MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2016 5:36 AM  #1

I'm In..!!

OK, here we go...
My registration is in the mail for the Alvin C York Memorial shoot. I have never shot Chunk, but with the most excellent advice and assistance from Robin (Thank you once again...) I believe I can at least put on a good show...and most importantly have some fun.
In the coming weeks...I'll very likely be asking some pertinent questions as I try to turn a 50 caliber T/C "Hawken" style Flintlock (w/ a 32" Green Mountain RB barrel on it) into a field expedient Chunk Gun.
The barrel has a Lyman 17 Globe front sight with "post and dot" reticle installed.
Sooo...yesterday I fabricated a shader for my open rear sight out of a piece of white, thin walled, Sch. 20 PVC.
First question that comes up is whether it will function better if it is painted a flat black..inside..?? Outside..??
Thanks to everyone in advance... and now, let's get started.

1/24/2016 6:34 AM  #2

Re: I'm In..!!

Don
It was great talking to you the other night. Yes painting inside of your shader flat black will help a bunch. Painting the outside of it is suggested just because it looks cool

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

1/24/2016 2:16 PM  #3

This will also be my first time at the York shoot. I just finished a wooden shade, made from a scrap piece of wood from the plank I cut the stock from for my chunk gun.  It fits really well. I may not even need to tie it down when I shoot.

I'm ready for this weather to warm up a little here, so I can work up my best load in my new rifle. The other day, I experimented with different colored paper for my spotter target. Black on bright green worked well in bright sunlight for me.

1/25/2016 10:13 AM  #4

My understanding is a coil spring lock isn't eligible for chunk?  Has to be a V spring ?

slacker

1/25/2016 1:17 PM  #5

Slacker,
Never heard such a thing. There are usually some shooters using TC's and the like. They have coil springs.
Mark

1/25/2016 7:57 PM  #6

There's only one Chunk gun shoot in the country that I know of that does not allow Coil Springs currently. That I believe is the bevel brothers shoot. We have had many coil spring guns at the York at friendship and local club shoots in the Midwest.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

1/26/2016 10:42 AM  #7

The Iowa Black Powder Federation Chunk Gun Shoot does not allow coil springs .."Traditional guns"  if memory serves.

slacker

1/26/2016 10:54 AM  #8

I think if someone does some research there were coil spring locks made very early on. They weren't in great abundance and they probably weren't very reliable, but there were some. I guess we need to come up with a finite definition of "traditional". I personally think style, side hammer, mule ear, under hammer etc is more important than what propels the hammer.
Mark

1/26/2016 7:55 PM  #9

They do allow use of coil spring locks for kids and 1st timers..

slacker

Board footera