MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2016 9:45 AM  #1

Sighter width

Greets...Log shoot Sat. and I have a .055 width front sight and need to figure out what that width I would need for a sighter at 60 yds.    I want for the sight to cover the vertical exactly at 60 yds. How wide do you think  this needs to be  4"  ? ?   I can't seem to have success with  circles.     I am thinking of a kinda upside down T shape ? ?  It is forecast for rain everyday this week until Sat.  so maybee I can't make it out to check on this.  I thought somewhere someone had some figures on this.

Last edited by crankshaft (6/02/2016 3:43 PM)

slacker

6/03/2016 7:51 AM  #2

Re: Sighter width

In the October 1945 issue of MuzzleBlasts a William E. Young had a short piece showing an upside down T target​ heused. He said nothing new about this target as Springfield arsenal has used this type target in accuracy test ofSpringfield rifles. Dick 

6/03/2016 7:53 AM  #3

Crankshaft: I have been through, trying to figure it out mathematically. And believe there are too many variables to make a mathematical equation truly accurate however, I would have to look it up or maybe: Colton will check in I think he has a pretty good explanation of it. However with differing light conditions differing eyesight for shooter styles of front sights and how the light refracts around them it will only get you close. The way I have done in the past you're going to need to find a friend preferably a fellow shooter who trust you very much, this being that you will need to have your rifle unloaded a block placed in a mechanism so it cannot possibly be fired as your friend who trust you very much, will be downrange with craft supplies paper scissors pushpins and staple gun. Let's say you were going to use a white sighter on a black background. I typically would put an oversized white sighter on a black background than have my friend take two pieces of black paper and progressively move them in giving you time to site at each one to find out when you have just a ghost line of white on each side of your site. As I've been running off at the mouth something else struck me, that Paul and I once tried along with a group of other shooters was once you find the proper with for your white square take a bright colored safe orange or bright red stripe and put immediately below it how far below may depend on your eyesight this is put there as you raise the rifle into the bottom of the site are you will see the colored stripe which I believe we were making about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wide as a warning bar that you're coming into the bottom your sighter and helps keep you from burying the front sight too far up into it.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

6/03/2016 10:48 PM  #4

Here is the basic method for calculation:
http://www.1728.org/angsize.htm
I picked this site at random rather than try to explain it all myself, but it would seem to give the gist of things.

You need to calculate the angular size of the front bead at the distance it is from your eye, then make a sighter of that size or larger.  One handy coincidence is that 1 minute of angle is approximately 1 inch at 100 yards, so 0.6" at sixty yards...

As others said above, the apparent diameter of the spotter will vary according to lighting conditions, etc., but an angular size calculation should set your minimum!

6/04/2016 7:51 AM  #5

Spotter size at 60 yards for a .055" wide front sight "should" be a simple geometry relationship.

Take one half of the front sight width (.0275") and divide it by the distance from your eye to the front sight(let's say 42") multiply that by the distance to the target in inches(60 yds. x 3 ft/yds x 12"/ft) and that number should be 1/2 of the width of the spotter you need. For this set of numbers it calculates out to a spotter that is 2.828" wide.

It should be a good place to start but it will need to be adjusted some I'm sure as we all see a little differently.

Robin's idea is probably the simplest and the most accurate if you can convince your buddies the gun's not loaded!!!

Last edited by cking (6/04/2016 7:59 AM)

6/06/2016 2:40 PM  #6

Carl,
That's even easier!  Now, if I could only get my calipers into the globe of the sight .

6/06/2016 4:56 PM  #7

If its a Lyman 17A with the inserts it should be simple otherwise if it won't come out perhaps a set of dividers could be slid down in the globe and used to get the width?

6/10/2016 5:15 AM  #8

remember if you use a diopter as  you change the size.  to  go smaller hole your spotter  will get smaller .
dag

7/22/2016 4:18 PM  #9

Been thinking about this some lately while making spotters, and I would like to submit a further simplification of Carl's approach.  Carl appropriately set up the calculation as a proportion, but used radius for bead and spotter size; I simply replaced radius with diameter, so that you don't have to divide bead size by 2 or multiply result by 2.

(bead_diameter / distance_from_bead_to_eye) * distance_to_target_in_inches = spotter_diameter

So, for the original question, for a chunk spotter at 60 yards with a .055" bead 42" from the shooters eye:
(.055/42) * 2160 = 2.83"  #same as calculated by Carl's method

For a table match spotter at 30 yards:
(.055/42) * 1080 = 1.41"

Also, for convenience, I'll throw in the values for distance to target at common ranges in inches:
60 yards = 2160"
30 yards = 1080"
50 yards = 1800"
25 yards =  900"

Again, this is just offered as an alternate, simplified method that may be useful to somebody.

Last edited by barton (7/22/2016 4:19 PM)

Board footera