MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2014 5:34 PM  #1

Table gun

I have just finished an under hammer 38cal. Gun for table shoots. The barrel is one of Paul's. it definitely does its part as long as I do mine. I have set it for peeps. Man the decision to allow peeps has really allowed me to get back to shooting again. I can actually clearly see the sights again. I would love to hear and see what type of guns other people are planning on shooting table matches with.

5/06/2014 12:50 PM  #2

Re: Table gun

I also have finally finished a new table gun and am anxious to try her out. .40 caliber Ed Rayl barrel on an under hammer action with rear peep and Griffith front sight. Hoping a spider might wander in front of a shot or two. See you all there.

5/14/2014 2:46 AM  #3

SAW A NEW 1 1/8  TAPPERED TO 1 INCH .38 CAL 34 LONG MADE BY DON GETZ  ON LONGRIFLES FOR 190  .THAT OUGHT TO BE SWEET HOOKED UP TO BOWERS ACTION OR ANY OTHER ONE

5/14/2014 5:04 PM  #4

Can one of you good folks school me in the finer points differentiating a table gun from, say, a light bench gun or a chunk gun? Weight, of course. But...  I have suspicions, seeking confirming or conflicting info.

Thanks!

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

5/14/2014 6:43 PM  #5

Kermit,
Table guns must be no more than 13# can have rear peep sights and post and bead or blade front sights, no apertures in the front. Shaders are allowed but no false muzzles, rubber recoil pads or cant blocks. There is no limit on caliber.

Chunk rifles have no weight or caliber limits and can use shaders. The rear sight must be open and the front can be either post and bead or blade. The rear sight must be at least 6" in front of the breach. No rubber recoil pads or false muzzles but cant blocks are allowed.

Light bench rifles have a 13# weight limit and can have rear peep sights and aperture front sights.  False muzzles and cant blocks are also allowed. There is no caliber limit.

Table and chunk guns must use flint or percussion cap ignition. I "think" that an enclosed ignition can be used on light bench.

It is obvious that there are overlapping features on all three dicsiplines but each match, and rifle, is a creature all its own. Hope this helps answer your question. If you have more, let us know.
Mark 

5/14/2014 7:19 PM  #6

Mark has pretty well summed it up.

5/14/2014 8:14 PM  #7

I would try to add something to what mark said but I think I would only confuse the situation I have to agree with Ken he pretty much summed it up.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

5/22/2014 7:08 AM  #8

If we don't travel this weekend, I think I'll get my .40 caliber one inch barreled chunk gun out that weighs in at 12-3/4 pounds and figure our the bench/table build for this 42 inch barreled rifle.  It would be a good weekend project.  That is if we don't travel.  If I recall correctly, I believe the distance for table shooting is 30 yards?  Is that right?

Joe

5/22/2014 9:33 AM  #9

30 yards is correct for table shooting.

5/22/2014 4:08 PM  #10

That should make a great table gun. The weight is right on. 13lbs or less.
Have you decided what sights you re going to go with on your table gun?
Open or peeps?

5/22/2014 4:10 PM  #11

We'll all cross our fingers that the weather holds and you don't have to hit the road. Let us know how it works out.
Mark

5/22/2014 8:55 PM  #12

I used a Lyman 57 mounted on a long bar and one of Paul Griffith's front post and bead. I can send pics if you send an email. I can't post but you are welcome to if you can.
Mark

Last edited by smokinbuck (5/22/2014 9:25 PM)

5/22/2014 8:57 PM  #13

To kind of expand on what Ken's talking about I hope you don't mind Ken. Lots of guys are having luck with peep sights. But I see lots of guys having luck with a variety of open sights. So I think it comes down to personal preference.
As far as barrels go I think we're likely to see everything from 32  clear up to 45 there really are no caliber restrictions, but that seems to be watched popular. I would really like to see that Getz barrel that Dag is talking about mounted up that just kind of sounds cool.
Well I ride alone enough for now I'll talk to you later.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

5/23/2014 9:26 AM  #14

Dedicated guns for bench and chunk are often built with a buttstock only and no ramrod pipes. Would a dedicated table gun be acceptable in that format? I'm imagining a lighter version of my underhammer chunk gun.

5/23/2014 10:55 AM  #15

Absolutly. That's the way I built mine.

5/23/2014 12:44 PM  #16

That's basically how I built mine also. The only difference I set the table gun with peep sights.

5/23/2014 1:46 PM  #17

I think I smell a project brewing...

5/23/2014 1:49 PM  #18

I can forward some pics of what I built if you want. Looks just like my chunk gun with a shorter barrel and peeps.
Mark

5/26/2014 2:29 PM  #19

So, globe front sights but none of those little round hole insert things? Globe okay but with the right insert? Just building a fantasy at this point. I've been amusing myself with a flinter with a .50 x 7/8" x 48" DeHass barrel with "traditional" sights. Not the best sight picture for fine work, given my ol' eyes.

5/26/2014 5:41 PM  #20

hey guys , i think you left out one thing " no teflon" patching in table gun.

5/26/2014 5:42 PM  #21

Mark I would love to see some pictures of your gun.

5/29/2014 8:07 PM  #22

You are right Wayne no,Teflon on table matches.

5/29/2014 10:03 PM  #23

Ken,
I can't post, lazy and puter illiterate, but if you get me an email I will be glad to forward pics. If you like, you would be welcome to post them.
Mark

6/01/2014 7:30 PM  #24

Hey Snuffer did you get started on your gun.

6/01/2014 8:43 PM  #25

Just picked up a never used .40 Bill Large light tapered barrel that I'm going to build my wife's rifle around. Maybe she'll let me borry it for a table shoot sometime.

6/01/2014 8:50 PM  #26

Nice find. Should  make a nice rifle. What type are you going to make out of it.

Last edited by Ken (6/01/2014 8:51 PM)

6/02/2014 9:28 AM  #27

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of McCoy half stock precarves from a friend and a .32 GM barrel from Ft. Chambers gun shop. I already had some Manton Waterproof locks so I built me a squirrel rifle. My wife shoots it on occasion as does my daughter. We had a sale at our club Saturday and there was quite a collection of new old stock Bill Large, Jim McCartney and unmarked barrels. A lack of money limited me to one barrel. (I did get a box full of old Siler lock kits and some hardware.) Anyhow, I figure to build another flint half stock like my .32 for my wife. One of these days, maybe we'll get to try them both out at a table shoot.

7/06/2014 5:16 PM  #28

More questions:

Any barrel length limits--minimum or maximum?

I hear of the use of adjustable peeps. But you are not allowed to adjust them, right? So you dial in your sights, presumably before arriving, and then what? Tape? Glue? Honor system?

7/06/2014 5:45 PM  #29

Kermit,
No limit on barrel length or caliber, just the 13# weight limit. If peep sights are being used they must be dialed in before you shoot for record, no adjustments after you have started the match. At this point it has been an honor system regarding the adjustment of sights during a match. I personally don't think I want wax, and for sure not glue, running in to my peeps. It would probably do a lot more harm than good.
Mark

7/07/2014 9:17 AM  #30

Thanks, Mark!

Board footera