MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2016 7:34 AM  #1

Those Troublesome Flyers - Solutions ?

I have been an offhand shooter for 20 + years and just started table shooting in the last couple of years.

I'very learned very quickly that there are a lot of things I didn't know about shooting off a rest with a black powder rifle and how much more critical ball weights, powder charges and patching thickness are to accuracy on a rest as compared to offhand shooting.

I read diligently all of the threads relating to shooting the shortest string and I narrowed down the weight range on the round balls from 1 grain to .3 grains, powder charges are weighed to +/- 0 grains and have gone to .023 cotton army duck wrapped around a .395 ball.

I'm still fighting those occasional string killing fliers. The barrel I'm shooting is a .400 bore, 1-48 twist with shallow square cut rifling. My front sight is the Lyman with a straight post.
The rear sight is a Merit peep.My sighter is a 1 5/8" light purple square on a lime green background.Sounds crazy I know but I can see it.

Today I'm going to try a thinner patch as I think the the .023 duck may not be filling in the corners of the groves and allowing some blow by because its so tightly woven. Patches show very distinct blackened patches following the rifling right out to the edge of the patch. The patch is not frayed or torn. It has been washed before using.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm very interested to hear your replies.

Carl

5/31/2016 6:20 PM  #2

Re: Those Troublesome Flyers - Solutions ?

Got to the bench this afternoon, a balmy 86 degrees and some serious humidity to go with it.

Well the thinner patch didn't work at all and the thicker (.023) patch was just as bad ? Shooting 40.0 grains of 3F Olde Enysford.

Decided to move the barrel support from the middle of the barrel to the end of the barrel and put 9 shots under a quarter with one more just outside. This business of barrel harmonics is truly a mystery to a novice bench shooter.It seems to move with changes in powder charges.

It looks like it's going to take quite a bit of bench time to fine tune this thing. NOT a bad thing though, I do like to shoot.

Carl

5/31/2016 6:55 PM  #3

I forgot to ask my question in my last post.

To fine tune the group should I leave my barrel rest point as is and change my powder charge up/ down by a couple of grains or leave the powder charge the same and move the support point a couple of inches at a time back toward the breech?

Thoughts?

Carl

5/31/2016 8:15 PM  #4

9 shots covered by a quarter?  Just by moving the rest point down to the end? Sounds like you're on to something.

I'm going to try that this weekend.

6/01/2016 5:30 AM  #5

My 2 cents worth, ditch the 3F Olde Eynsford while I have managed to get some great groups with it with a very tight ball and patch combination it can and will throw a flyer now and then. It seems to burn with lots of pressure and can burn a patch in a heart beat usually at just the wrong time. I really like the 2F Olde Eynsford this is some good stuff in my opinion and go up on powder most of the really good 40 cal shooters that I know are using 60 + grains of powder. You have to have an accurate consistent load or all else is wasted motion.

You didn't mention the barrel maker but on my .40 Rice barrel with very thin lands I use a .400 ball and the Army Duck canvas lubed with a mix of 8 parts water to one part Ballistol allowed to dry and wipe between shots carefully and consistently. It does take a good whack to get started but slides down the barrel very nicely.

You will need to find the sweat spot to rest the barrel and then I mark mine with some tape to keep it consistent. Bench technique is very important too!!!! Learn to place the rifle  in the same exact position every time and put your elbow and support hand in the same position and make sure that the butt of the rifle is on the same spot on your shoulder ever time. If it doesn't feel right STOP and start over make a mental check list, place the rifle on the bench, look at the spot for your elbow place it there, put the support hand in the same place, mount the rifle on your shoulder IN THE SAME PLACE. Then check the wind and light has any thing changed? If no wind flags the smoke from other people shooting can help you gage the wind. Don't forget sight picture and follow through!

A lot to think about but with practice it will become second nature and I'll bet that your offhand shooting will improve too!

Good Luck, Richard

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

6/01/2016 6:53 AM  #6

Carl,
After reading through your posts and the responses a few times I believe a lot of the issues that might be killing your groups have been covered. This topic interests all of us and we all attack it in different ways, which is a big part of the fun. I'll offer my own non-expert thoughts:
1.) Olde Eynsford is a good powder with a dedicated following among muzzleloading shooters. That said, there's probably a reason that I have observed what I believe to be a significant majority of serious target shooters are using Swiss powder....especially for competitions involving the use of a rest. It has become my choice over Goex because I get slightly better, more consistent groups. Your experience may differ, but that has been mine.
2.) Target design is incredibly critical. I also use a Lyman 17A Globe front sight with "post and dot" reticle. After trying a bunch of different designs, I settled on a round piece of brightly colored poster material on my spotter, on a contrasting background. It took a lot of experimenting with the size of the round "Spot" to get just the right relationship. With this design, the ideal sight picture is when the dot on the front sight is perfectly settled into the rear sight notch and there's a small, even "Halo" of that bright target spot just visible around it. I use the same target design for both Table and Chunk competition, but the size of the "Spot" changes.
3.) Re-read Carl's points about Bench technique. There's no question that my groups improve whenever I get into a period when I'm working on my Table/Chunk shooting (vs. offhand) simply because my Bench technique improves. That only happens however...if ( as Carl suggests...) you pay attention on every shot to do everything the same way.
4.) The size of the opening on that Meritt peep sight will also affect your ability to maintain a reproducible sight picture. When I started using a Lyman peep rear sight, I wound up with 4 different inserts to get the hole size I needed, and even that varies depending on the amount of available light. These days, I use an open rear sight, but I found early on that the notch in my rear sight was waayyyy to large for the dot on my front sight. I filled that notch in with J-B weld, let it dry overnight, and used a fins jeweler's file to cut Just enough of a notch to hold the dot without a lot of excess space around it.

I see I've gotten kinda wordy...hope some of this helps.
Enjoy the journey...!!!

6/01/2016 12:24 PM  #7

Thanks Richard and Don for your insight and suggestions. This is one of the great things about this muzzleloading target forum, individuals with lots of experience willingly helping us novices.

I definitely have some new ideas  to consider and implement and see how they will work for me.

I do have some Swiss Powder to try and I think I'll get a can of 2F Olde Enysford at Friendship next week. Will try bumping up my powder charge and really working on hold and follow through before Friendship. Plan to do some table shooting there on Monday the 13th.

Thanks,

Carl

6/01/2016 7:52 PM  #8

I also get tighter groups with Old Eynsford 2f than I do with the 3f. The O.E. 2f even gives me slightly better groups than the Swiss in my chunk gun, so far.

I have found that most of my fliers are caused by cut or blown patches. Are your patches looking good after the shot?

6/02/2016 6:50 AM  #9

The patches that I find are intact and show no signs of cuts or being burned through.

I'm using .023 cotton army duck and Mr. Flintlock for lube. The patches are moist but not soggy or dripping. I try to keep them as uniform as I can. I give the patch stips a couple of quick shots from a small sprayer and rub it around to even it out.

This idea of using 2F Olde Enysford in a .40 seems to be something worth pursuing. I've had 3 different folks telling me that changing from 3F to 2F powder tightened up their groups. I have some 2F Goex I can try but will get a can of 2F O.E. at Friendship for sure.

6/02/2016 6:45 PM  #10

Here again I just stating form my experience and your mileage may vary but I have yet to find a wet patch shoot as well as a dry patch. By this I mean one that has been soaked in a mix of water soluble oil and water then dried. I like ballistol and water some rifles like 6 parts of water to one part of Ballistol both of the Rice barrels seem to prefer more like 8 parts water to one part oil. Of course you have to wipe carefully between shots but if you want extreme accuracy that is something that you will have to do anyway. Teflon is still the best of the best as far as I can find but the oil and water mix is not very far behind.

Of course you will have to work all of this out for yourself and what the rifle prefers, OH What FUN!!!! It'll take a while to figure out all the little things for great accuracy consistently but I'll bet that the guys that are shooting really good scores have done their homework and spent considerable time burning powder.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Richard

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

6/04/2016 7:26 AM  #11

With all of the new ideas that have been tossed out, had to do a little table shooting yesterday.Welding work can wait one more day!!

Changed only one thing and that was powder. Went from 40.0 grains of 3F O.E. to 50.0 grains of 2F Goex and shrunk my 10 shots from 1.5" down to 1". Will go up 55 grains and try again and see if that helps. If it tightens up the group will try 60 grains.

The next change will be the patch lube. Will try the oil/water mix and see how that works out. Got to get out of that wet patch offhand shooting mentality I guess.

I'm 67 years old and have had cataracts taken off both eyes and lens implants put in. Still have some astigmatism to deal with so I don't think I'll ever be a one hole shooter but I just hope to be competitive.I do love shooting these old black powder guns.

Carl

6/04/2016 10:07 PM  #12

Carl I do believe those dreadful fliers are in all of of us.

Board footera