MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/17/2017 9:29 AM  #1

Flint table rifle build

I picked up a bargain at Friendship last week. A nice maple stock blank that was cut for a 1 1/8" barrel. It had a crack that was discovered during shaping, so I got it at a bargain price. I'll stabilize the crack and glue in a matching sliver to hide the repair.
I will use a 36" Rice match barrel in .54 cal. That's overkill for a table gun, but I plan on using it for a light chunk gun also. The finished gun should weigh about 12#.
The lock will be a Chambers Dale Johnson flinter, and I'll install a 5/16" White Lightning liner.

Il'l put both open and a traditional removable peep sight on.

I also picked up a bargain butt plate and trigger guard at Friendship. I'll style the rifle somewhat like a york or Lancaster. It will get carving and engraving, just because..
This will be my winter project. hope to be done by the York shoot.

Untitled by okawbow, on Flickr

9/17/2017 6:00 PM  #2

Re: Flint table rifle build

I'm interested! This'll be fun!!

Bigfoot is my frend
When I die please don"t let me vote democrat

9/17/2017 10:28 PM  #3

Looks like a good winters project. I did not really search commercial row to see what was there

9/18/2017 8:58 AM  #4

Wanted to build another gun, but didn't know what I wanted yet. Saw the stock blank, and let that make up my mind.

Going to need a table gun anyway. Getting harder to handle the heavy chunk gun and get up and down off the ground. Being able to use a peep sight will be handy also.

Chuck

9/18/2017 11:09 AM  #5

Look forward to seeing the finished rifle.

Dick

9/18/2017 12:41 PM  #6

Giddy-up. Looking forward to seeing it.

9/21/2017 4:30 PM  #7

Can I assume that this will be a "hunter" style build as opposed to an "open" build? I think an open class build sounds interesting. I may have to try one! Thanks! Keep us posted!

Last edited by nedSchimmel (9/21/2017 4:35 PM)

Bigfoot is my frend

9/21/2017 5:38 PM  #8

The open class is up to 13# and can use peep sights. This gun should finish a little over 12# so will work for the open class. I believe the hunter class is under 10# and open sights only. I already have a .40 cal. that will work for the Hunter class with a different front sight.

I got the barrel yesterday and have it mostly inlet. Those Rice match barrels are really nice!

9/21/2017 7:35 PM  #9

Rice match is nice barrel.  I was going to suggest 40 or 45, but if you've got 54, try it. 

My heavy halfstock with 36" 40 1 1/8 weighs 12# 12oz with cardboard shader (need to make aluminum one, steel shader is too heavy).  Bbl. is 9.5# with patent breech, iirc.  Had to remove rib and sight riser blocks as well to "make weight".

I added all the weight I could to stock because I use it for chunk, too (with a 44" .50).  So you may be closer to 11#? 

Interested to see how it comes out!

9/25/2017 2:47 PM  #10

Got the barrel in tight so the wood doesn't warp. Can take my time on the rest.

had to set it back slightly to line up the touch hole to the pan, when the lock is in the correct spot. Don't have a lock yet, but am using a full size picture to check alignment.

Untitled by okawbow, on FlickrUntitled by okawbow, on Flickr

Last edited by Okawbow (9/25/2017 2:48 PM)

2/03/2018 1:35 PM  #11

I don't want to seem pushy, but any progress or updates? Thanks!!

Bigfoot is my frend

2/03/2018 7:59 PM  #12

I got side tracked building a .75 caliber matchlock musket. I'm finishing up the musket and will get back on the table gun shortly.

3/22/2018 12:00 PM  #13

Starting to get a little work done on the table rifle.

I planed down the barrel channel sides to expose 1/2 the barrel flats.
Inlet the butt plate and did a little rough shaping.
Started on the lock inlet.

I'm thinking about using a single unset trigger for this gun, and trying to get it set for a light, crisp pull. I've had trouble in the past with my set triggers going off before I'm ready.

4/03/2018 7:18 PM  #14

I've got to work on the rifle quite a bit the last few days. Finished inleting the lock, triggers, and trigger guard.  Made the side plate, ramrod thimbles, toe plate and end cap, and installed them. Roughed out the stock.

Might do some carving and maybe will do a wooden patchbox.

4/04/2018 2:04 PM  #15

Lookn' good there okawbow! Finished rifle will be very nice.

Big John in the Kingdom of Callaway

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

4/16/2018 3:56 PM  #16

Got the gun to a semi rough finished state. today I made and installed the sights. The front sight is a post and dot. The rear sight is a peep, with 3 different sized holes. .040, .051, and .062, for different light conditions. I have a little windage adjustment, and can bend the bar or put in a wedge for height.

I used the sight slot and tang bolt to mount the sight without having to drill any new holes.

Last edited by Okawbow (4/16/2018 3:58 PM)

4/17/2018 12:39 PM  #17

Really like that rear sight set up. Okawbow Could we get a little more info on it? Rifle is really starting to look great!!

4/17/2018 9:22 PM  #18

Greengunner wrote:

Really like that rear sight set up. Okawbow Could we get a little more info on it? Rifle is really starting to look great!!

I made the sight bar from 1/4” x 1/2” steel bar. The peep holder is a piece of 1 1/4” round steel brazed to the bar, with a dove tail sawed and filed to half a sliding bar. The bar has 3 holes drilled in it for the peeps. There are 2 screws to hold the sliding bar.

I drilled and tapped a slug that is a tight fit in the rear sight slot, and used a 6-32 screw to hold the sight bar to the slug. I drilled and countersunk a hole through the rear part of the sight bar to replace the tang screw with a longer screw to hold the sight bar.

4/18/2018 7:48 AM  #19

Okawbow,
As I said on another site, if it shoots as good as it looks you've got a winner. Obviously there is no windage or elevation adjustment on your set up, or is there? It appears to be a rigid mount.
Mark

4/18/2018 8:21 AM  #20

Nice thought out design and well built Okawbow. Very nice. Thanks

4/18/2018 9:12 AM  #21

smokinbuck wrote:

Okawbow,
As I said on another site, if it shoots as good as it looks you've got a winner. Obviously there is no windage or elevation adjustment on your set up, or is there? It appears to be a rigid mount.
Mark

I can adjust windage by sliding the peep bar. Not too worried about elevation. I can bend the bar or insert a wedge to get it close.

4/19/2018 5:50 PM  #22

Got the stain and a few coats of oil on the stock.I assembled the rifle to test shoot today, and am very pleased with the results. I set up a table and target at 30 yards. I used a 2 1/2" dot for a spotter.

My load was 60 grains 2F Old Eynesford. The ball was .535", and the patch was .018" teflon on twill.
The Chambers Johnson lock was super fast and never failed to go off perfectly in about 20 tried, with a flint that has had over 40 strikes.

Every shot I fired with a good sight picture and where I held steady and followed through, went into literally the same hole. When I was off a half inch; I knew I had moved during the shot. This gun shoots much better than I can hold!

Here is the rifle.

Here is the last five shots.

4/20/2018 8:13 AM  #23

Looking like it has a lot of potential! Good looking also.
Mark

4/20/2018 10:51 AM  #24

Good looking rifle looks like you should be able too shoot a lot of spiders with it.

​    Do you still plan on also using it as a light chunk rifle? If so can you remove your peep sight, put
it back on and keep your zero.

Dick

4/24/2018 12:11 PM  #25

How did the weight come out?  Just curious.

From the target, it seems like your simple trigger is set up nicely!  I have somewhat reduced feeling in my fingers, so I understand not using a set trigger...mine are set up a little stiffer than most!

4/24/2018 1:11 PM  #26

The total weight with sights and ramrod is 12# 9oz.

I haven’t yet tried to work up a load. It shot well with just 60 gr. 2f. and a .535 ball. If I can go up in powder without too much recoil, I think the groups will improve a little.

What loads work well at 30 yards for other table shooters?

4/24/2018 1:51 PM  #27

Good job.  That weight is perfect: close to the limit, but with enough margin to add something if necessary !  Off the chunk, I think you'll appreciate every extra ounce!  Maybe a lead "snickers bar" in the patch box...and a heavy cant block.

Fine looking rifle.  Several .40s are shooting 60gr,, iirc, and I know of one 50 that sounds like it has 100 grains.  No idea what .54 would like best, but you wouldn't be crazy to try increasing load and see what happens to the group, which already looks pretty good, first run or not.

4/25/2018 7:28 AM  #28

I shoot .40's off the table and I'm shooting 60 grs FFFg. Don't know what a .54 will like. I have two unfired .54's on the rack  but they are more off hand rifles.
Mark

5/15/2018 11:35 AM  #29

So, it seems like the new table rifle works better than I expected. The combination of the .54 cal. Rice match barrel, 36”long, 1 1/8” straight, the simple single trigger, Chambers Dale Johnson flintlock, and home made sights produced a 2.1” string for me at the Indiana State Table Match this past weekend.

I used 65 grains of 2f Swiss powder behind a .535” ball. The patch was .018”, cut at the Muzzle. I wiped between shots with a damp patch, then a dry patch.

I shot with the ramrod in, no padding over the wood.

I don’t know if I can repeat strings like that one, but I think the rifle can produce tight enough groups to do it if I do my part.

Chuck

5/15/2018 11:56 PM  #30

Congratulations Chuck!

​Looks like this is gonna be a fine shooting table gun.
60 grains of 3F Goex was the favorite load for my .54 when off-hand shooting.

Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

Board footera