MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2014 4:41 PM  #1

Chunk / Table barrels

If a shooter wanted to build a  gun and stay under the 13# limit, what would be the max berrel length / dia.in ,50 cal.??

Any other thoughts on this weight limit ?

Prefered barrel...  $$$$

11/19/2014 5:11 PM  #2

Re: Chunk / Table barrels

First off welcome Oldbow! I worked down in your neighborhood one time in a area called The Land Between the Lakes bet you might know where that is?

Back to your question I am working on a rifle right now and hope to make a 12 pound limit it's has a Green Mountain .50 caliber barrel 1 1/8 inches across the flats and is 41 inches long. It's mounted on a under hammer action that is a copy of the old H & A actions. I'm using a maple stock and taking all that I can off the stock just to get to 12#  no forearm and very simple open sights and hope their scales read close to what mine do. I hope that this gives you some idea of where to start.

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

11/19/2014 7:18 PM  #3

ok looked out in the shop and found the following I don't know if this will help you at all here are some weights along with the shape allowing for half inch or 50 caliber as follows

1 inch round x 50 cal=.0.175#/inch

1 1/8 inch round x 50 cal= 0.28 # / inch

1 1/8 inch Oct x 50 cal =. 2423 # / inch

1inch Oct x 50 cal =. 1799 # / inch

this does not allow for sites, Brechplug or anything else just the weight of the Barrel.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

11/19/2014 7:52 PM  #4

Oldbow,
I don't shoot chunk any more but have my chunk barrel here. It's a Green Mountain 1 1/8 X 42 in .50 caliber and weighs in at just under 10#, the barrel is available. My table gun has a 1 1/8 X 34 Rayl barrel in .40 caliber, an underhammer H&A type action, built up stock and long bar sights and comes in at 12.8#. There are a lot of variables; barrel dimension, caliber, sights and and bases and don't forget different wood weighs differently.
Mark

11/19/2014 9:09 PM  #5

Thanks Mates, might be able to get 13# with a 1 1/8x 42 x.50 half stock

11/19/2014 10:31 PM  #6

Oldbow............
My offhand gun and now my table gun is a full stock 1 1/8" X 42 X .54 cal Bill Large barrel.
On my scales at home it tips them at 12lbs 5oz. I ordered a pre-inlet stock at 1 1/8" and either they cut it a little big or Bill planed a little to much because I had to color a little epoxy and fill in!
So your barrel with a half stock and .50cal. should make it!
I shoot open sights, large square notch in the rear and a blade front sight. I'm gonna need something different if I keep this table shooting up and want to be in the running!
Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

11/20/2014 10:04 AM  #7

Oldbow,
I question wether or not you will make weight. I'm shoting a 34" Rayl 1 1/8" X 34" barrel in .40 caliber with and underhammer (H&A type) action with butt stock only. That set up, with sights and bases, weighs in at 12.75#. My chunk gun with a 1 1/8" X 42" barrel in .50 caliber with the same action, open sights and butt stock, no forearm, weighed in at just under 14#.
Mark

11/20/2014 11:05 AM  #8

It is very interesting to see how Paul's prophecy is coming true. That's the one where he said, this game is not necessarily designed for existing rifles. Although we hope people will use them. People will build rifles to fit the game.As I have seen this develop over the past couple of years I have really started to wonder if making a rifle weighs close to 13 pounds as you can really means all that much. And yes, mine does weigh 12.6# that is mostly because I use an existing butt stock, and under hammer action from my chunk gun and had Paul cut a 38 caliber inch and 1/8 across the flats 30 inches long with an offset breech plug just to get going.I see a lot of guys shooting anywhere from 7 to 11 pound rifles very competitively. I believe one of the things we need to remember was in the makeup of the equipment (table and pyramid) are not intended to be bench rest quality. There is a lot of flex in the table and even more flex can develop in the pyramid. I stated this before in another string of post once when you're pushing the weight limit to its extremes. Be careful that when you go to a range away from your home range that the scales are just enough different to put you over.With all that being said, a 1 1/8 inch barrel 42 inch long is probably only going to leave you a pound and a quarter to a pound and a half for the stock triggers lock and trigger guard . Lots of luck, but I just don't think you'll make it. With that much barrel. Let me know how that turns out it will be interesting to hear.

Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

11/20/2014 12:07 PM  #9

Are there many off hand rifles used at the table shoot? I don't have a Chunk or Table rifle, plan to use my .40 or .36.
Any thoughts?

~Tony

11/20/2014 12:24 PM  #10

Yes, there are a good number of offhand rifles being used. Some of the fellows using them do quite well. The new "hunter" class is intended to use factory and offhand rifles in order to include more shooters who do not have dedicated table guns.
Mark

11/20/2014 2:41 PM  #11

Tony
when we first started having table shoots. Our hope was to see a lot of offhand rifle's probably squirrel guns come out of the closet and we have seen quite a bit of that as we knew would happen. People almost immediately started building rifles suited to the game but the old standby, offhand rifles stay competitive and as Mark said, while we were writing the rules for the nationals, we included a Hunter class, which is intended for just that, offhand hunting rifles. So you're 36 or 40 should fit right in and do very well. At the local clubs attendance will probably dictate whether they have two classes or just one.
We wanted to put the shooter back in the shoot, but still make it accessible to everybody so far were having pretty good luck. By the way I see you're from northern Kentucky would be East Central or Western, Northern Kentucky. We have five shoots a year at Allen Coon's and have one at friendship off-season and of course will be having table shoots at both the spring and fall nationals this coming year. Hope to see you around.

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

11/20/2014 4:34 PM  #12

Mark,

When you say Hunter Class, your talking about the Table Shoot at Friendship in the spring?
Sounds like a lot of fun!!

11/20/2014 5:04 PM  #13

The rifle that I have used once for that is my experience at table shooting is a .40 cal rifle that weighs less than 10#. I actually made it for shooting the Squirrel Rifle Bench Rest at the Nationals if I ever get back there. I figured that it would work just fine for Table Shooting too. Now that Big John has one started over in the middle of the state and a couple of guys are now getting interested at my home club I figure on getting a lot my experience at this game.

RB

11/20/2014 5:47 PM  #14

Tony,
Yes the Hunter class will be shot at Friendship and I'm certain that Robin will integrate it into the matches at Coon's. The difference between Hunter and Open is that the Hunter rifles must weigh no more than 10#, have open sights at the rear and must have a conventional side hammer lock. Front sights may be the same as the Open class. Opens it up to a multitude of factory rifles as well as some modified offhand rifles.
Mark

11/20/2014 6:46 PM  #15

That's good I like that! I really wondered about the 13# limit just figured that was a open invitation for custom built target rifles.

RB

11/20/2014 6:58 PM  #16

Rich,
We want everyone who wants to play the game to have an opportunity. 
Mark

11/21/2014 9:01 AM  #17

MMprwarner wrote:

It is very interesting to see how Paul's prophecy is coming true. That's the one where he said, this game is not necessarily designed for existing rifles. Although we hope people will use them. People will build rifles to fit the game.

Yes, we knew when we were setting up the criteria for the equipment and the rifle in which we were trying to hold down a continuing equipment race. We also knew people would immediately start building rifles that would push thresholds of the criteria. It would not matter what kind of weight limit. We set or any other criteria we may have set up for the rifle, human nature and competitive spirit will drive people to push the threshold. We had really hoped to see a lot of hunting rifles come out of the closet and they have, I hope to be able to run two classes at our home club shoots. However, attendance for both classes will have to prove it to be worthwhile.

I believe Mark put it best. We want everybody that wants to play to feel welcome and I hope that we are doing a good job of that.

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

11/21/2014 11:36 AM  #18

Thanks for the help.    What barrels are used without getting into the long wait?
Called Track and they said GM no longer makes ML barrels.....

11/21/2014 12:55 PM  #19

Try Stonewallcreek they had some Green Mountain and Rice barrels listed the last time that I looked about a week ago.

RB

Last edited by rhbrink (11/21/2014 12:56 PM)

11/21/2014 1:43 PM  #20

The Hunter Class sounds perfect! Can't wait.

Robin,
I was able to make it Coons last Feb. for a Table Shoot. I came with Bo and a few others from Ky.
Schedule and other things prevented me from coming to more. I do plan on attending them in the future as well as Friendship.
Do you have any dates for Coons Shoots for next year?

Tony

11/21/2014 7:18 PM  #21

Tony I haven't got the schedule firmed up yet. I have a tentative schedule put together, I just need to get with Julia and get the dates locked in. There will not be a December or February shoot this year. I think I've tempted fate on the weather on those too much. We will be moving them into the spring and summer of the Year. We will glad to see you get back up this direction take care.

Last edited by MMprwarner (11/21/2014 7:19 PM)

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

11/22/2014 9:31 PM  #22

Is there a shoot scedual for the Mid-West? For Chunk and Table matches?

Like to go to several next year.

Ky, Tn, ILL, Ind, Ark, Mo. iowa---- in particular

11/23/2014 7:33 AM  #23

Oldbow, I'll post what I know about out here west of the Mississippi.

Iowa, I don't think that there is much of this type of shooting going on at Least I haven't heard or read about any.

Arkansas, I don't know of any table or chunk gun shoots but surely there must be some somewhere? There is a good black powder match held at Berryville in the Spring and Fall but it is more benchrest, offhand, pistol-revolver, shotgun type thing.

Missouri, we do have guite a bit of muzzle loading shooting going on around the state. There is a Table Shoot that happens twice a year just north of Ste. Genevieve. This happens  sometime around Easter and one in the Fall about the third week of September. This is an old one and has been going on for about 130 years or so I've been told. Owl Creek Muzzle Loaders near Colombia is starting up some Table Shooting Big John will probably be along and tell you more about that and schedules for next year. Next year Fort Osage Muzzle Loaders over in the West-Central part of the state is going to have some Table Shoots I don't dates yet also we do a three day Benchrest match sometime in the summer along with the State championship matches and a Fall Indian Summer shoot also a Territorial Match in the Spring. Then there is the Bevel Brothers World Championship Chunk gun match in October about the third weekend I think. This one is North of Kansas City. And then there is Charlie's Old Farm Shoot they every Sunday all Winter I don't know much about this one it is East of Jefferson City. It's kind of a combination table benchrest chunk gun match and it's a meat shoot? Big John knows a lot more about this than I do never been there but I plan to fix that this Winter.

RB

11/23/2014 8:21 AM  #24

Oldbow
As soon as the dates come in for IN, OH, KY & Mi ect I'll post them. Sometime around Christmas.

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

11/23/2014 10:42 AM  #25

Good morning !
 >>>Owl Creek Muzzle Loaders near Colombia is starting up some Table Shooting Big John will probably be along and tell you more about that and schedules for next year.<<<
I had one shoot a couple of weeks ago and we had so much fun, decided we are going to have some more shoots! I am currently waiting for the bow shooters to get their dates set for the upcoming year. The cowboy shooters have claimed the second Saturday of the month so I can schedule around them. The MoOffHandAssn. also have 19/20 shoots during the summer so I may have to step on their toes a little but most of those shooters are not table shooters anyway.
>>> And then there is Charlie's Old Farm Shoot they every Sunday all Winter I don't know much about this one it is East of Jefferson City. It's kind of a combination table benchrest chunk gun match and it's a meat shoot? Big John knows a lot more about this than I do never been there but I plan to fix that this Winter.<<<
I
 shot here with this bunch of guy's several years ago. I haven't been down there in the past 5 years and understand they have changed their rules a little to get back to the more traditional rifle shooting of old. Rifles that a man would carry with him on a daily basis instead of the great heavy guns. That is the way I think it should be. I will be going down there soon.
I will be posting Owl Creek dates as soon as they become available. Today would have been a grteat day!!

Big John in the Kingdom of Callaway 

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

11/25/2014 7:16 AM  #26

MMprwarner wrote:

It is very interesting to see how Paul's prophecy is coming true. That's the one where he said, this game is not necessarily designed for existing rifles. Although we hope people will use them. People will build rifles to fit the game.As I have seen this develop over the past couple of years I have really started to wonder if making a rifle weighs close to 13 pounds as you can really means all that much. And yes, mine does weigh 12.6# that is mostly because I use an existing butt stock, and under hammer action from my chunk gun and had Paul cut a 38 caliber inch and 1/8 across the flats 30 inches long with an offset breech plug just to get going.I see a lot of guys shooting anywhere from 7 to 11 pound rifles very competitively. I believe one of the things we need to remember was in the makeup of the equipment (table and pyramid) are not intended to be bench rest quality. There is a lot of flex in the table and even more flex can develop in the pyramid. I stated this before in another string of post once when you're pushing the weight limit to its extremes. Be careful that when you go to a range away from your home range that the scales are just enough different to put you over.With all that being said, a 1 1/8 inch barrel 42 inch long is probably only going to leave you a pound and a quarter to a pound and a half for the stock triggers lock and trigger guard . Lots of luck, but I just don't think you'll make it. With that much barrel. Let me know how that turns out it will be interesting to hear.

most of the buffalo shooters used 38 inches of 1 1/8 to make weight in 50 cal for longer they used tappered barrel; like you said robi the stock and action eat up weight real quick
dag

11/25/2014 6:05 PM  #27

I calcuated 1 1/8" x 42"x .50 cal = 10.18#,
1" x 42" X .50 cal = 7.56#
  Lock, trigger, stock and screws ect.   = 3.3/4# , checked  with the postage scale.
1 1/8 DON"T make it............ 
Thank for the help. Ern

Last edited by Oldbow (11/25/2014 6:07 PM)

11/25/2014 6:49 PM  #28

Could you take a couple of inches off the 1 1/8 barrel? If you mainly wanting to shot Table shoots I think that you could get by with a shorter barrel? A light weight piece of walnut for a half stock would help too and you could do away with the under rib. Very staight grained Eastern walnut is lighter than maple most of the time. Some original rifles didn't even have a butt plate that would probably save you 1/2 a pound just guessing?

RB

Last edited by rhbrink (11/26/2014 7:04 AM)

11/25/2014 10:01 PM  #29

Rich is on the right track. Many of the longer barrels are 1" or less. My barrel is 1 1/8" X 34" in .40 caliber. I feel the shorter barrel is also more rigid and controls flexing and vibration better. You can also eliminate the forestock completely. It doesn't have to be the prettiest rifle in the rack to shoot well.
Mark

11/28/2014 9:42 AM  #30

I want this gun to do duty at both chunk and table shooting for now.
I'll build a dedicated chunk gun later.

Board footera