MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2016 9:28 PM  #1

Swabbing Between Shots and Relevance to Accuracy

So there has been a thread already about swabbing between shots but there was a lot of talk on doing so for safety reasons and some question on accuracy. I'm not going to harp on the safety reasons anymore. But! I have some interesting targets to show off that speak to wether or not swabbing between shots affects accuracy. Now granted this is just data collected from pistol shooting. And only four targets. But still I feel the shooting is pretty constant. Especially for being shot one handed standing unsupported.

I fired a practice or warm up target first. Then a 25 yard slow fire, followed by a 25 yard limited time fire, and lastly the 50 yard slow fire. There was no warm up or sight in target prior to the 50 yard slow fire. I just clicked up to my 50 yard settings and shot. I shot this as a cap lock agg using my Yazel .36 cal inline pistol. The charge was 17 grains of 3Fg Goex followed by a walmart brand mattress ticking at .020'' thick and a .350 cast round ball (Lee mold). Iron sights of course and I use a Merritt Optical Attachment eye piece. I cleaned the bore upon uncasing the gun, then popped three caps. I did not fire any fouling shots. I just started loading and shooting. I did not swab to clean the bore until the 17th shot. And I only used one patch that I popped into my mouth to dampen it with saliva. I pushed the patch down and pulled it back up and out twice. No more. I only swabbed because it was getting difficult to seat the ball smoothly. I did not swab again until I was finished. So you judge now. Enjoy!

"The first step in finding your game is getting some conviction. If you don’t have conviction your confidence can be corroded."  -  From The Movie "Seven Days In Utopia".

3/14/2016 11:41 AM  #2

Re: Swabbing Between Shots and Relevance to Accuracy

I always felt that wiping between shots did nothing for accuracy in any of my pistol test.
GREAT shooting bu the way .

PRP

11/20/2018 5:00 PM  #3

Re: Swabbing Between Shots and Relevance to Accuracy

Hi All, For shooting targets or what ever I always tried to keep the barrel in what I thought was the same condition from shot to shot , so since the barrel was clean at the first shot I would load the gun then then run a clean patch down the barrel before touching her of  , I must add that I use 3f powder 70 grains which left the barrel very clean after each shot and that I did not have any trouble loading any shot after the first shot and only cleaned completely  at the end of the day .. my scores mostly ensured a podium finish unless i did something pretty stupid  ,like a shot on the wrong target ... Rob

Board footera