MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2014 10:34 PM  #1

Front sights

What's the front sight rule on the table shoot. I know I asked this in Friendship but forget what the answer was. Might have to look inn the gun cabinet to see what I have that will work.

12/21/2014 12:17 AM  #2

Re: Front sights

I think I recall that globe front sight are allowed, but only with post or bead type inserts. Is my memory any good?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

12/21/2014 11:31 AM  #3

Kermit,
Your memory is good!
Mark

12/21/2014 12:22 PM  #4

I think that's the way I understood it also. Globe front sight allowed but with only a post or bead or pin sight insert.
I just looked at most of the rules I could find posted and it refers to rule 5010 and I don't know what it says. Most just talk about the rear sights.
I am torn between open and peep on the rear for my rifle. I think we would get a few more shooters if they thought they wouldn't be shooting against modern adjustable fancy peep sights even though you can't adjust them.
When you arrive at a shoot and you are allowed 3 shots for practice .... aren't these part of the match?
If they are....you had better be sighted in and adjusted before you arrive. Am I wrong here?

Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

12/21/2014 2:29 PM  #5

You are right about being sighted in and adjusted BEFORE showing up at the match!  Those three practice shots,warm-up shots or whatever you want to call them are just to show you where your group is for that day.

I hope that makes some sense.

Mike

12/21/2014 4:39 PM  #6

John,
The reason we started a "hunter" class was so that someone with a TC, CVA or other factory type or traditional style rifle would not have to shoot against the peep sighted rifles. You can use adjustable rear sights as found on traditional type rifles but as Mike said " be sighted in before you get there". No sight changes once the match starts.
Mark

12/21/2014 9:14 PM  #7

Thanks for the information. I'll have to do some thinking about what I have that will work and give it a try. 

12/21/2014 10:02 PM  #8

I didn't realize there was a seperate class for hunter type rifles.
I had heard it mentioned but don't know the rules for it.
Is it a completely different class with it's own sight rules??
I am trying to figure out a set of sights to put on a underhammer rifle I had squirreled away in the closet. As is it weighs about 8.5 pounds but does have a set of adjustable rear sights and a blade front sight. The front sight is terribly thin and hard for these old eyes to see. I was thinking of replacing the rear with a peep and a post in the front.

Yes Mike, that makes sense. I guess if a fellow wants to shoot a fowling shot, clean out the oil, dirty up the barrel or just make sure it will fire, he can take one in the bank?

Big John

Will Rogers

12/21/2014 10:29 PM  #9

John,
There is a difference in classes. The "hunter" class must be 10# or less, have a coventional side hammer lock, accomodation for a ram rod and open sights on the rear.
Mark

12/21/2014 11:00 PM  #10

Thanks Mark!
I didn't know what the rules were. Sounds like we are trying to accomidate all types of shooters.
I'll bring this up at our weekly Tuesday Ole Grouch's Club at our club building. There may be a couple that will join me in shooting!
Big John

Will Rogers

12/21/2014 11:29 PM  #11

The advent of the hunter class delayed my fantasies of a dedicated table gun. I have a .50 flinter with a 15/16 x 48" 72 twist DeHaas (?) barrel. I'd been contemplating a rear sight change, but no longer. It'll be fun to see how it does from a table.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

12/22/2014 10:11 AM  #12

That's exactly the reason for the two classes, we want everyone who wants to play to be able to.
Mark

12/23/2014 9:59 AM  #13

Glad to hear about the hunter class.   Should open things up for a lot more shooters.

12/23/2014 11:11 AM  #14

Jump in on the postal shoot, you might be surprised how well some of those deer, squirrel and offhand rifle will shoot. 
Mark

Board footera