MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2018 1:35 AM  #1

Powder Savr powder dispenser. What's the long screw for?

I picked this up yesterday at the Prairie State Longrifle Show.  It seemed like something I ought to have for shooting on the line.

I thought the operation appeared to be quite straightforward, but what the heck is the long screw for?  What do I do with it?

TIA!

I am:  In Over My Head

2/25/2018 7:37 AM  #2

Re: Powder Savr powder dispenser. What's the long screw for?

Never heard of that. What is it?

2/26/2018 5:29 PM  #3

It's a powder dispenser!  These, or something like them, seem to be very common on the line at Friendship.

You screw it onto a metal Goex can and then invert it (so the can is upside down) and mount it on a bracket or whatever.  You use your powder measure to press in that sliding gate valve and the measure fills with powder.  Withdraw the measure and the powder is closed off and the measure is filled level to the mouth without having to strike off any powder onto the ground.  And all the fumbling around opening and closing your powder container is eliminated.

Like I say, it is all perfectly straightforward - except for that long screw!  What the heck is that for?

2/26/2018 7:40 PM  #4

OK thanks. I’ve never seen one.

3/14/2018 1:45 PM  #5

Does anyone know where you can order one of these?  Do you by chance have a card for the guy you bought it from?

Thx,
MR

3/15/2018 12:46 AM  #6

No wirebrush, I do not know who it was I bought it from.  Sorry.  But if I ever see one available I'll try to put you on it.

(Edited to add...)   Wait!  I do have a lead!  I thought the instruction sheet was pretty generic, but I got it out and it does have information which actually seems to lead somewhere.

Like here---->  http://www.number1stop.com/contact.html

That site has the same business name, address and phone number as the instruction sheet although they are manufacturers of 'throttle stops'. ??? 

(Another thought...)  If I remember the story correctly I think the guy I bought it from said he found a batch of them that had been contracted for but never picked up.  If this #1 Stop place made them, maybe he knows who bought that batch?  You might need to play detective.  Like maybe #1st Stop contracted for them and didn't pick them up but they could point you to the machinist who could point you to the guy who bought the batch????  Good luck!

Last edited by ClaudeH (3/15/2018 10:46 AM)

3/15/2018 1:58 PM  #7

ClaudeH,

Thanks for the information.  I have sent an e-mail to the contact, will see what he says.  If I ever reach the designer I will try to ask your question to him.

Thx,
Mike Ross

3/17/2018 7:09 PM  #8

ClaudeH,

Thanks for the feedback, I got in touch with the machinist that made them and he is going to send me the contact information for the guy that is selling them.  I asked about the long screw and he said he had them laying around and decided to put them on there to hook your finger around to react against the spring force when compressing the slide.

Thanks,
Mike

3/17/2018 11:54 PM  #9

Good for you, Mike!  It looks like you've probably tracked one down.

And you solved my mystery.  I had resigned myself to forever wondering what that long screw was for.  I can see that it would be convenient for pulling the measure against the spring pressure.  I had only imagined having the dispenser mounted to something pretty substantial, so that use hadn't occurred to me.

5/20/2018 9:53 PM  #10

Well, I FINALLY got to the range to try out my new pistol and powder dispenser!

The dispenser works as slick as advertised.  With a fairly common 1/2" diameter commercial measure just press it in, pull it out and - Voila! - the measure is full level to the top, no spilled powder and the container remains closed for safety. 

If only the pistol had been so cooperative!  It took an average of 3 or 4 trigger pulls to get ignition.  But it shot a reasonable group (for someone in over their head) when it did go off.  I'm not going to complain, I have a lot to learn about operating a flintlock before I can blame anything but me.  Up until yesterday I had fired exactly one shot from a flintlock!  I did not try replacing the flint which I am pretty sure needed it.  And I haven't learned to knap a flint yet so I resorted to sharpening it with a diamond file.  (I'm failing historical correctness miserably, aren't I?)

I was losing daylight rapidly so I only got to fire a couple of shots from my also-new-to-me flintlock Hawken.  It fired promptly both times.

This is supposed to be my introduction to flintlocks year and it looks like it is going to be a fun summer!

Last edited by ClaudeH (5/21/2018 1:15 AM)

5/20/2018 11:51 PM  #11

I have something very similar laying around here somewhere! I bought it from a fellow shooter (can't remember who) several years ago down at Charlie's Old Farm shoot. It worked great when loading at a bench. I think it was something he had come up with, again can't remember! Looks like he should have patented the loader.

​I never shot much flint gun either but always wanted to. I bought a .40 cal. poor boy rifle years ago. Matter of fact it was the first long rifle I ever owned. I had tried to buy it the year before and it was a flint. When I did get it bought the previous owner had already converted it to cap lock. I shot it for several years before I built a ugly fence post in .54 cal.. My grandson shot the .40 and won 1st. in his class the next 7 years! I'm now going to put the flintlock back on it if I can locate the place I put it!
Can you tell I'm getting old?

​Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

5/21/2018 8:22 AM  #12

Wish I was closer, besides I could use some one to shoot with

Board footera