MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2016 8:55 AM  #1

Developing a load

Many questions here so I thought I would open a new thread so I didn't wreck another one.

When you have either a new rifle or are trying a new patch, ball, or lube how do you approach testing? At the club I belong to the min. shooting distance is 50 yards so all testing will be done at that distance.

How do you determine a powder charge to start from and when do you abandon it and move upwards? Do you go up in powder charge by 5 grains or? Anyone using a chronograph when testing? 

My test rifle is a Lyman GPR with their aperture rear sight and globe front.

Longone

3/05/2016 10:32 AM  #2

Re: Developing a load

What caliber?

"The first step in finding your game is getting some conviction. If you don’t have conviction your confidence can be corroded."  -  From The Movie "Seven Days In Utopia".

3/05/2016 10:51 AM  #3

3/05/2016 12:36 PM  #4

I'd start at 50 grains of 3Fg Goex (or Swiss or what ever you got) and try every 5 grains going up. Might start at 45 grains. Use a .018 to .022 patch and a .490 ball. Bench it and do 5 shots minimum or more for group. I like 7 to 10 shots. More data is easier to read what's happening. Use soapy water for a patch lube.

Fire a fouling shot first then swab between shots lightly just remove the heavy fouling. Twice down and back ought to do it. Use a damp patch.

Once you start hitting 75-80 grains plus you're in hunting load territory. This doesn't mean it's not good for target. Your gun may like a hotter load instead of a lighter load. Trials will tell.

Once you're done switch to a thinner patch .010 or .012 and use a .495. Repeat above.

Then if you're not satisfied I suppose you could try a thin patch and a .500 ball.

Save your targets, and label them for record keeping and comparison. Measure groups.

Forget patch lube choice until you've got a good load. The. Fool with patch lube. Patch line I don't feel will increase or decrease accuracy but it will effect fouling. Swabbing between shots would probably take care of this during testing.

Consistency breads accuracy so load the same way ever time. Same pressure to seat the ball. Same strokes to swab the bore. Same hold. Same finger position on the trigger. Hold a fine sight picture. Can't have room for error.

You could use a powder measure but I like pre weighing charges and keeping them in plastic vials. Find two good loads 5 grains apart and try weighing in between charges. This is fine tuning the load. You may not see a big difference but you might at 100 yards.

"The first step in finding your game is getting some conviction. If you don’t have conviction your confidence can be corroded."  -  From The Movie "Seven Days In Utopia".

3/05/2016 1:36 PM  #5

I've got 3F Old Eynsford so I'll give that a go. Thanks for taking the time to reply.Do you have a ratio of soap to water? Dawn I suspect is OK?

Longone

3/05/2016 1:55 PM  #6

Longone,
I shoot a couple of .50's and have found 55 grs of FFFg with a .495 ball and .015 patch works real well. Every rifle is a little different so you will just have to experiment. I personally like pre lubed Ox Yoke patches but use Mr Flintlock or Hoppes for range cleaning. At home I use plain warm water, WD 40 to remove water residue and then Mobil One synthetic oil.
Mark

3/05/2016 2:05 PM  #7

While I was looking for a bottle to make some soap/ water solution I came across a couple of bottles of case lube from my old centerfire days. Ingredients are Lanolin and alcohol. Made me wonder if that would work as a patch lube or if the lanolin would cause a problem after it is ignited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin
Longone

Last edited by Longone (3/05/2016 2:14 PM)

3/05/2016 2:14 PM  #8

Dawn blue dish soap. Throw some in a bottle. Enough to where the water is blue, slick to the touch but not greasy from being too soapy. I don't measure this stuff out. I shoot. I won the pistol nationals last year both NRA and NMLRA. It's not a critical thing.

3/05/2016 2:19 PM  #9

OK, I'll make some up. Thanks for all the help, I'll leave you guys alone now.

longone

3/10/2016 6:44 AM  #10

How's the testing coming?

3/10/2016 7:26 AM  #11

I started with 50 grs. of Olde Eynsford FFF with marginal results, this group was shot with 60 grs. of OE FFF. I shot the four and decieded not to wreck it with the fifth, call me chicken!!!! I used the yellow linen patch material I recently purchased with my cast round balls. Lube was as recommended Dawn and water (not measured) one thing I did notice was a build up of crud where the powder column/ ball was seated. I need to get a thicker or more agressive cleaning patch material (or slightly larger dia. jag) to remove this. I did find myself short stroking this portion of the barrel to keep the fouling under control. I used a damp patch  and then a dry patch between shots, when applying the lube I was keeping track of how many drops I applied to keep the patches equally lubed, 7 drops worked pretty well. I did shoot another target where the wind was picking up and letting off, the group measured 1" tall and 3.5" wide for 9 shots. The targets were @ 50 yards.  Because the day was so nice yesterday (82*) there was a huge crowd at the range so I helped a service rifle shooter (91 years old) with setting up his scope and getting it dialed in. I never put anything down range.

A lot of information was learned on Tues. including keeping the fouling under control as well as keeping things as consistant as possible. I also found out that my injured right shoulder was not real happy with a day of 50 cal. shooting so maybe a 36 or 40 is in my future.

Longone

Last edited by Longone (3/10/2016 7:43 AM)

3/10/2016 7:55 AM  #12

#1&2 were shot witha thinner patch, the balance were shot with the yellow linen.

Longone

Last edited by Longone (3/10/2016 7:56 AM)

3/10/2016 8:35 AM  #13

Longone,
What distance were you shooting st and was it from a rest?
Mark

3/10/2016 9:54 AM  #14

All targets were shot at 50 yards, and yes, with my shoulder from a rest.
Thinking about having a 36 cal ? barrel made for my T/C Hawkin so I don't feel it for a week afterwards. 
Longone

3/10/2016 10:35 AM  #15

If you can find one, Green Mountain made a drop in .40 that shoot great with little or no recoil. I'very had good luck with one on my Hunter clas rifle.
Mark

3/10/2016 11:10 AM  #16

That's good to know as some of the alternatives are a bit pricey.

Longone

3/10/2016 7:29 PM  #17

looking good! 

Board footera