MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2014 8:29 PM  #1

Sights

Just curious as the older we get how many are using bead,pin head sights or post sights. I am using wide post and struggling more everyday .  Thinking of going back and trying beads again. That's one thing I really enjoy about the table matches with peeps I an actually see a good sight picture again.

6/04/2014 8:51 PM  #2

Re: Sights

I'm still using the blade, but my rear sight notch has gotten a bit wider over the years.

Joe

6/04/2014 9:30 PM  #3

For table shooting I am using post and bead front with peep rear exclusivley. Why give up more than age to the youngsters!! Log shooting has about got me whipped. The ground seems to get farther away each year.
Mark

6/25/2014 5:19 PM  #4

Yesterday I dovetailed and mounted a small globe front with a fine pinhead.  Today hit the range and did some sighting to determine the best location of the rear sight- at least six inches from breech and got the magic spot.  Here's my problem- reading the rulebook I see "fixed-open" only.  My bar strap sight is screw mounted and elevation adjusted by single screw to barrel, and has windage by chasing the sight block then locking down.  Once centered the rear sight is basically "fixed."  Is this allowed?

6/25/2014 8:26 PM  #5

Technically your rear sight would not be found legal on many Rangers. However it would be legal in some places could you upload some picturesso we see what you got we might be able to help you

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

6/25/2014 9:49 PM  #6

James,
Which rulebook and what section? Just curious.
Michael Jay

6/26/2014 6:58 AM  #7

NMLRA rule book

5420SIGHTS will be open fixed, as per rules #5010 and #5020

SIGHTS
5010–OPEN FRONT SIGHT–May be a blade, pin-head, post or barleycorn. The
match program will state if it can be shaded or not. A globe-style front sight with
a post blade is considered a open front sight with a sun shade.

5020OPEN REAR SIGHT–All rear open sights must be at least six inches
forward of the breech end of the barrel. They must have a U, V, or rectangular
opening, as wide at the top as any part of the notch. A buckhorn sight is legal
provided the horns have a minimum of 1/4-inch opening at the top. Sun shades
may or may not be permitted, as specified in the match program.
Fixed rear open sights may have no mechanical means of adjusting the elevation or windage, and therefore are non-adjustable in nature.
Adjustable rear open sights may have a mechanical means of adjusting elevation and windage.

With all that being said, the reason I say that it would be accepted at some ranges. It is not infrequent for the type of site you are describing to simply have tape put over the adjustment screw or screws. Some people might even drop a drop of hot wax to prove that they are not being adjusted. Personally I think anyone who adjust sites during a chunk match has for the most part done themselves a great disservice.

The site you're describing showed up at a range of other than a and NMLRA sanctioned event that I was running unless told otherwise by the promoters, I would reach in my pocket, pull out my tape and tape the screws and allow it to be shot. I think it's just good practice to promote the sport.
anctioned

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

6/26/2014 10:03 AM  #8

Thanks for the clarification.  Your comments regarding disabling the adjustment screws functions follows what I've seen in practice.  NRA rimfire sporter shooting requires max. 6x scopes and many use the Leupold 3-9 EFR.  It is common to set the magnification at 6x and tape the power ring.  I think I will make an identical sight with no adjustments that will share the same mounting screws.

Board footera