MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2016 8:52 AM  #1

Fort Osage 2-6-2016

We had a club match Saturday and the weather was about as good as it can get here in the Midwest lots of sunshine, very light breeze at times and the temperature made it up in to the lower 50's in the afternoon. But we only had five shooters too nice of a day to shoot? I know that a couple of guys had plans made and couldn't make the match and another was under the weather maybe next time we'll get some more shooters?
Richard B.              1.906
Jerald H.                 2.521
Jim T.                     6.714
Mary B.                  10.045
Jack R.                   11.753

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

2/08/2016 2:39 PM  #2

Re: Fort Osage 2-6-2016

Truly fantastic shooting Richard and Jerald ! ! !

You fellows literally shot a spider for every shot !  You gentlemen must have nerves of steel and eyes like eagles and some excellent, finely tuned rifles.

Please share with the rest of us some information about your rifles and loads.I know each and every gun has that special combination that suits it best but it's always interesting to hear what other shooters are doing.

The ultimate component is the person pulling the trigger.

Again congratulations on an excellent set of targets.

Carl

2/08/2016 7:41 PM  #3

We didn't kill every spider but we did work them over pretty good. I'm always trying to get people to talk more about their loads and then I'm one of the worse about doing it just never think about it.

But anyway the rifle that I'm shooting is a new one that I built this Winter for table matches and I hoped that it would fill in for a Light Bench match also might also make for a minni chunk gun if I ever get to one of those matches. It has a Rice one inch barrel 42 inches long .45 cal. I used one of the new mule ear side locks that L & R makes it weighs right at 11 pounds. .451 ball with Army Duck patching from Big Duck Canvas lubed with a mix of 1/8 Ballistol and water and shot dry I wipe between every shot. I'm still in the process of working up a load but I do think that it is starting to preform very well maybe just a little more tweaking and it'll be where I want. I have been shooting around 75 grains of 2 FF  Olde Eynsford and 60 grains of 3 FFF Olde Eynsford at 50 yards I can't tell which one is the best and hope to get out to 100 yards one of these days when the weather gets better. I was shooting the 60 grains of 3FFF O. E. load last Saturday. And I keep adjusting my spotter target but I feel that I'm almost there!

I'm not sure what Jerald was shooting for a load but I do know that he is also shooting a Rice .45 barrel with a .451 ball the same patching but I think that he is using a dry patch lubed with Castor oil and alcohol about a 1 to 5 mix? I think that he is shooting 2FF Schuetzen or Grafs powder not sure about the charge.

RB

2/08/2016 10:11 PM  #4

Excellent !

Thanks for sharing the info on what your shooting. A friend of mine uses a 45 for a table gun and also uses a .451 ball and it shoots very well also.
Must be a good combination.

I've been trying some different spotter configurations and a medium green square on a yellow background seems to be promising. I shoot a rear peep and a post front.

Carl

2/09/2016 1:18 AM  #5

Well Richard, looks like I'd better get to practicing if I want to come over there and win a quarter or two! Throw Dwayne in that group and me and David will have a hard time! Congratulations to you all for some mighty fine shooting!!

Off tomorrow for my Catherization so will get ahold of you later in the week!

Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

2/09/2016 1:45 AM  #6

Congratulations Richard, A 10 shot string under 2 inches is something to really be proud of.  Can't wait to see what you can do when really get going ;-)

Parkawood -

2/09/2016 6:05 AM  #7

Thanks guys! I forgot to talk about my sights and targets but I was using a peep rear and a bead front that I enlarged with a drop of J B Weld and then rounded up with a small file. I was using a round white center with on a 6 inch black round bull. I keep adjusting the white center and last Saturday it was OK but I feel that I can reduce it a bit more. we had just about perfect light for me anyway and I had plenty of white showing around the bead. I first thought that a lot of white center was best but as I continue to shoot this sport I find that lesser is better, maybe? I think that a lot of that depends of the available light and how well you are seeing that particular day. It would be great to have the eyes of a twenty year old again!

RB

Board footera