MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2016 9:22 AM  #1

All target shooters. No matter your discipline

I  had an opportunity yesterday evening to speak with the head of the rifle committee for the national muzzleloading rifle Association. One of the common things we agreed on was that we need to have the Association. Swing back a bit towards its roots. I don't want to offend anybody, and I do like shooting the primitive style disciplines and those folks have done a very good job of building themselves. We as target shooters may be slacking a little in promoting ourselves and I believe one of the ways that we can promote ourselves more effectively is for those of us that are so gifted to try to write at least a short article on our personal particular discipline of interest and submit it to the muzzle blast. Yes it is true, not all submitted articles will be printed. Sometimes it may take a group of two or three to effectively write a good article more articles we can get in our magazine. I believe the more people we can draw into target shooting. I also think that we should encourage the muzzle blast editor to put more target shooting articles and target shooting covers on the magazine. Other ways to do this might be to try to advertise our local shoots a little more aggressively. I know that my club does not do nearly as good a job of this, as they could henceforth I will do everything I can to change that. I hope this puts some of you to thinking if you don't think you're a writer try to put some thoughts together and get with a friend that may have that talent and see if he can help you out. I do it all the time. By the way, thanks Mark. At any rate, I'm just hoping to plant a few seeds here so we can all have a good time and good spirited competition. Thank you

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

1/28/2016 10:47 AM  #2

Re: All target shooters. No matter your discipline

I'm in. I'll get something together and run it up your flag pole. Busier than heck right now but will do it ASAP.
Mark

1/29/2016 7:25 AM  #3

I think that you are right that there just isn't enough said about target shooting. I remember that when I first started muzzle loading some 45 years ago that there was a lot of discussion of target matches and the club that I first joined was all paper matches and there was some serious competition there! You had to work your rear end off to win a match and felt good to place in an agg. Now it's more about swinging targets and novelty matches where everybody wins? Not that there is anything wrong with that but it sure has taken the competition out of shooting I think. We are slowly getting a small core group of people that are wanting to shoot better and I think that the Table Matches have helped that.

One thing that I would like to see mentioned is the loads used, powder type and the amount, patching and lube, ball size, barrel make and twist, sights? All of this stuff is very interesting to me and it gives someone new wanting to try the sport a chance to see what other people are using. What the winners are doing and what the rest of the people are doing hopefully maybe it would give them a jump start to better shooting?

Just a few thoughts.

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

2/22/2016 8:34 PM  #4

I'd like to see more target shooting articles in the muzzle blasts for sure! But - for example with pistol - the number of competitors is severely lower than it has been and a big issue is no new shooters/members coming into this fine sport. I'm sure other disciplines see this also. I feel the muzzle blasts magazine should offer more to target shooters but we need to make a serious effort in promoting to sport locally.  Or else it simply will not survive. My friends have been doing the muzzleloader sport(s) for years. I've only just begun. I'd like to have the time invested in this one day as much as some of you have over the years.

I have only been shooting pistol for  2.5 years but rose to NRA and NMLRA National Champion in pistol both in 2015. If interested I could share some of the things that helped me succeed so much so quickly but to be fair I learned what I know from many others and their words should be heard just as much if not more than mine.

"The first step in finding your game is getting some conviction. If you don’t have conviction your confidence can be corroded."  -  From The Movie "Seven Days In Utopia".

Board footera