MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2016 3:08 PM  #1

Mid Winter Table Shoot

Everybody,
Don't forget that we will be shooting at Friendship tomorrow (1/9), regardless of the weather. Tables will open at 9:30. There will be chili cooking and other sweets to salivate over. Come on down!!!!
Mark

1/08/2016 9:53 PM  #2

Re: Mid Winter Table Shoot

Got 3 from Kentucky coming.
Bo, Tony & Carl

1/09/2016 5:18 PM  #3

Nice photos on facebook.

Parkawood -

1/10/2016 9:09 AM  #4

Any string measures? Inquiring minds like to know?

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

1/10/2016 10:54 AM  #5

Who put up pics and where? Can't find them.
Mark

1/11/2016 1:05 PM  #6

I would like to thank everyone who planned and helped with the Mid Winter Table shoot.The match went really well.We were done before 12:30.The weather was as close to perfect as you could hope for in January.The chili hit the spot along with the pastries and candies.I didn't shoot as well as I wanted but that's always the case.I honestly don't know where you could go to find a nicer group of guys.I hope I can attend the next one.

If you give up on the process,you are giving up on the results.

1/11/2016 1:59 PM  #7

I also enjoyed the day, from the camaraderie the shooting and the chili, which I tasted all the way home. Agree, couldn'have been a much better way to spend a mid winter day.
Mark

1/12/2016 7:06 AM  #8

I had a good time. Perfect weather!
I would love to see the scores posted.

1/13/2016 8:17 PM  #9

I saw the pics on fb. Really nice!

1/13/2016 9:04 PM  #10

Pictures were nice! I would also like to see the scores posted with how many shots (6 or 10) and maybe a rundown on some of the equipment the guy's were using. Looked like a great day!

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

1/13/2016 9:59 PM  #11

Big John,

I was at the shoot Saturday, one of the Kentucky boys and it was a nice day and a great bunch of shooters. Hats off to Robin Warner for putting together a great shoot.

The shoot was a 10 shot match. I  shot a 5.657" string.                                     

As for equipment I shoot a .40 cal -  15/16" x 38" - 1 in 48 twist Wayne Jenkins barrel,  Chamber's Left Hand Percussion  Lock, Davis Set Triggers and an Ash Half Stock. The gun weighs 9.7   pounds.   

I shoot a .395 round ball, .023 denim patch and 27.5 grains of 3F Olde Eynseford Black Powder.

Still hunting for that magical  combination that will shoot spiders all the time.

Carl King

1/14/2016 3:02 AM  #12

Thanks Carl!
That's the kind of report I like to see!
My best 10 shot string so far has been in the high 4" group. I started out shooting a lot early last year but my shooting got pushed to the wayside by several things. A heart problem for one, in-laws health troubles and now starting to build a new "shouse" to get away from steps! I have a lot of other excuses also! hahaha
Richard over on the west side of me (near Kansas City) has started a monthly shoot but I didn't get over there but a couple of times.
I held 3 shoots down at my club range and with the help of David and Richard they went well. We just couldn't get much participation from shooters. It was always the same 4/5 people but we had fun!
Hopefully, just hopefully I can work up a load that will be competitive but there are some good shooters around here!
Thanks for the equipment run down. Always nice to know what others are using and trying.
Is that 27.5 grain load that light? Most all the guys are above the 75 grn. and some near 160grns.
My trouble is getting a set of sights to be consistent with. I've been string them vertically and I think that has to do with not seeing my spotter well. Still a work in progress!
Sorry to get so carried away!!

Big John

Will Rogers

1/14/2016 8:15 AM  #13

Whose page are the pics posted on?
Mark

1/14/2016 8:33 AM  #14

Big John,

Have the same attendance problems at a club down in Kentucky where I shoot, 4-6 shooters most of the time. There seems to be a lot more interest in Indiana and Ohio.

The powder charge is a starting point but out of the 10 shots last Saturday there were 2 shots that measured slightly over 1" and I still had a total string of 5.657" so the other 8 were pretty tight.  The chunk gun shooters that shoot table do use some heavy loads I know but I think with a 1 in 48" twist barrel I don't need a really heavy load.

I shoot a peep sight on the rear with a straight front post. Have changed my sighter to a small green square on a yellow back ground and it seemed to have worked well last Saturday.

1/14/2016 10:34 AM  #15

smokinbuck wrote:

Whose page are the pics posted on?
Mark

Mark,

I saw them on the NMLRA Facebook page.

Tony

1/14/2016 10:37 AM  #16

Big John,

I was another of the Kentucky Boys,

I shot a 5.792
I shoot a .40 flint with a Green Mountain barrel, .395 ball, .18 ticking and 55 grains of fff Goex

Tony

1/14/2016 3:06 PM  #17

" I saw them on the NMLRA Facebook page."
That's where I was looking at them also. Looks like a bunch of good time guy's!!

Averaging .579" per shot is holding them in there pretty good! You Kaintuck boys have your sights set! I think Carl said he had a .565" average?
I have been shooting two different rifles.
First one is a modern under hammer in .54 cal.. I was shooting 85 grns. 3F Goex with .535 ball and .21 canvas patch in a Ed Rahyl barrel. New gun so it hasn't shot many shots thru it yet.
Second rifle is an old style under hammer from Deer Creek in .45 cal. using 55grns 3F Goex, .490 ball and .21 canvas patch. I have a peep sight temporarily mounted on this rifle. It is also a new gun and not had many shots thru it.
I think the peep sight will do well once I get them figured out.
Gerald, Richard and Dewayne are stepping things up on the west side!!

Will Rogers

1/17/2016 2:10 PM  #18

Robin, there any chance of posting the winning scores from last week?
I'd like to have something to beat when this snow goes off and the temps rise above 8º like it was this morning.

Big John

Will Rogers

1/18/2016 5:15 PM  #19

Ladies and gentlemen
After the midwinter table shoot I began to do a lot of soul-searching. There were some mistakes made in tabulating the scores these mistakes belong solely to me, and for that I apologize. Now with that being said, we did have technical problems with the computer and had to use another one which was not quite set up to do what we wanted it to do so we had to improvise and do the best we could in the translation from one computer to another. There were some scoring errors made. If you will look in the Shoot Results section of the message board, you will find the scores as they are correct.

I want you to read the following and you know who you are. This is not necessarily directed at the masses (therefore the masses should not take offense to the following) as much it is against my grain to do it in this fashion. Yet it must be. I know that many of you truly appreciate having the shoots put on and being able to participate. However, there are a few who are so dedicated to winning that it has nearly taken the fun out of it for me. And that's where the soul-searching begins. Just about 72 hours after the last shoot was over, I received a call from a person who was not even on the grounds that had already heard that an individual immediately left our shoot and went down to another and begin to complain to other shooters. This shooter had told me many times. Don't worry about these things happen. It's all right. Well I guess he was worried about it, and it was not all right. In order that this may be avoided in the future, the following steps will be taken. The scorekeeping team will be removed to a place of privacy (away from the fun) were shooter inquiries will not hinder their efforts. After the scores are carefully tabulated. There will be a 15 minute protest time allotment. At the end of this protest time any prizes or payouts will be made. It was always my intent to make shooting fun following the words of wisdom given us by Merrill Deer "Don't let the shooting, get in the way of having fun."  Once again, speaking to the few and not the masses. Those who do not like the way the shoots are being run, are more than welcome to call me. Private message me or email me and I will be glad to let you run the next shoot, there's more to it than you think.. I feel better now.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

1/19/2016 11:32 AM  #20

Robin,
Just wanted to let you know that I for one had a great time and  appreciate all the hard work and effort that you put into this and all the shoots you run!
For me it's more about the fun and burning powder!

Tony

1/19/2016 12:16 PM  #21

I 2nd Tony's comments.
Mark

1/19/2016 9:37 PM  #22

Robin,

Glad to see you were able to get your computer issues worked out and data back in hand.

I think we all need to remember that in this electronic age little gremlins do pop up occasionally and as hard as we try to avoid them they happen and we just need to accept them and go on.

Was really happy to see the Kentucky boys make a good showing and holding down the middle of the pack.
We have a good time shooting, we enjoy the laughs and friendly jabs about how we are all shooting and go home talking about the good time we had.

I've been involved in a lot of shoots over many years and almost always the scoring folks are always away from the action so that they can do their jobs unencumbered by outside influences and after the final scores have been posted there has been a 15-20 minute protest time to make score adjustments if needed. I would think that all of us would fully support you in your efforts to make the shoots go more smoothly.

It takes a lot of time and effort both before and during a shoot to have a good event and I truly appreciate all you and those who help you do on our behalf so that we can have a great time shooting. Thank you.

I'm truly looking forward to 2016 and if there is anything I can do to help, please do not hesitate to ask.

The Kentucky's Corps of Longriflemen Governing Board met this past Saturday and set their 2016 Calendar. The Wayne Jenkins Memorial Table Shoot will be on June 25 at Morehead, KY . It will be a 6 shot match and tables will open at 10:00am. I will get a map and shoot fee to you later. Also on Sunday, June 26 the Kentucky Long Rifles will hold a 10 shot match table shoot at the same range starting at 10:00 am. Ken Lutes and crew are again shooting on the 4 th Sunday of each month starting in April and going through September. Come shoot on Saturday, spend the night and shoot some more on Sunday.

Carl

1/19/2016 11:09 PM  #23

cking wrote:

I've been involved in a lot of shoots over many years and almost always the scoring folks are always away from the action so that they can do their jobs unencumbered by outside influences and after the final scores have been posted there has been a 15-20 minute protest time to make score adjustments if needed. I would think that all of us would fully support you in your efforts to make the shoots go more smoothly.

Robin ...
I agree with Carl! I also have been involved in numerous shoots. Muzzleloading or .22 matches or shotgun shoots, they are all the same. There seems to be a few in each venue that want to stir things up. They will eventually stir their way out when they find out everyone else is having a fun time but them.
We had a .22 match benched at 60 yrds. closest to the X. The girls scoring would let them watch them score but they couldn't comment until the targets were recorded and then we would hand them all back so the shooters could see how they shot. 40 shooters shooting 10 cards on a Friday night was lots of scoring! Yes there was mistakes once in awhile but 99.99% of the time they were right on!  We paid (meat) each round and  then the short string (3 places). This quickly elevated itself from good .22's to expensive .22's! They quickly found out they couldn't but wins!
You also know that good help is hard to come by!
Keep up your good work and things will be alright.
There are a couple of us that would like to come and have some fun back in your direction. Maybe 2016 will see this happen.
Big John

Will Rogers

Board footera