st. place... $7 for 2nd place and $3 for closest shot! There's no way you can put a price on the fun we had!!
We only had 4 shooters but next time I hope to be dividing more money!! 
Working on some dates now.
Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

1/07/2015 9:15 AM  #9

Way to go John. It's not the size of the shoot but the quality of the shooters.
Mark

1/09/2015 10:39 AM  #10

>>>> It bases on paying back 70% of the total entry fees, if any of you would like to have a copy of it. I would be more than glad to send it to you, just let me know.<<<<

Good morning Robin and guy's!
It's been a tough couple of days weather wise. Daytime highs 20/25 and nights in the single digits with strong winds near 30mph! It's cold!
I haven't been out for 3 days!

I was rereading some of the post and saw where you would sent the spread sheet out Robin. I would like a copy if it's not much trouble.

We have so much shooting going on around here and at my club, (archery,cowboy action, bench .22s, and pistols) it is going to be hard to come up with some clear dates for Owl Creek Table Shoots but I'm working on it!
Come on next week ---supposed to be back near 40º range!

Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

Board footera