MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2017 4:42 PM  #1

All quiet

Everyone must have lock jaw nobody's talking about anything, shooting, building or just about how good they shot last week.
Mark

5/11/2017 9:45 PM  #2

Re: All quiet

Working to hard to shoot Mark, however I my wife and I had a good visit last weekend with robin and his wife and friend. Some of the kids came over and a goodly amount of powder and ball went into the side of the hill.

5/12/2017 5:57 AM  #3

Well Mark,
Since you brought it up....I have been trying to settle on a powder charge/patch for my 40 cal. flintlock ahead of the NMLRA Spring shoot. One of the curses of being a Scientist, is I always want to try something new.  Ever since September, I've bounced around the 35-50 gn. range. Finally settling on 50 gns. 3f Goex and a .014-.015 ( compressed) patch with Lehigh Valley liquid lube.
Loads easy, and holds true from 25-50 yds. That is to say...I can use a center hold across the course from 25-50 which helps a lot when shooting "random shapes" on the primitive range where I spend most of my time. Going to 100 I'm finding 65 gns. seems to work, once again, with a center hold.
Down here in Florida, (Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club) we're having our "Gong Shoot" tommorrow ( 5/13/17).
Round Steel targets, hanging on chains at 25-50-100 yds. All shot offhand. I don't have the exact diameters, but at each range, the steel targets we're using are pretty close in size to the black bull area on the NMLRA targets for each distance.
Hope to see everyone at the Spring Shoot..!!

5/12/2017 7:29 AM  #4

Hi Don,
I also shoot .40. I have two and both like 60 grs of Goex 3f under a .395 ball with .018 ticking lubed with Mr Flintlock. It's a snug fit but works well for me. See you in June.
Mark

5/12/2017 1:44 PM  #5

That doesn't surprise me Mark. I've gotten some really great groups with 55 grns and .020 teflon patch.
At the moment, my front sight is too short to work with loads in the 55-60 gn range, but I might pick up a new sight in June and work on it.
I ordered 2 new ones recently to try, but the supplier sent the wrong ones. It's getting too close to the Spring shoot now, on top of everything else I have going on, to start over. I'll shoot what I have, and maybe perhaps get something else for September.
See ya'll soon..!!!

5/14/2017 10:43 AM  #6

For what it's worth, I had a fairly heavy barreled (Green Mountain, 15/16 x 42) rifle that shot incredibly well with 70 gr. FFg Goex,.395 ball and pretty darn tight denim patch.  Don't be afraid to load 'em up heavy.

5/14/2017 5:56 PM  #7

For what it's worth, I just got home from the State table shoot in Indiana and with the 60 gr charge I spoke of shot a 3.4+ string yesterday. Today's string we won't discuss.
Mark

5/15/2017 5:58 AM  #8

Thats a nice string, Mark.
Good shooting. Y'all had great weather for the shoot I hear.
Sorry I missed it.
We're trying a few new combinations down here getting ready for the next table shoot over at Morehead on the May 27.

Keep shooting.

Carl

Board footera