MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2016 8:05 AM  #1

False muzzle

I have a question on "False Muzzle" I thought that we had discussed this sometime in the past but could not find anything on it? At any rate we have a fellow that is shooting with a guide that he made that fits over the muzzle this is to hold the patch and center up the ball before he starts it. There is  no rifling in the guide and he is not as steady as he used to be. This is OK with me but a couple people have  questioned the used of this device. To me a false muzzle is a piece of the barrel cut off with pins installed for alignment and then rifled with the barrel the false muzzle is then relieved at the muzzle to make starting the ball and patch engrave easier and also protects the muzzle of the rifle. I looked in the NMLRA rules and could not find a definition of a False Muzzle maybe I missed it? Any thoughts?

Richard

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

4/26/2016 1:05 PM  #2

Re: False muzzle

Rich,
The issue and device you are describing has been used and put away, by myself. I have such a device that I made for chunk shooting. I was inspected by the range officer and told it constituted a false muzzle, modified somewhat but a false muzzle all the same. It has sat on my bench for many moons. I'll send some pics to Robin to post to be certain we're talking about the same thing.
Mark

4/26/2016 1:07 PM  #3

Richard
I read your post multiple times, to ensure that I had a complete understanding of the question. I have contacted some other table shooters, one of which has a similar device and it was ruled out another competition to be inappropriate. I also contacted the director of competition for the national muzzle loading rifle association to get his opinion and he also without being coached, informed me that this would indeed be considered a false muzzle therefore in my opinion for what it's worth these devices would not be allowed that shoots that I would be promoting.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

4/26/2016 1:34 PM  #4

Thanks guys that is what I need to know.
Eichard

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

Board footera