MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2017 2:53 PM  #1

Teflon patch in open class

My understanding of the NMLRA rules, which we follow as far as equipment allowed, is that teflon patching is allowed in open class, but not hunter class.  I interpret it this way because the open class matches say nothing about patch material, whereas the hunter class explicitly disallows Teflon.

For me, this was the final word: Teflon is allowed in open class matches. 

Contrary to this, the Table X shooting, how to pinned at top of this forum does seem to disallow Teflon in either class.  I believe that is because it is an early form of rules before creation of hunter class, but people referring to it are constantly telling me Teflon is not legal in either class.  Realistically, I don't care, as I don't think Teflon is any better than other options and don't use it, but I don't want to deny it to those who swear by it in open class. 

How are others interpreting these rules?  Do any open class matches rule out Teflon?

8/08/2017 3:11 PM  #2

Re: Teflon patch in open class

Barton,
Teflon is, and has been, allowed in the open class. I believe that was the intent from the beginning.
Mark

8/08/2017 3:26 PM  #3

Thanks, Mark.  That is how I've been interpretting it since we started our match and almost 100% certain I checked with Robin a long time ago, but I wanted to make sure I'm not crazy and get the topic out there "in print" as the issue comes up regularlyl

8/08/2017 4:39 PM  #4

If you go back an read the first post in Table Shooting by Robin Table Shooting how to you will
​see Teflon is not allowed.

Dick

8/08/2017 6:07 PM  #5

dickh wrote:

If you go back an read the first post in Table Shooting by Robin Table Shooting how to you will
​see Teflon is not allowed.

Dick

That is the document I referenced in my initial post on this topic.  I think that no teflon was the original intent and the rule at the time that was written, but that it was later allowed for open class matches, due to feedback from shooters.  

Do you disagree that the NMLRA rules allow teflon in open class matches?  Have you been to open class matches that did not allow teflon?

8/08/2017 7:48 PM  #6

Okay maybe I can shed some light on this in the original rules that Paul and I agreed on prior to NMLRA, WHICH BY THE WAY WERE WRITTEN AFTER PAUL PASSING. No Teflon patching was allowed. Teflon patching became allowed in the open class when the rules were written for thenmlra. Teflon patching was not allowed in the hunter class. Because the hunter class was intended to be a less intimidating class and we also felt that it would be more accurate for this class not to allow Teflon patching. I have not taken time to look it up but if I remember what I wrote in the original rules once again prior to writing the NMLR rules that no patching material could be used that was not available before I believe 1938 which did rule out Teflon. Now that I have completely confused you if you have questions feel free to put them out there and I will do my best to confuse you once again.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

8/08/2017 9:32 PM  #7

Thanks for the clarification and detail, Robin.  I will continue to allow Teflon in open class matches with a guilt-free conscience! 

Going with the NMLRA rules always seemed like the friendliest and fairest approach to me, but I didn't realize until someone local told me he was using the earlier rules that that was likely the source of the "no Teflon in table shoots rule" idea.  I had always read it as a historical document, and I know 1935 patches were big in original conception and continue in hunter class, but I did not realize people were reading it as the law after the NMLRA rules were written.

I'm still curious as to whether some open class matches don't allow Teflon at this point.  I guess that is the prerogative of each club?

Board footera