MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2018 2:04 PM  #1

Removable kant, cant, block or bar.

Hi, I'm working on my low cost low tech version of an Over The Log Gun. With stuff I already have.  Which is a 42" 15/16 40 cal barrel a walnut stock that is about 10" or so,  too short for the barrel. I'd like to add a removable cant block. I have plenty of scrap wood available. I would really like some thing that looks home grown and turn of the century Appalachian and I would like ideas, like how tall and how wide. The best would be to repurpose something.  Any and all help is appreciated!  I did an internet search and found a few, none really grabed an attention. Thanks, again!!

Last edited by nedSchimmel (1/31/2018 2:09 PM)

Bigfoot is my frend
When I die please don"t let me vote democrat

1/31/2018 7:42 PM  #2

Re: Removable kant, cant, block or bar.

Ned,
Can't blocks are as varied and as numerous as there are chunk guns and almost all are removable. Your best, and quickest, bet would would be to cut a hole matching your barrel through a wood block approx 2" thick by 4" high by 6" wide. Put the hole at the top of the block. Split the block through the hole and connect the 2 blocks with a threaded rod with nuts and washers. Clamp the two halves on your barrel and draw tight with the through bolt. This is simple and will work till you find something you like better.
Mark

2/01/2018 10:06 AM  #3

Thanks for the info, that sounds alot like Hoot Al's "chunk gun adapter". I'm leaning toward repurposing route. Thanks again for the help!

Bigfoot is my frend
When I die please don"t let me vote democrat

2/02/2018 2:55 PM  #4

I was wondering if any clubs that hold chunk shoots have a size limit on cant blocks

Dick

2/03/2018 7:13 PM  #5

Cant block design is only limited by your ability to see the sights and your imagination. Remember every place that I have been. The cant block must be able to slide on top of the chuck, so it will need to be somewhat narrower than inside of your chunk it can have no pins or other devices to hold it in place.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

Board footera