MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2014 12:38 AM  #1

Another New guy

I think we are all new, but I'm certainly the newest.  I live in california, and am mostly a pistol shooter.  I shoot at Phoenix every spring, and Friendship every fall, also at as many territorials as I can reach.  I understand pistol shooting, and have shot both offhand and bench rifle, but I have never even seen a table match or a chunk match.  Particularly if you are trying to encourage participation in these disciplines, I humbly suggest that you put a section into the forum that explains (and illustrates if appropriate) each of them.  If you agree, I'll volunteer to provide the pistol description, with emphasis on things like the difference between unlimited, traditional, and international matches, when you can use two hands (hint: you have to be as old as I suspect most of us are,) and other nuances of the rules.
Anyway, its good to be here.
Alan

"Align the sights properly on that part of the target required for your group to center in the target area and cause the hammer to fall without disturbing that alignment."  USAMTU Pistol Marksmanship guide.  The Army makes pistol shooting easy!

6/22/2014 12:36 PM  #2

Re: Another New guy

Hi Alan,
Glad to see you at this forum. FYI to everyone else Alan and I are friends and having said that, old guys using two hands in pistol should be my age and it should be experts and below! Most of you will find I like to give Alan a bad time but, you should know he is my pistol coach and he really knows his stuff and I am proud to call him friend.

Michael Jay

6/22/2014 2:57 PM  #3

Another Californian here, although I'm a recent convert from wet-stern Washington. I'm in Temecula. I'm interested in ML target shooting but have never seen anyone on this coast shoot chunk, table, slug gun, or RB bench. I'm still looking to find a muzzleloading club in these SoCal parts. When I do I hope to stir some curiosity about these other ML disciplines--and I'm particularly interested in table shooting. All my guns at this point are pretty much in either the primitive (read: flintlock) category or are beyond the weight limit for table shooting.

Although I'm a particularly bad pistol shot--one who enjoys air and rimfire silhouette--I'd enjoy learning about muzzleloading pistol shooting.

Good to see another new face. Welcome.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

6/22/2014 5:17 PM  #4

Hey Alan glad to have you on board.
Not a pistol shooter here but look forward to your post.
I like your suggestion on an explanation of each discipline for those who are not familiar with them . Might help get new people interested in shooting them. Good suggestion.

6/22/2014 5:29 PM  #5

Hey, Ken, if folks in the know produce explanations of various disciplines, can you post them as "stickies" at the top of the area it applies to? If not, maybe just a section on "rules of the games." I think it's right that explanations and especially with photos might spark interest.

6/22/2014 5:44 PM  #6

Sounds good to me. Robin what do think of Kermit's suggestion.

6/22/2014 9:15 PM  #7

Agree with Kermit on the idea of "stickies" in each board.  I'll work on a candidate fro the pistol section.

To Kermit - I don't know of any table or chunk going on in California (that's why I've never seen it,) but we have lots of round ball bench at the california state shoot in Sacramento in May each year.  Michael Jay and I will be on your case to get you there next year, and if you'll come and show us how, we'll have a table match for sure.

Alan

"Align the sights properly on that part of the target required for your group to center in the target area and cause the hammer to fall without disturbing that alignment."  USAMTU Pistol Marksmanship guide.  The Army makes pistol shooting easy!

6/23/2014 3:00 PM  #8

Gentlemen, although the idea intrigues me. I am wrapping my mind around how to do it. My initial reaction to is one of caution. I believe a general explanation of each discipline would be a asset to the site. However, I hope no one takes offense to this. It is not intended to be offensive and I am far from an expert in all the shooting disciplines. That being said, I think we will start with the following guide, we will refrain from advising people how to operate their firearm, they should receive personal instruction. Let's not be overly wordy and explaining specific matches inside a discipline in our discipline descriptions. The administrator and moderators. Of course will reserve the right to remove anything detrimental to the site. I do believe that we should yield to experience in individual disciplines on the same token, we do not need multiple experts with different opinions. We want to keep the site. Very friendly and helpful to one another, and particularly new shooters. Therefore, I will need volunteers for each of the disciplines who are learned and that discipline. To submit their version for edification. Once again, I hope no one finds this particularly offensive. I am just trying to ensure that we as a group put forth top-quality material. Any questions. I will be checking in

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

6/23/2014 8:57 PM  #9

I agree completely with the cautious approach, and with the responsibility of the admin and moderators to protect the board and the participants.  My suggestion/recommendation is that when a thread answers several questions and meets the admin approval, it be made "sticky" so that it won't get lost in the numerous other posts, and so that the questions won't have to be answered again and again.  Some of those threads may be a single post by an acknowledged "expert," others may have several posts and participants.  I agree that if a thread reflects a disagreement or a collection of different opinions, it is not a candidate for "stickiness."

I think the thread on the table forum that started as a request for pictures is a good example of a thread with multiple participants that will provide a useful summary of table shooting.

At the risk of self-certifying myself as an "expert," I submit that my summary of pistol rules and matches is also a candidate for "stickiness."  My only justification for "expertness with pistol" is that I am a member of the NMLRA Pistol committee, and am (barely) a High Master class competitor. 

6/23/2014 10:20 PM  #10

I'm thinking all we need is a description of rules and procedures, maybe some commonly used equipment, but NO loading data and such. It's kind of like explaining the rules of cricket, but not suggesting where to buy your whites or how to tie your shoes.

6/24/2014 5:54 AM  #11

I believe that Kemrit has a direction we need to go. I have pined Allen's dissertation on pistols in the pistol forum. I have also closed it, so that no replies can be made to that post. We will see how this works. I think pinning it is the same thing. You guys are talking about being sticky. I pray your patience as I try to figure out how to do different things with the forums. That being said I'm going to need a few volunteers. I think I will take a stab at the table game, and over the log. This means that I will need help with the other forums as I do not even propose to be real knowledgeable on some of the other disciplines, when a service range officer on other lines. I have to do a little study and keep shoot programs and rules in my hip pocket.

Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

6/24/2014 7:12 AM  #12

Would this help if we posted the following link in a sticky at the top;

http://nmlra.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/web_RangeRuleBook5-10.pdf

Then in the forum where we can post our club's up coming shoots, if there are any variations to the NMLRA rules/regs, the "poster" could give a beif discription of that shoot's/match rules, since there may be variations from the NMLRA rules/regs?

Just a thought.

I'm here to help where I can, and learn as well.  I'm just a private message away if I can be of any service to this forum.  I work during the day, and check in here at night (usually my first stop). 

Joe

6/24/2014 10:14 AM  #13

Candle Snuffer
Could you do something on Cross Sticks

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

6/24/2014 10:39 AM  #14

MMprwarner wrote:

I ....I think pinning it is the same thing. You guys are talking about being sticky......
I pray your patience as I try to figure out how to do different things with the forums.......

.....I have to do a little study and keep shoot programs and rules in my hip pocket......

I agree that pinning and sticky are the same.

If we didn't have lots of patience, we'd be collectors of automatic plastic guns with 30 rd magazines - take all the time you need.

When I was taught to range officer, I was told never to pretend you have all of the rules memorized, just make it plain that you know how to read the copy of the rules in your pocket. 

I really enjoy this forum and appreciate the effort put into it.

Alan

6/24/2014 1:05 PM  #15

MMprwarner wrote:

Candle Snuffer
Could you do something on Cross Sticks

I would be more then happy to.  

Joe

Board footera