MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2014 4:21 PM  #1

Schuetzen muzzleloaders?

Snuffer's query about cross-sticks shooting got me thinking about traditional muzzleloading schuetzen rifles. I run across originals (I know someone who has some) as well as seeing new-made rifles in this idiom. Does anyone know if there are opportunities to compete in this corner of muzzleloading? I guess it's a part of "offhand" that involves precision paper punching with its own set(s) of rules.

Interesting rifles show up on Roger Renner's underhammer blog and Bobby at Grey Haven Arms has made at least a couple. Originals show up on auction sites. There was some chatter about them on the old Wyoming Schuetzen Association forum, buy that discussion venue seems to have joined the dodo somewhere in the ether.

I'll see what I can find to link to Rogers's and Bobby's sites.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

6/22/2014 4:22 PM  #2

Re: Schuetzen muzzleloaders?

6/22/2014 4:23 PM  #3

6/22/2014 6:03 PM  #4

Kermit, the only opportunities I know of to compete in something like this is through the NMLRA, but that doen't mean there's not something going on out there somewhere with muzzle loading Schuetzen rifles.

I actually thought about building a dedicated Schuetzen rifle once or twice, then backed off from the idea figuring I'd be the only one with one of them in my parts and might (might) shoot it once or twice a year at my local range.

I'm thinking that during my research way back when, the long range Schuetzen sport was thriving in Europe.  This was probably 10 to 15 years ago, and probably closer to the 15 years.  

Joe

6/25/2014 5:00 PM  #5

There was a very active NMLRA schuetzen program in the mid 1990s, even had a Museum show, organized by Curt Johnson.  I had my Berg muzzleloader and tools at that show.    The European schuetzen sport was never really "long range", unless if 200-300 meters is long.  I do most of my schuetzen style shooting with a round ball rifle at 50 yards on the International target at the local range. Nice to have a forum where this can be discussed, the ASSRA forum occasionally has a flurry of interest in the muzzleloaders and often some good photos, usually when somebody is looking for an appropriate bullet, often a picket bullet.

6/25/2014 8:35 PM  #6

Isn't there a schuetzen shoot at Friendship in the fall?  I seem to remember Tom Schiffer talking about it.

Alan

"Align the sights properly on that part of the target required for your group to center in the target area and cause the hammer to fall without disturbing that alignment."  USAMTU Pistol Marksmanship guide.  The Army makes pistol shooting easy!

6/25/2014 9:39 PM  #7

Alan,
 Agg. DD at the Western National in Phoenix is listed as a Schuetzen Agg. I don't remember much about it, do you?
Michael Jay

6/26/2014 9:39 AM  #8

"The American Percussion Schuetzen Rifle" by Hamilton is full of great eye candy if you're interested. My copy comes off the shelf fairly often and is pretty entertaining. Copies show up on the used market, but prices are sometimes pretty wild. A little cautious Internet shopping can find somewhat decent prices. There were some amazing rifles produced all over the country. I think they were the pinnacle of muzzleloading offhand rifle development. The sport deserves to be carried on, but in this day of black guns and rapid fire shooting, the appeal doesn't exactly get much movie or TV time!

6/26/2014 10:26 AM  #9

Kermit-
I've heard the following said about ASSRA schuetzen, "There's only about 1,000 people doing it, and maybe only 100 who are competitive nationwide."  Add to this the uniqueness of the ML schuetzen rifle, the availability of originals and the exclusive nature of the components required to build a modern equivalent.  The rifles I've seen at Friendship had mostly .38 or .40 false muzzle bullet barrels
shooting grease groove bullets with a guide starter.  The 200 yard target is 12 inches with a 1 1/2 inch 25 ring.  Tough target!  I think the difficulty of the discipline keeps the average shooter from competing, but the rifles are cool.  I'll never forget the first time I saw a John Meunier rifle.

7/09/2014 1:46 PM  #10

i kep look at those weird looking full custom schtzens  are beautiful

10/12/2015 4:10 PM  #11

I would be happy to pay for someone's (Kermit) time if they would send me a scan of the photo of Edward Kettler's rifle shown in the book The American Percussion Schuetzen Rifle, by J. Hamilton. I own a Kettler schuetzen and would like to compare.

Board footera