MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2016 3:25 PM  #1

offhand rifle /best stock

Hi the forum ,  as I am making an offhand rifle  and since I really know very little about what makes a good /the best combination I could end up with something that only a mother could love and I would rather put together a rifle that will ensure that any problems on the line will be generated by the nut behind the butt rather than the gear I am using .. So with you good offices hopefully I can put together a rifle that should do the lob .. Robhttp://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

3/20/2016 3:36 PM  #2

Re: offhand rifle /best stock

OK I see I should have had a look around before posting  ,As I see the question has been asked what I would like to get is drop at heel / comb, schutzen or shotgun butt plate .or english target style already commited to half stock and .45 cal can go bigger on the cal but prefer .45... Rob

3/20/2016 4:02 PM  #3

I am too old to be a bad example but I can still give poor advice.  Which would be, fondle as many rifles, shotguns as possible and measure the drop, etc. on the ones you like.
  Maybe someone who knows something will chime in here.  good luck.

BTW...on offhand, I like a shorter pull and bigger drop than what is found on store bought myself.

slacker

3/20/2016 4:56 PM  #4

A lot of this depends on your physical build  but as stated try as many stocks as possible. I like to keep my head up as I shoot that way I can see what the conditions are doing as I'm sighting on the target at least as much as possible. For me the Hawken type stock works very well for offhand about a 3 inch drop and length of pull that suits you but for offhand shooting shorter is better than too long. A little bit of crescent shape to the butt plate but not too much and wider is better that narrow for me. I don't think that you can go wrong with a .45 cal rifle for offhand shooting with a 56 to 66 inch twist.

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

3/21/2016 1:25 AM  #5

Thanks guys , when black powder shooting got underway here in the middle 60's the only rifles in use were a very small scattering of originals mostly british military or home builts and  and the home built's were pretty ugly ..Then a guy here who was making center fire barrels came to the party and produced a lot of what could be loosely called plains rifles .. at the time these shot so well compared to the spanish and jap guns which were really wall hangers the locals thought we had died and gone to heaven the only other rifles that came into the country that could be termed as good repilcas of actual rifles of the ml period were the   Parker Hale muskets and two that I imported from the GRRW of Australia  a leman trade gun in 54 cal and a lancaster pattern in 50 cal both these last two shot extremely well and both made it to the MLAIC champs   ... now having set the scene the NZ version of the plains gun is still used in numbers with the two I imported having vanished  ,so that the chance handle as many different styles /  makes  guns as possible is a bit of a dont  I wish  problem  but thanks for the advise  ..guess i will have to look at a lot of pictures and take on board what I can from what you have written  .. Rob

3/21/2016 6:35 AM  #6

I said Hawken but actually any of the plains type rifles will do and the Leman is very good too. Another that I like for offhand is the Vincent style but to me it has to be modified as the originals had a very deep crescent butt plate, those fellows must have had real skinny arms. It is a neat looking rifle  a late percussion style with distinct flowing lines and I like the trigger guard it does have a lot of drop to the butt plate but that's OK for strictly offhand.  A style that I don't like at all is the Thompson Center, the stock for me is too straight and the comb is way too high and the sights to low causing the top of the comb to cut into my cheek bone, very uncomfortable and annoying! Most if not all the military rifles that you mentioned are also too straight for me.  Any more question fire away! Feel free to PM me  if you like as these are my experiences and yours may be different.

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

Board footera