MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2016 7:21 PM  #1

Allen Underhammer Actions

A friend of mine has one of these actions and after about 200 shots the trigger failed. The point that engages the hammer broke off.

He ordered 2 replacement triggers, put one in and it lasted about 17 shots before it failed just as the original.

Do these triggers need any kind of heat treatment before they are installed or are they to be used as supplied. They appear to be of cast steel and no directions were supplied as to needing any kind of work before installing.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

Anybody else having similar issues?

Carl

7/30/2016 7:04 PM  #2

Re: Allen Underhammer Actions

Trigger problem resolved.

Hammer had a half cock notch that was catching the trigger just as the hammer was ready to hit the percussion cap and the impact was enough that after several shots it broke the nose off the trigger.

Without a fly there was no way to keep the trigger nose out of the half cock notch.

As the action is on a table gun and only capped after the gun is resting on the pyramid facing down range, the half cock notch was removed and now the hammer falls freely, the cap goes off with each pull of the trigger so now maybe the group will start to shrink.

7/30/2016 8:35 PM  #3

Well hope that takes care of it?

7/31/2016 2:18 PM  #4

I'm told by my buddy Dan that owns the gun that all is well now and the gun is functioning as it should.

After looking at it and seeing how the action works, the design is inherently flawed. Spring pressure on the trigger keeps in constant contact with the back edge of the hammer as it moves down on the cap and and thus it can't avoid falling into the half cock notch as it passes by.

Will try the rifle out this week before heading down to Bryan Station's table shoot on Saturday.

Hope to see everybody there.

Carl

8/01/2016 9:08 PM  #5

Carl,

That is a bad design!  Your modification should fix it for good, with no real downside for this application.

8/02/2016 7:03 AM  #6

Is this the older H & A type action if so then they can be a problem I have one of the Box Lock type under hammer actions and never had a problem with it.​ RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

8/02/2016 7:08 AM  #7

Barton,

Bo Courtney, Dan Bates and I are going to do some table shooting today to get warmed up for this Saturday down at your shoot.

We'll know today if the fix helps Dan shoot a little better.

Looks like there may be 4 of us coming down on Saturday.

Carl

8/02/2016 7:28 AM  #8

Richard,

The rifle was built about 2 years ago and belongs to a friend of mine.

I know the barrel was made in Kentucky by Wayne Jenkins and I'm very sure he put the action on the barrel but I'm not sure where he got the action from.

I do know that Dan called a fellow up in Indiana to get replacement triggers for the action.

After the second trigger failed in only 17 + shots, he asked me to take a look at it. It was obvious very quickly why the trigger failed. Unless you continued to pull the trigger as the hammer dropped, it would bump or often catch in the half cock notch just as the hammer was ready to strike the cap. This also explained why the cap ignition was also erratic
at times.

A little grinding and the problem was eliminated.

Carl

8/02/2016 4:15 PM  #9

Sounds good, Carl.  The more the merrier.  Looking forward to it.

A gun that works and goes off through a whole match can't hurt Dan's chances !

Board footera